Shazam Brings Always-On Music and TV Recognition to Mac With Free Menu Bar App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Music recognition service Shazam, which was one of the early App Store hits and has continued to see good success on mobile platforms, is now bringing its services to the desktop in the form of the first music, TV show, and ad recognition app for Mac.

Running as a menu bar item, Shazam for Mac quietly monitors audio around the user's Mac and provides not only pop-up notifications of the content being played but also easy access to supplemental content such as lyrics, additional tracks from the album, purchasing options such as the iTunes Store, music videos, social sharing options, and more.

[​IMG]
    Once content has been identified by Shazam, a standard Notification Center pop-up appears onscreen, and an entry for the item is added to the running list of Shazam IDs in the menu bar app. Clicking in either location takes the user to a dedicated page on the web for the identified content.

MacRumors spoke with Shazam's Chief Product Officer Daniel Danker about the launch, and Danker highlighted the utility of Shazam for Mac in the context of the popularity of lyrics searches on the Internet. With Shazam's dedicated track pages on the web, Shazam for Mac seamlessly directs users to high-quality lyrics presented in a responsive layout appropriate for various screen sizes and without ads or other distractions.

[​IMG]
    In our testing of Shazam for Mac, the app generally did a solid job of picking up audio and quickly identifying the tracks being played. It is of course limited by the number of tracks available in Shazam's database, and on an eclectic mix of tracks Shazam was unable to identify some of the tracks. Identification was generally solid, however, and came fairly quickly after the track began playing.

Beyond music, Shazam also works with television channels in the U.S., and Shazam for Mac was able to identify a number of shows and movies airing on a nearby television. Clicking on the item's listing in Shazam offers quick access to content such as cast information, IMDB and Wikipedia listings, and more. With over 160 U.S. TV channels included in Shazam's database, content can even be identified from the commercials being played between segments. Even ads such as Apple's latest "Stickers" commercial for the MacBook Air can be identified by Shazam.

Shazam for Mac marks the next step in the service's evolution as the company seeks to integrate its platform into users' daily technology experience. Its always-on status builds upon the Auto Shazam functionality added to the iOS app late last year. Shazam has also entered into a partnership with Apple that will see Shazam's music identification services integrated with Siri, allowing users to quickly and easily ask Siri to identify the music playing around them.

As for the future of Shazam for Mac and the service in general, Danker noted the company is working to build seamless connections with streaming music services to aid listeners, and also enhancing the lyrics experiencing with syncing and other features.

Shazam for Mac [Direct Link] is a free app launching today in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Shazam Brings Always-On Music and TV Recognition to Mac With Free Menu Bar App

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

This will be useful for identifying tracks in DJ Mixes without a track listing.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Will definitely be reading the entire privacy policy before I install this.

5. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Hmmm... A live mike with a network connection running 24/7 on my desk. What could go wrong?

This could have been really cool, but you just can't trust anyone anymore...

6. Jsameds macrumors 68030

No.

Next question.

7. Mums Suspended

Mums

Yet another one.

8. outback1313 macrumors newbie

It has been a long time since I've seen something with the "Mac Store" on the front page of MR. Everything is usually "App Store" :p

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

isnt that bad for battery life

probably, just like any other US service

"In February 2014 IT experts discovered that the Android version of Shazam surreptitiously sends private data to at least two advertising portals."

10. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I don't see how as my iMac doesn't have a battery. Or will it gain one by installing this app? That would be neat.

11. bushido Suspended

bushido

a macbook is also a mac last time i checked

12. PocketSand11 macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

Oh come on, in the first comment. You're inb4 "inb4 NSA" comments :p

What I'm worried about is that this would waste battery and bandwidth on a laptop.

13. Yumbo macrumors 6502

14. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

15. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Yes another way Apple can get your money!

That said I've used it on my iPhone for years and it appears to work, depending on back ground sounds.

Problem is it doesn't know where the music is coming from, picking up songs played via iTunes.

16. Serban Suspended

17. KernelG macrumors member

KernelG

This app does nothing on my Mac Pro, except show that countdown from 4:00:00. I have to use a third party mic, of course (a Logitech web cam, which is set as default input and the level is good—Mavericks dictation works perfectly). There are no Shazam settings aside from Launch on Startup, and no other active display, so I have no idea what's going on with this app. :confused:

18. JelleVandeVelde macrumors newbie

Just installed it on my MacBook and it works as good as the mobile app…

Though it's too bad you can't log in with your Shazam account so that your tags will be synced between devices. Also, it would be great if you could identify a song 'on demand' like in the mobile app, by clicking on a button.

PS: A setting to choose for a monochrome version of the logo would be great! Coloured menu item really annoy me because it doesn't feel all that 'native' designwise.

Attached Files:

19. JelleVandeVelde macrumors newbie

Maybe you can try to check your privacy settings for your mic? A lot of mobile users do have the same problem, where their Shazam app doesn't have the access to the mic and can't to his job.

20. Serban Suspended

How can i clear the list of founded tracks ?
    or we can't?

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's not working here either. I know it's not the music I'm playing either, neither is it my microphone. BLEH at the blue icon in the menubar too, heh.

22. JelleVandeVelde macrumors newbie

You just can't. It feels more like an early beta than a finished product…
    Though it does what is primarily has to do here: identifying the music that plays.

23. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Runs great on my Mac Mini. My Mac doesn't have a microphone so Shazam is actually really useless, but is shows a countdown for four hours, which is great.

24. KernelG, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

KernelG macrumors member

KernelG

Good idea, but no change. I'm assuming that you're talking about adding the app to System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility. If not there, where?

Their Getting Started support doc says "You must ensure that your on-board microphone is enabled and set to an input volume high enough to detect external media." (emphasis mine)

Anyone else on a Mac Pro or Mac mini having any luck?

25. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

I don't see using this on my laptop. On the phone is where this belongs.