Share Your Nostalgic Gaming Memories

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dark Void, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi MacRumors,

I wanted to create a thread where everyone can share memories and experiences about their favorite Mac and/or PC titles that they are most nostalgic about. I have been PC gaming for about 12 years until I decided that there wasn't anything out there or being released that appealed to me anymore, and I found that living in the past with it was much more enjoyable than actually sitting down and getting into it. I have now moved to casually gaming on console (PS3) with some offline titles, mostly RPGs. I really would like to share some memories of the game that I am most nostalgic about, a game that I will always consider to be "the best" even if is is no longer thriving. I would really love to read about your memories as well, if you would be so kind to share.

The game that I am most nostalgic about is Age of Conan. This was an MMORPG that launched back in 2008 based off of Robert E. Howard's writings in the land of Hyboria. It was a supposed "WoW killer" (much like any MMO that has ever launched) although its subscriber base quickly fell and today it is left with a thinning player base. It is currently Free to Play, but its Item Shop essentially makes it a Buy to Win title. It's unfortunate to see it succumb to that, but what an amazing game this was. The graphics, the music, and most importantly the atmosphere. If you have never tried this game, I would advise at least trying it. I'm going to be speaking in the past tense regarding the game from this point on - I have played it off and on from its launch date until less than a year ago. I thought it would be a decent idea to include the information above to let it be known that the game does still exist - although somewhat as a shell of its former self. It was such a fun experience and I want to continue talking about things that nobody here probably will have an idea of, but hopefully some do, and furthermore hopefully everyone enjoys the read regardless of having played the game and it inspires you to share your similar experiences.

There were 12 classes in the game and 4 different archtypes - Soldiers, Rogues, Mages, and Priests. Of the soldiers, there was the Guardian, Conquerer, and the Dark Templar - the Rogues had the Barbarian, Assassin, and Ranger - the Demonologist, Necromancer and Herald of Xotli were the mages - and Priest of Mitra, Tempest of Set, and Bear Shaman of the Priests. The breakdown was pretty simple, but one interesting thing about the game was that everyone could use stealth ("hiding") but Rogues were more efficient at it - they moved faster within it and did not lose stamina (later, "Energy" was added as this resource). The combat system used a series of directional attacks to complete attacks and combos, you started with 3 (upper left, middle, and upper right) and ended up with 5 after level 40 (lower left, lower right - level cap was and still is 80). I have played every class, but mostly stuck with Barbarian, even though it was essentially the worst class at level cap. I just loved the style of the class. Of all of these classes, "Races" did exist but did not provide any benefit or starting zone - only a perceived backstory. These were the Aquilonians, Cimmerians, Sygians, and later Khitans.

The best part of the game was the atmosphere. I really loved the music and the scenery in the zones. I believe there was something for everyone in that game - I mostly stuck to the Cimmerian zones as they were the more snowy/forested/mountainous type. PvP was a blast but my favorite gameplay was solo PvE. It was such an immersive experience, I literally felt as though I was the character as dramatic as that sounds. The quest lines were fun, and on a world PvP server, it seemed like such a real experience. The groups oriented content such as raiding and PvP minigames were enjoyable, but there was nothing like just being alone in this environment. It built upon the atmosphere entirely, and it truly felt like you had to complete the tasks and defend yourself from other players. Using the hiding ability all across the map, striking when necessary, attacking and defending yourself against other players, completing your quests and discovering the land. There was a pretty big sense of completion in that game besides what is present in some games that are so linear today.

One of my favorite things to do was deck out low-level characters and participate in PvP in these starting areas. It was common for a lot of players to do the same, and the combat and PvP was so much more interesting at a low level. There was a server that the development team introduced later on, with "Blood and Glory PvP" - which was basically open world PvP with all city/village/outpost guards removed from the game. So basically, anywhere you were, you could be killed by another player. This made the experience even more raw and realistic. I made a character once on this particular new server (at the time of course) that started from scratch, basically earned my money for gear and other essentials by killing other players. They did not drop their currency and resources, but killing them basically spawned them much like killing regular mobs out in the wild. There was nothing more satisfying that fighting your way through and increasing your strengths and levels as you moved through all of these zones and fought off all of these mobs and players.

There was a lot to do in the game despite the reasons that everyone had basically up and left. I basically had more fun in that game than I ever had in any other PC title. While the game is basically now mostly dead compared to what it was, it will always be special to me and it will always be my favorite game that I am most nostalgic about. It was my first really commitment to an MMORPG, and I met many people, friends, and more throughout the years within the game. It truly was an amazing experience that I don't think can ever be matched. I hope to hear from at least some of the readers here on this sub-forum about your memories of your favorite title or titles. I'm really looking forward to it and thank you for reading about mine.

2. urbanracer34 macrumors member

I am nostalgic about all kinds of games, but I'll tell you one I still play today with my dad: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer.

It came to us under unusual circumstances (piracy, but not on our part and, no, I'm not discussing it further than this post). My dad sent a friend a hard drive with data to burn to a CD-R back in the 1990s. He sent a disc with more data than we asked for: Connectix Video Game station (which jump started me into my PlayStation gaming "career", 17 years), Tomb Raider and Star Wars Racer.

We installed the game (Racer) on our only mac, an old 233MHz Power Mac G3. We both played it till we beat it several times.

We eventually got a couple iMacs to replace our old G3 (we still have it, in fact, I had to fire it up a while back to do something on it.) and we began playing multiplayer against each other. We still do off and on, the Racer game sent on that disc is one of the main reasons we keep several PPC macs in our house!

3. danny_w macrumors 601

For me it has to be Loom (1990 Lucas Arts) which my brother in law gave me back around 1992. It just sat on the shelf for years until my son got old enough and asked what it was. That was the beginning of many happy years of gaming for us both. We enjoyed many other games together (adventure, RPGs, console, shooters, etc) but I will always remember the one that started it all. I could also list Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Simon the Sorcerer, Stonekeep, Kings Quest, Tex Murphy, Heretic, Syberia, and many others.

4. Huntn, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Marathon Arena Play, Half Life, Unreal Tournament, System Shock 2, World of Warcraft Year 1. Marathon can currently be played as a solo iOS game! :)

Ode to Marathon
    The world is normal, life is good, until reality comes to a screeching halt. Feebly, I raise my arm and point. Gibberish drools from my mouth as I see a vision. The music vibrates my soul and the army choir sings- “da...da da-da-da......MARATHON”! A fleeting alien figure comes hurtling up the long corridor zapping me with electric shocks. And with just a pistol, I rise to the occasion- blam! blam! to take care of this menace. Despite my wife rolling her eyes, life just got better.

Where am I? The Year: 1994. My Mac Performa (68030 processor) is in the shop to be upgraded to a brand new PowerMac 7100. The dark corridores of the Starship Marathon reveal themselves on the Marathon demo. Besieged with Pfhor, S’pht (no, I don’t have a speech impediment), a rogue-personality-construct named Durandal, and assorted alien critters, it could be argued that Marathon is the single most influential game series ever to grace the Mac’s desktop. With an ancestry dating back to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, and Pathways Into Darkness, Marathon was the first good looking First Person Shooter (FPS). It had textures, atmosphere, a story, maximum action, lots of alien scum to shoot, it ran without any special graphics hardware, and Mac users had it! Although it did require a PowerPC processor. While the PC minions were drooling over Doom (the poor deluded fools), Mac users were truely blessed with a superior gaming experience.

The first series started with little fanfare, as you arrive on the Starship Marathon. Something is terribly wrong here. And immediately you are assulted. The series is a story of heroism (yours), manipulation (Durandal’s), and target practise, lots of it as you search and explore exotic environments, search and destroy hostile aliens. The series wisked you from the vacuum of space, to planetside vistas, cool blue waters and sometimes, the bubbly green slime of the sewers. Marathon never dissapointed.

And greater than the solo story was the J-O-Y, yes the joy of multiplayer gaming. It’s multiplayer capabilities brought gamers together for countless LAN parties. I have probably forgotten more memorable moments than I can remember, there are so many of them. I remember my amazement that 4-8 players and their computers could be syncronized in a common arena for such good-willed carnage. Grenade hopping. The Bobs running around getting in your way, while shouting “they’re everywhere!”. The pesky floating bots that collapsed in a plume of smoke. The over grown, sludge-throwing sewer rats. The easy long shots when we were all new to this game. The splat of guts on the wall after a dead-on rocket impact. The juggernauts. The insane adreniline rush of double sawed-off shotguns in a small arena.

My list of favorite arenas is a huge one, but here are a few - Circular Death, Mutiny is Good, For a Few Shotguns More, Hata, Egan-rac, Mars Needs Women, B’rak Station, and most of the Randall Shaw (FrigidMan) maps (not already mentioned).

This outstanding game fulfilled my gaming needs for a good 7 years. Quite a run! At the last LAN party I attended (July 2002), we broke out Marathon and gave it one last shot. And sadly, the MacOS (classic v9.2) has seemed to have left Marathon behind. No one could get decent mouse performance from it. Although the Sun is setting is Marathon, its influence and spirit lives on in games such as Unreal Tournament (with it’s Marathon Mods), Quake 3 Arena, and most significantly in the Microsoft/Bungie X-Box consol game, “Halo”, where you can still play “skull” games. I think I’m getting teary. So I’ll wrap this up by saying, “Marathon- thanks for the memories! You got me addicted to computer gaming and my wife (whom I’m still happily married to) will never forgive you.”
    (my authored reprinted nostalgia piece from 2002)

5. bradl, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Does Leisure Suit Larry count? :p

Seriously (and yes, I'm really going to date myself.. I was 8! ), outside of the occasional game of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D that I enjoyed in the 90s, I'm going to go a bit further back into 8-bit world where we would have the beginning of those archetypes happening, which was the early 80s. Intellivision had the license to use the Dungeons & Dragons trademark back then, and came out with two great RPGs at that time: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: The Treasure of Tarmin. They still own the copyrights to the games, but when they went on hiatus, the license to the names expired. Now, they are called Crown of Kings and Minotaur, respectively. Clip of one of them is below:

Playing that on a Saturday night with the lights off all but made me need to empty my pants.

Additionally, they had another two games based off of Tron, called Tron: Deadly Discs, and the RPG, Maze-a-Tron. Maze-a-Tron was another one of those games that was RPG-based, that you could play for hours, because each way you went was different from the last game you played.

BL.

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

There are too many to count.

Starting in chronological order, playing Commander Keen and Biomenace on my Dads old Windows 3.11 machine me and my brother inherited. We knew of other games consoles, but these games were the first we actually had at home to play. We used to watch Dad play the original Prince of Persia which we later found on a floppy and installed. I still remember that game fondly, though I never managed to make it to the final boss without using a level skip.

Moving on from there, trying (and mostly watching) my older cousin play Zool on the Amiga. We weren't really allowed to play with it, just spectate. Some time later, his younger brother managed to convince their mum to pick up a used Mega Drive and this time I was allowed to play. I spent my summer holidays playing Streets of Rage, Sonic, Golden Axe and some generic football game that came bundled on a 5 in one cart. My first proper console experience.

Around the time I was finishing primary school, my dad brought me and my brothers our first home console- the original PlayStation. We loved that thing. Connecting a multi-tap to play WWF Smackdown 2 4-way (and me dominating as Kane), days playing Gran Turismo with my siblings and cousins (yes, we would actually play through the simulation mode together, buying cars which interested us individually, tuning the crap out of them then seeing who had the fastest), and playing Resident Evil 3, again with my cousins. We'd take turns playing while the others would point out herbs and whatnot, or shout out advice.

On the next generation, Halo was my obsession. In our family, this was the only game we played together and it got competitive. We'd skip sleep to have these epic death matches. It was kind of a golden time, Halo 2 and the other sequels didn't really interest everyone in the same way.

About a year and a half ago, me and my brothers bundled up three Xbox 360s in one room with the entire Gears of War series and just bulldozed our way through. I really wish the entire series allowed for 4 player co-op for the entire campaign. We did single player where necessary or split up until we could do so.

That's about it I guess. I've not stopped gaming since I was a kid, and even now new games consoles sit pretty under my TV. I play a lot of single player games nowadays, but I usually just forget about the games once I'm done. My fondest memories are the ones where I'm playing with others. Not online, but all in one room and sharing the controller when necessary.

7. maroot macrumors member

Ahhh, Marathon. Loved that game. My first game on a Mac was Balance of Power, and that *may* have been the first game to come out on a Mac. That along with Fool's Errand and Dark Castle. Before that I was big into Apple II gaming with fond memories of Olympic Decathlon with friends. Crossfire was a favorite, too.

I mostly game on my PC now with a fondness for FPSers like Tomb Raider, Black Mesa, Fallout series, and since I am old, I love Pinball Arcade, since I grew up playing pinball. I am 64.

8. foobarbazqux, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

foobarbazqux macrumors regular

As far as PC gaming goes when I was a kid, I spent almost all my time playing the Ultima games, the Monkey Island games, and all the Sierra "Quest" games, starting with Kings Quest I. To this day, they're still some of my favorite games.

I remember always wanting to know what it was like to be able to play those games with a Roland MT-32 (the ones that supported it that is). That thing cost a fortune when I was a kid and there was no way I was ever going to have it back then. So, about 5 years ago or so I bought a Roland MT-32 off ebay and replayed a bunch of them. Every once in a while I pull it out and play one or two of them. If anybody's curious, you can get a real MT-32 to work with the GOG versions of those games, which is what I do these days.

Yes, it very much does :) I played the original a bunch when I was a kid along with all the sequals. I hated those "are you old enough to play this game" questions it asked you when you started it up; if only we had google back then.

9. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Thank you all for sharing, glad this thread seems to be well interpreted in its good nature. :)

I really enjoyed reading all of these. I saw the mention of the multi-tap accessory and it brought back fond memories of Gauntlet Dark Legacy for PS2. Not exactly a PC title of course, but that game was a huge part of my childhood. I hope at least someone here remembers Gauntlet. There were games in the series on Nintendo prior to Dark Legacy on Playstation. I think that game was amazing and so ahead of its time. It's still such an enjoyable RPG.

For PC, Call of Duty 2 deserves a mention. Call of Duty is shot in my eyes today (no pun intended) but 1 and 2 were its golden days in my opinion. Battlefield 2 as well - same outlook on this franchise, and 1942 and 2 were some of the best games.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

First generation Medal of Honor and Call of Duty were both incredibly good.

11. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I loved CoD and CoD2. Medal of Honor is something that I played a lot on PS2 as well. I really miss when those games were so much fun.

12. dalstott macrumors member

dalstott

Anyone remember VV the directors cut (virtualvalerie) by Reactor software which also produced Spaceship Warlock and Screaming Metal. Considered racy in 1992 but would draw a yawn today. It runs best with an 030 or 040 chip as the sound is compromised with a PPC.

From MacWorld
    "The graphic environments, navigation, original music,and game playing aspects make it the most progressive CD-ROM work done to date, BAR NONE."

From Playboy
    "One interactive turn-on is Virtual Valerie... She's a party girl who lives in a penthouse to which you gain acesswith your trusty mouse."

In game there was a panic button to press which brought up a notice of back up activity in place of the game screen in case the boss or other authority was approaching.

panic.png

13. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

MSFL - Micro Sports Football League. Ran it on my old MAC SE - awesome game - rosters of teams throughout history - set a game plan and run a league. My group of friends would meet every Friday night and run the games - if I remember right there were 72 questions you answered to set up a game plan .

It was a blast with very low end graphics --- x and o

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nfl-pro-league-football_

14. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Haha, I used to play this, never beat it though.

15. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I came up through plug into the TV pong machines, Atari 2600, Intellivision, Spectrum, Amstrad, Amiga, PS1 etc, Apple Mac and some I have forgotten and missed out. Way to much games nostalgia in amongst that lot to write here about.

I loved it all and enjoyed every minute of every game and machine used :)

16. spencers, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Early years... Grew up playing Doom, Marathon, Shufflepuck, Pathways into Darkness, Wolfenstein 3D, Glider Pro, Stunt Copter

Pre-teen years... Blizzard fanboy! Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft.

Teenage years... Built a gaming PC and remember playing Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield 1942. Doom 3 was one of my best memories... Turned off all the lights and had the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 turned up. Attending QuakeCon was an awesome LAN party experience.

College years... Played Counter Strike Source when I had the time.

More recently... Portal 2 was a really, really good game. Working on Wolfenstein New Order, which is quite fun!

/pcmasterrace

17. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I was into the original Wolfenstein games when I was younger. It's a really neat series. I finished New Order a while ago and found it to be a pretty interesting game.

18. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Treasure Island (A:/ anyone?)
    Zork Grand Inquisitor
    Duck Hunt
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein

It's been all downhill since then. Kids these days...

19. tomvos macrumors 6502

tomvos

While my friends had a Commodore C128 computer on which we played many games, at home my parents bought a "serious" computer - a PC/AT with a 286 CPU and an EGA graphics adapter (16 colours at 640x350, however most games used 320x200 at 16 colours).

Well, I think the game I remember most fondly is Sid Meier's Civilization. Mainly because of the huge replay value. I don't want to know how many hours I have spent leading my humble settlers into space. It was always winning the space race, I hated conquering the world. It seemed odd to me that a game with a title so similar to the word "civilized" offered such a barbaric method like "conquer the world" to win the game. Perhaps this was due to the fact that Germany was a reunited country since a few months. So basically we all knew that war was bad idea - like in splitting a country for about 30 years.

Another game I really liked was called Stunts. You could race some tracks with lots of cars. The fun part was the race track editor which allowed to build race tracks as crazy as we could imagine. Loops? Check! Ramps? Check! Obstacles? Check! It was just great to build a track and then taking turns at completing the track as fast as possible.

Finally, I'd like to mention the original SimCity. While crude compared to SimCity 2000 it was one of the games at this time which was novel in it's idea and excellent in its execution. The game play was fantastic.

I really think it was a great time to be a gamer.

20. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

My most nostalgic memories are coming from 2008 year, when I started playing World of Warcraft. It was first hit for me of any type of Massively Multiplayer game. Bah. It was first game that I played online multiplayer of any type. Leveling on Hinterlands when I met my friends... Unspeakable. I was playing Dwarf(Chaaaaaarge!) Retribution Paladin, he was playing Draenei Enhancement Shaman. The other one friend was playing Beast Mastery Night Elf Hunter. The boosts through the Scarlet Monastery. First kill with my guild of Magtheridon, when people had completely no idea how to play on Raids whatsoever, apart from Karazhan, and a little of Zul'Aman. Absolutely best time of gaming life for me. However, first nostalgic memory comes from 2002 year, and the year of I think biggest hits. Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft 3.
    The next was I think Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War. Absolutely mental universe, absolutely mental RTS game. Thats when I fell in love with Sci-Fi worlds(before I was "fantasy person").
    And the next game, that I have to today is Test Drive Unlimited. I absolutely loved it.

I was playing in even earlier years games like ROOT(kudos to people who remember this game), Duke Nukem 3D, first hit of Unreal.

However. I think right now Im also in nostalgic times. Again Blizzard gets to the performance levels of World of Warcraft at its best where they give not one best game, but few. Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, which I think is the best MOBA there is right now, and soon Im absolutely drooling when I see films from Overwatch.

21. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

This is a slightly dodgy admission but it's also my favourite gaming memory from the best time to be a gamer...

In the late 80s I used to write off to piracy ads in legitimate games mags that said 'Amiga contacts wanted, send list'.

You'd send the person a list of your games, they'd send you some discs with games you hadn't got and a request for some particular games in exchange, and pretty soon you'd be swapping discs on a regular basis.

We even used to pirate the postal service. We used padded envelopes which we'd wrap in thick packing tape to make them indestructible. The stamps would go on top, stuck down with a layer of clear tape. There would be a reversible label with our addresses on, also wrapped in clear tape, and when the games arrived you'd take out the discs, copy a batch of something else, flip the label over and wipe your thumb over the tape-covered stamps to remove the frank mark. Off to the post box, repeat.

I used to receive a batch of six or eight discs at least once a week, and built up a pretty big game collection. The 'cracktros' the hackers would put at the start of the games were often more impressive than the games themselves.

22. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The Myth series of games started by Bungie. Some of the multiplayer battles were epic :D.

23. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

I grew up playing sonic the hedgehog, street fighter and other games on the sega megadrive.

Then came pokemon, and then zelda, mario 64 and others on the n64

Zelda for me was the game i really fell into.

Doom 3, wolfenstein, Star wars podracer all are ones i rememeber fondly.

Now my xbox gathers dust but i will upgrade when fallout 4 comes out as i've clocked some serious hours on number 3 and new vegas!

Gaming will always be a part of me, but as life moves on i've had less and less time to enjoy another reality.

24. Dc2006ster, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

Dc2006ster macrumors regular

Continuing in the dodgy admission vein. In the mid 80s some games were copy protected but that protection could often be bypassed using Locksmith. The games were on 5 1/4 inch floppy discs with a write protect notch on one side. These were expensive at $50 for 10 with a capacity of about 160 kB per side. They were labelled as single sided but we would punch a notch on the other side and so created double sided discs. I heard stories of people magnetizing single hole punches which would then corrupt the data on discs when a person punched that second hole.

The first personal computers in our college were Apple ][s and one christmas we were allowed to take them home. This was a good move because it generated a lot of interest and we very quickly purchased our own. A group of us got together and purchased Olympic Decathlon produced by a small company called Microsoft. Wonder what happened to them. Armed with Locksmith we made everyone a copy in the afternoon before christmas break. If memory serves this game consisted of the 10 decathlon events where the athletes or objects such as javelins were keyboard characters e.g. < which were controlled using the keyboard. e.g. A is left, S is right W is up Z is down.

Another favourite that succumbed to Locksmith was Castle Wolfenstein . In this game the characters were stick like figures that you navigated, again using ASWZ, from room to room attempting to escape from the castle from under the eyes of troops or SS using such tools as grenades or a uniform, German troops or SS . Very crude 2D where “rooms" were plan view and walls were lines on the screen, but it kept many adult instructors and there families entertained circa approx 1983.

I can’t recall if there was colour but if there was it was at most 5 or so colours,