Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112726-applestore_500.jpg

Apple's impressive new retail store in Shanghai, China opened today to large crowds. MICGadget provides a gallery of photos from the launch and the Wall Street Journal reports that 150 fans were waiting overnight to be the first in the Store. Apple opened the doors of its second store in the entire country on Saturday, drawing crowds of all ages as early at 5 a.m. Some drove several hours or flew in from other provinces for a chance to line up outside the cylindrical glass building. Many hoped to catch a glimpse of the iPhone 4 or of Steve Jobs, but were disappointed.
Like the company's flagship store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, the Pudong store is located below ground level and utilizes the glass tower as an iconic entryway with a glass stairway descending to the store below.

113404-tshirt.jpg

Early visitors were given free special edition t-shirts celebrating the store's opening.

Apple expects to open a second retail store in Shanghai and a total of 25 stores in China by the end of 2011.

Article Link: Shanghai's Apple Store Opens to Large Crowds

Last edited:

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I have family that live in Shanghai, unfortunately they are in Alabama right now!!! Would have been cool to see first hand photos.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Words can not express how badly I want this T-shirt....

I will be able to pick some of the fake ones up when i go back to Thailand. It’s not my thing mind you but i know a lot of people love this kind of thing.

joeonmac

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Shanghai
i was there and i got some

Photos

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I got my new iPod shuffle in polished stainless steel.

2 more photos for the t-shirt
8.jpg

Designed in California, made for China.

9.jpg

And the t-shirt is made in LA

bigrob66

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
San Francisco
Elevator?

I've seen a few others describe the entrance, but no one has mentioned an elevator or alternative public entrance for those who would be challenged by stairs - I'm just curious where it is.

joeonmac

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Shanghai
I've seen a few others describe the entrance, but no one has mentioned an elevator or alternative public entrance for those who would be challenged by stairs - I'm just curious where it is.

you can enter the place via the mall, so it will be ok if you are on the wheel chir

cryingbaby

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
WoW

That thing is sick looking. Wish I could have been there. I didn't know Apple was so popular over there either.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
That thing is sick looking. Wish I could have been there. I didn't know Apple was so popular over there either.

I live in South East Asia and Apple seem to have jump massively in popularity in the last 5 years. All my mates are going Apple, wither it’s an Iphone, MBP or desk top.

There are Apple shops everywhere and many other electrical and computer shops where you can get them. My MBP was about £150 cheaper in Thailand compared to Dubai for the exact same spec.

You obviously get lot of fake Apple stuff. I have had a Mini Iphone for a few years. It’s not that bad and i mainly use it if i am going out for a heavy night so if i damage it it doesn’t matter.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
willing to pay quite a bit if you have one, please pm me.

I am not sure when i will be back as i am in Scotland right now for family reasons. I’ll ask my mates there to have a look out. It will cost about $6 out the markets max...........Once i am back i will look myself then stick a post up :cool:

Caharin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
May the picture in this article remind us Americans of a universal truth: Never, ever get involved in a land-based war with China. :eek:

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I like the shirt! Nice design and strategic message to the Chinese consumer.

rishimaharaj0

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
I will be able to pick some of the fake ones up when i go back to Thailand. It’s not my thing mind you but i know a lot of people love this kind of thing.

It would be really neat if I could purchase one from you.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
It would be really neat if I could purchase one from you.

No worries. I will forget about this, but i should be back in a month or two, and i have just sent a PM to a few lads in Pattaya where i live and i know they’ll have a look. It’ll probably be 3-4 weeks before they hit the streets. Even if they don’t hit the streets i know enough people that sell fake stuff and will order them up :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.