Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
[historical thread link, 2005]

http://mroogle.*************/MRoogle.gif

Waaaaay back in 2005 I "founded" :p MRoogle. MRoogle is a custom front end to Google making it easy to search different areas of MacRumors [forums, guides, entire site], and use advanced options easily to help find what you're looking for (search time periods, all words, any words, exact phrase).

I haven't posted a thread about it since the one linked at the top of this post, and thought it might be time again since there are so many new members re-posting questions :eek: :D :p. It's a useful tool and in many cases is far better for helping you to find relevant threads than vBulletin's search, and because of the extra options available also beats the Google search you find under "Search" at the top of the page.

That's all really, just making all those newer peeps aware of it's existence, and that it might just help you find the answer when looking for help in future :)

Spread the word - link to MRoogle in your signature

If you'd like to help spread the word a pre-formatted signature can be found here :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Maybe you should add a link to that blog that mentions it. This is a shameless promotion after all...

dibara2003

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007
Hawaii!
i will say, pretty cool. i do agree it would be useful for the loads of duplicate threads occurring. but if they don't use search now, idk if they'll use yours

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
That's all really, just making all those newer peeps aware of it's existence, and that it might just help you find the answer when looking for help in future :)

If you justify to the left your Signature, that might help :)
Maybe see if you can get some more members to hawk it via their signature too - it's definitely useful - i've used it and Google many a time.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sorry to bump :eek:

I've just made some changes and wanted to let anyone who uses it know about them.

I've moved to using a Custom Google search to allow for the MRoogle "branding" on the results page. I've also added two new "areas" to search specifically.

You can now search:
  • forums
  • members - new
  • guides
  • front page - new
  • entire site

Other features are the same as before. I don't think I've broken anything in making these changes, but if you spot anything please post and let me know. I'll see if I can un-b0rk it.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
ooohhhh, this is good, thank you! :)

I've been thinking about adding it for a while after I mentioned in passing a possible demi effort but only finally got around to adding it (when I saw this thread actually).

I love it as I can quite quickly find stuff I have posted long long long ago that I know is out there but is hard to get at. So thank you :)

Perhaps add the suggested signature (i.e. colour tags) here so people can add it easily. I personally went for something a little more subdued.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
MRoogle - MacRumors Site Integration?

I have used MRoogle from time to time and it is quite useful... specifically I used it to find threads I knew existed, but wasn't able to bring them up with the Advanced Search feature.

In fact it would be quite handy to have an MRoogle link right in the Advanced Search Tab... is that possible or is there too much vbulletin hacking required?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
In fact it would be quite handy to have an MRoogle link right in the Advanced Search Tab... is that possible or is there too much vbulletin hacking required?
There is already a Google search under the search option at the top of the forum. MRoogle just (IMO) does a better job and makes certain more advanced features of Google easy to use and readily available. I don't think it's something that could be integrated in to MR, nor do I imagine arn would want to anyway. It's easiest if people that want to use it just visit the site directly. It is a good and useful tool, those that do try it seems to go back and use it again :cool: :)

It's nice to see people with it in their sigs though, thanks all.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
There is already a Google search under the search option at the top of the forum. MRoogle just (IMO) does a better job and makes certain more advanced features of Google easy to use and readily available. I don't think it's something that could be integrated in to MR, nor do I imagine arn would want to anyway. It's easiest if people that want to use it just visit the site directly. It is a good and useful tool, those that do try it seems to go back and use it again :cool: :)

It's nice to see people with it in there sigs though, thanks all.

Fair enough, I knew about the google search, but MRoogle does to a better job (IMHO) hands down. I guess if I add it to my sig too at the very least I'll have a quick link for it. ;)

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Have used it a few times, and it much better than the 'search forums' included in this site, but more often than not I just use Google with

[whati'msearchingfor] site:forums.macrumors.com

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Can you wrangle a Tab at the top?

Might be worth a shot to get MRoogle Search tab added to the MR/page 2/iphone/bg/guides/forum tabs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.