Sherlock Holmes Movie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ViciousShadow21, May 7, 2009.

1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Who else here is excited for the new Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law?

[​IMG]

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Though I don't picture him as Holmes at all, I will admit he's got the natural ability and confidence to perhaps pull it off very well.

Nobody will even come close to Jeremy Brett. He was Sherlock Holmes.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i didn't even know about this movie. but i would be interested in seeing it though

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Gotta admit, RD Jr has made a great come back from the low place he was.

5. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im interested because in an interview they say that this will go back to the more nitty gritty Sherlock Holmes of the original books. i didnt like how he became this kind of old english man who solved mysteries. the orginal Sherlock was a lot more brutal and bad ass.:cool:

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just saw it. This movie has the elements of a suspenseful thriller, but none of the thrills. When I compare this to the original Sherlock Holmes movies, or even the Holmes/Moriarty episodes of Star Trek Next Generation it has none of the charm or the mystery. Whatever mystery there is, is overpowered by the coldness of the film. The villain does some interesting things as if he is in league with the devil, but in the end Holmes rapid revelation of how everything was accomplished was not presented in a satisfying way.

The actors Downy, Law, and Adams (who I've liked in previous movies) seem to do an adequate job with what they are given but none of them are likable, especially Holmes. I have read many of the original Holmes novels and may be a victim of my preconceived notions of just who Holmes is. I can only guess, but it seems like the Director's vision for this story (cold and gritty) and Sherlock Holmes's personality in combination with *Downy's portrayal just turned me off, all most a reminder of the actor's troubled past. First and foremost, I want to like Sherlock Holmes.

* I loved him in Iron Man...

7. No1451 macrumors 6502

Batman hitting people with mutton chops.

'nuff said

8. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Yawn. Better than sleeping pills because it's guaranteed non-addictive - - no one would ever watch this Sherlock Holmes movie twice.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I enjoyed it, not amazing but to me a thoroughly enjoyable film.

10. djellison macrumors 68020

I would. I loved it.

11. ethical macrumors 68000

If this were Facebook I'd 'like' that post.

I quite enjoyed it. My only previous experience of Sherlock Holmes was watching The Hound of the Baskervilles in english class because our teacher was too lazy to go though the book!

I quite enjoyed the comical nature of the stumbling messy fool, disguising the real genius. Although, I agree with a previous comment that the unraveling of the villains methods was too rushed and unexplained.

Overall I enjoyed it, and I'll probably buy the DVD.

12. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I thought the movie was kinda boring. Also, it may have been the theatre, but I had a really hard time understanding a lot of what Sherlock said.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I enjoyed this film. It does get a little far fetched or seem to at some points, and they all speak in riddles making it hard to understand.

But as far as a good enjoyable movie the blah out to, it's rather good. Probably the only Guy Richie film that's going to be a 12A certificate for a long time. :rolleyes:

14. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I thought it showed what the real Holmes was like.... (I know he wasn't a real person! :D ) I never believed the whole gentleman version, but this dirty and rough version is very believable in my opinion! Good movie!

15. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ha im glad to see this thread came back. i totally forgot i started it.

anyway, i enjoyed the movie. could it have been a lot better? Absolutely!! but it was entertaining none the less. RDJ made the movie. Watson was great. McAdams was soso. and of course with Moriarty at the end can anyone say sequel? again could have been a lot better but they made the movie they set out to make. Im a fan of Guy Ritchie with Snatch being one of my favorite movies. THink of it as a blessing that Michael Bay didnt get his hands one it!!

16. sauced macrumors regular

I ended up seeing it twice, only because the first time I fell asleep (combination of a lack of sleep the night before + sitting in the 2nd row + wearing a warm Canada Goose jacket), then the second time was when movies were half price anyways. I found the movie to be kinda meh.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Too far-fetched to be believable. I've seen better mystery solving on Scooby-Doo.

18. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I liked the movie overall. Truly enjoyed the vision of Victorian London. And regardless of whether this Holmes matches Doyle's Holmes, it was a fun time at the theater.

However ... it took about a half hour to understand some of the dialog. Either the sound editing lapsed or it took that long to get into the rhythm of the accent (American ears, sorry).

And there's a typo in the newspaper headline that reveals the name of the movie:

SHERLOCK HOLMES
    AIDES POLICE

Really wish that if they can spend all that money to recreate a city from more than a century ago, they'd spend the money to get a decent proofreader.

mt

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

20. djellison macrumors 68020

What, like Star Wars, Avatar, Cloverfield, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and just about every other movie in the top 10 of the last decade? Nahh - all those films had both feet firmly in the realm of reality didn't they.

21. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

aide = noun. It means an assistant, as in aide de camp.

aid = verb. It means to assist.

Properly, the headline should be "SHERLOCK HOLMES AIDS POLICE"

mt

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I thought it was OK, but not great
    I wanted to like it, and I tried really hard
    But in the end, it was just OK

It had it's moments, but there just weren't enough of them

They seemed to rush to tie everything up at the end and explain it all

The effects were good, but it seems to me that movies these days are more about effects than they are good plot, character development and dialogue. If you watch the older movies, before the advent of all the chases, crashes, explosions and stuff, you will see actors that had to really act, and who had to engage in meaningful dialogue.

I was hoping this movie would be a film for the mind
    Instead, it was just another movie

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think the best effects are the ones that don't stand out as blatant effects. The SH movie did not have that many effects, but then it did not have the other elements needed to make it memorable.

24. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I saw it, thought it was pretty good! I just thought in some bits it dragged, it was a pretty long movie. But all in all, good!

25. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i agree, some scenes dragged on but overall enjoyably entertaining movie.