Shared iPad 2, anyway to limit access to email?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrMister111, Mar 30, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I've just got my 1st iPad, its an iPad 2.

This will be used by myself mainly, but also by my kids and if I can encourage her, the wife.

So I dont really want access for them on my email, is there anyway to limit access? or should I just not use email on my iPad and use my iPhone 4 instead?

cheers

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

My advice is to use a web based client to check your mail if you've got the option. Gmail on safari is pretty nice. Otherwise, I think you're sol. iPads don't have the user profiles to limit otherwise.

3. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

i was basically going to say the same thing. if you don't want them messing anything up (or finding out about your affair <joke>) then I just wouldn't setup the email through the mail app at all.

4. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yep, there's no way to keep accounts in the e-mail app separate or password protected individually.

If you have an e-mail you want to keep private, use a web based one as suggested above and only use whatever account you have in the e-mail app for things you don't need to keep private from other users of your iPad.

5. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

You could create a folder called "Dad's Stuff" and put the Mail App inside there. Then tell your kids that they aren't allowed to play with those Apps.

Unless you're trying to hide convos with a mistress, that should work for your wife too;)

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not interested in JB really thanks, suppose webmail is the way, forgot about that cheers!

I think iOS5 will have some kind of profiles surely. iPads are meant to be shared...

8. candybaws, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  9. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Exactly! There's no way I'm letting anyone else get their grubby hands on my iPad :D

10. aughsum Guest

I'd prefer profiles. It's a coffee table computer.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't see profiles being implemented either.

12. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Get a cheap wifi ipad 1 for the family to mess around with...@399 new they are a steal, i bet on amazon or ebay used ones can be had for even cheaper

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Remember to logout after your check your email via the web; if not, you still have the same problem. Closing Safari is not enough.

14. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Another option is to use Atomic Web Browser and always keep private mode enabled. That way it doesn't track history, store cookies or keep anything logged in after exiting.

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Turn on restrictions, which is password protected. You'll have to unrestrict and then rerestrict every time you let it out of your hands. Or just leave it restricted unless you want to check your mail.

16. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You wil actually have to go Into settings, make your mail inactive and then turn restrictions on to prevent others from making your account active.

But really, if you're so concerned about hiding your email from your wife, you might want to consider some marriage counseling.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Really now?

18. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Please...spoken like someone who has never been married or in a longterm relationship. Anyone who has been in one will know that privacy (as much as sharing with each other in the relationship) is an important part of a healthy relationship.

19. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It can be used that way, but I don't think that's what it's meant to be. A tablet is more like a 21st century PIM (personal information manager) with extended abilities. It really does work best as a personal rather than communal device.

20. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It does.

But at the price, it's going to be more economical often times for a couple of family to share one since the cost is pretty much the same as mid level laptop or desktop these days.

So it would be nice (though I don't need it) for them to add profiles, or way to password protect individual e-mail accounts etc.

21. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yep.

Plus if we're talking a work e-mail account, sometimes there are confidentiality issues where no one but the recipient is supposed to see the content etc. Though it's probably just best not to link such e-mail accounts to a tablet or smartphone that is more easily lost than a computer.

22. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Privacy should be respected not guarded. And, indeed, I am married.

23. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That.

24. sillyrabbitt, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

i understand the OPs issues i have the same worry. not that i give a care if my wife reads my email but i dont want my kids sending any by accident etc...

i looked into atomic browser which sounds like the best plan. but when i am in gmail on atomic and then exit out (hit the home button) then go back in i am stilled logged into gmail?????? how do you exit out?

25. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Are you using private mode in Atomic? That should log you out I'd think. Otherwise you'd have to manually sign out of gmail.