Share Your 8.3 Performance, Stability and Battery Life Observations (Per Device)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bboucher790, Apr 8, 2015.

1. bboucher790, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

With each update, people want to know how the update performs on specific devices. Hopefully this thread can give people an idea how 8.3 will perform on their device.

When replying, please use this format.

iPhone 6
    8.3 OTA from 8.2

Performance Impressions: Easily the fastest version of iOS 8. 8.3 is extremely responsive. Feels faster than any version of iOS 8 or 7. App launching is noticeably faster, as is the keyboard.

Stability: All of my apps work fine

Battery Life: No abnormal battery drain. Noticing improved battery life. I'm currently at 5 hours 10 minutes usage w/ 33% remaining. I'm pretty hard on my battery, so this is very good battery life for my usage.

2. EpsilonExordium macrumors member

EpsilonExordium

My iphone 6+ has sitting at ~99% complete installation for the past 30 minutes. I think it's frozen. Not sure what to do.

3. bradkrischel, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

bradkrischel macrumors 6502

iPhone 6
    8.3 OTA from 8.2

Performance Impressions: I'm having issues with the stock keyboard freezing the last letter typed on the keyboard.

Stability: All apps working fine except for the keyboard issue mentioned above.

Battery Life: Can't report on battery life yet.

4. TheRainKing, Apr 8, 2015

TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

5. bboucher790 thread starter macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Hey guys please use the format I provided in the OP, thanks.

6. Mesut macrumors newbie

Mesut

I'm having the same problem.

iPhone 6
    8.3 OTA from 8.2

7. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

My iPhone is been working 100% with no issues . No freezing (finally) although I'm kind of bummed because I had to lose my JB. But it has to be done because I'm going to be an Apple ⌚️ Owner very soon ##

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Just installed so will test and see how I go. Snappier so far, battery life will be an update later as too soon to say.

Cyanide & Happiness still broken swiping up or down crashes app.. Happened in 8.2 as well.

9. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

iPhone 6
    OTA update to 8.3 from 8.2

App Store doesn't work

The only screen on which I get anything is the updates, everything else is completely blank

Featured = blank screen
    Top Charts = blank screen
    Explore = blank screen
    Search = blank screen
    Updates = working as normal

Not saying this is 8.3 related, but it was working before.

10. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

How is performance on the Air 1, mini 2, or mini 3? UI Stutter is what I'm mostly wondering about because UI is stuttery as hell on my mini 2 running 8.2. It is making me not want to buy another iPad because the UI is so quirky and stuttery.

And don't come in saying that "It's smooth as ever! No frame drops here on 8.2, you need to set up as new." I have demonstrated all of my issues with iOS 8 on my friends regular Air, and many retina minis in the Apple Store. People who respond in that way are blessed with not-so-sensitive eyes when it comes to frame rate. The issues are there, it's just whether you notice them or are bothered by them.

12. cairene2011 Guest

Just installed it on my iPad mini retina 2 a couple minutes ago and can't believe how much snappier it is!! Actually, I came only online to see if others made a similar experience. Can't complain... Yet ;)

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Lol OP did you actually expect people to follow a simple request on MacRumors?

iPhone 6 Plus
    8.3 OTA from 8.3b4

Performance Impressions: Pretty much the same as 8.3b4. Quite a bit better than 8.2 though. Overall pretty happy that it finally (since 8.0) doesn't suck ass.

Stability: Pretty legit. There are still some bugs here and there but it's a nice big step in the right direction.

Battery Life: Comparable to the betas. Better than 8.2 again.

14. prk60091 macrumors member

Original iPad Air (wifi)hasn't felt this zippy since the day I bought it. Do not know about battery life.

15. deviant macrumors 65816

iPad air 1 is flawless.

16. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

iPad Air 2 and iPhone 5s:

Performance, stability, and battery life- significantly improved in all 3 areas on both my devices.

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

iPhone 6
    8.3 OTA from 8.3pb2

Like the poster above mentioned, performance is not noticeably changed from the beta but everything is running great in my eyes. Battery life has been amazing since I jumped into the beta thing. Definite improvement over 8.2.

Happiest I have been with a phone in a long time.

18. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

So far so good.

Freshly restored my iPhone 4s. Still a bit herky jerky and dropping frames so that's disappointing. The only recent version that was smooth was iOS 7.1.x. Reduce transparency helps as usual, but sacrifices the look of the UI.

iPhone 6 Plus is running significantly better than 8.1 and marginally better than 8.2. Animations are smoother and animations are more fluid.

iPad 2, mini 2, and Air 1 have yet to be updated. The iPad 2 and Air are POS devices, so probably won't make a big difference there. iPad 2 has been running very smooth for it's age so far with 8.1.1 and up.

Yeah, throw me in the "I miss iOS 6 and under" camp, but 8.3 is fine and dandy. Got to get with the times at some point. I will however stick to Mavericks till Yosemite's successor though. But that's for another thread :)

19. deviant, Apr 8, 2015

deviant macrumors 65816

deleted

Nevermind, i guess i misunderstood what POS meant haha

20. MecPro macrumors 6502

I'm having issues with the last number staying enlarged on the keyboard too

Same with Emoji snd some letters more rarely.

iPhone 6+
    OTA from the last version (not sure what it was)

21. puma1552 macrumors 601

I must be the only one with worse battery life on my 6. I've lost 9% in about 20 minutes of browsing since the update finished. Full brightness, bluetooth and wifi on, but it was never like this until 8.3...?

22. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Share Your 8.3 Performance, Stability and Battery Life Observations (Per Device)

Hmm my iPhone says I'm now using 110GB of storage space and have 4.1 GB available.

That can't be right. On 8.2 I had about 40GB of free space and if I add up everything that shows under storage, I should still have about 40GB free.

Dunno what's going on here...

Also, I've noticed iTunes Radio will randomly pause, and it's been glitching like crazy. I just pressed play after it kept pausing itself and I watched it start flickering and the song kept skipping about 30 times without anything playing. I just closed down the music app and will try it later.

23. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

24. oldmacs macrumors 68040

iPad 2 -

MUCH BETTER. Animations rendering much more like iOS 7 with minimal lag and jittering. Safari seems to load faster, everything seems a bit snappier. Not suer about battery life.

iPad Mini 2-

Just as bad as 8.2 if not worse. More jittering and lag, slowness, Mail keeps crashing etc.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

iPhone 5s
    8.3 Ota from 8.2

After 5 hours mine is doing this also. What's up with this?