Shipped to Wrong address, Iphone stolen!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dreamcast, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dreamcast macrumors newbie

Hi, i recently sold my aluminum 16gb iphone on ebay for $475. The problem is i sent it to the wrong address, 1900 instead of 1990. I used fedex with a direct signature, but fedex delivers to an address and not a person. So anybody can sign at that address.
    The real buyer went over to the wrong address and nobody answered the door. He went again and heard voices, but still nobody answered the door. The person at that address apparently wants to keep my Iphone because he is not answering the door. Now i even had the fedex driver go back to the wrong address, but still nobody answered.
    My next step is to try to get a community officer to go to his place, but i don't know if this will work. Does anybody have advice on what I should do? I live in los angeles and the delivery is in New York City, Harlem. Can i sue the person since i have his electronic signature on file at fedex?

2. Inukami macrumors 6502

Sure you can

All you have to do is get an officer and the signed signature from Fedex, that was it's not possible for the person to say "I don't have it, he is a liar." because obviously he signed it.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

That's odd. When I worked for FedEx (2005-2007) any direct signature package required the signature of the recipient listed on the shipping label. I'd double check and make sure FedEx isn't liable.

4. divinemercy macrumors regular

Let's hope that the signature is legible and that he signed his or her real name ^^

Also, i would suggest that the buyer call the local police. Besides saving long distance phone bills for you, the police are more likely to do something about it if someone in their jurisdiction is calling.

Yours,

Ryan

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ouch, I hope this gets resolved quick. What a scumbag, at the wrong house.:mad:

6. JWages macrumors regular

Its also supposed to be someone 21 years old or older, but I have signed countless times.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Well if it's "supposed" to be someone 21 or older and it's "supposed" to be the name on the package that signs then FedEx owes you or the buyer whatever was paid for that phone. I don't suppose either of you opted for additional insurance?

8. jaydoc05 macrumors newbie

can AT&T track your old phone when it is activated?

9. dreamcast thread starter macrumors newbie

A direct signature can be (anyone) at that address. I even paid extra to have this thinking it was extra secure. Also, Fed ex said they are not liable because they delivered to the address that i wrote down.

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Tough case, I am curious to how this ends. Keep us posted.

11. dreamcast thread starter macrumors newbie

Is That University of Central Florida?

I was a little worried when i looked on the fedex delivery sheet and i didn't see an option (Signature required by Recipient Only)
    The only three choices on the fed ex invoice were 1. (Direct Signature, meaning someone at recipients address can sign) 2.(Indirect signature, meaning if no one is available at recipients address, a neighbor may sign) and 3. (No signature Required, will leave at doorstep)

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, FEDEX is out of the mix. Have the person that it should have been sent to file a police report and get him the SN for the police. :(

13. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

OMG. I'd be so pissed at those F'ers in that house. They don't answer the door? The nerve of these people. I'm getting so wound up just thinking about it. They are "hiding out"!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not theirs!!!!! I hope they go to h***. Some people really suck. If it were my package, i'd see if i could get the police involved too. See what sort of paperwork you would need.

14. dreamcast thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill keep everyone posted

Ill let everyone know what happens, although I feel like ive exhausted everything i can think of. And since the buyer already paid me with paypal, i have to refund him in a few days if I don't get the Iphone back. I feel bad because i rushed to get it delivered to him before the 530pm fed ex cutoff time, but then rushing caused me this mistake.

15. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I think SFStateStudent is correct. It is a honest mistake and the person who received the item does not have claim to it.

You should refund the money and put the responsibility back on your shoulder and file a police report yourself. It'll be a lot to ask for the buyer to do, and it isn't his mistake.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes it is. I graduated in December of 1993 from the University of Central Florida with a B.S. degree in Science Education.

17. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

i tagging along, Sucks,,,, I really want to know what happens. I hope you can get it back.

18. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Good luck getting the NYPD to do anything. You'll probably have to bribe them first.

19. huskerwr38 macrumors member

i had my blackberry shipped to the wrong address. I live on Columbia Way, and it was shipped to Columbia BLVD. So I went over to their house thinking oh, I bet they are wondering who this package is for, and then I would pick it up. So I get to their house and this little kid answers the door and I said my package was delivered here do you have it? He said oh are you Brandon with the blackberry? I was like yea, thinking how did he know it was a blackberry? He goes well um the thing about that is my dad sold it. I could not believe it. I called the dad he's like, i didn't sell your damn phone, it wasn't even delivered here. I said then how did your son know it was a blackberry? He's like i'm not going to waste my time with this.
    So I had a police officer go over there, and I guess the dad got so mad and was getting in the officers face he had to tase him in front of his wife and kid.
    But in the end, it was my word against theirs and they just sent me a new phone.

20. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Love thy neighbors! Don't you just love human nature?

21. Twenty5 macrumors regular

......wow..

....Dont you guys love this country? <3 :)

22. phaggard macrumors regular

I have a letter on file with FedEx to leave packages at my house if I'm not there. They don't even knock when delivering. Kind of chancy but when I'm epxecting something I usually wait and watch for the package. I hate when they deliver and I'm not home and they take the package with them. Then I have to wait another day or two to get any new toys in my hands. I'm not sure if my letter on file overrides a senders request for a signature.

23. Pandora01 macrumors regular

If it makes you feel any better, a seller in NY state once scammed me into buying an iPod that was never delivered. I wrote to the nearest police detatchment to his home to file a complaint, and I sent a copy of the letter to the scammer. A detective called me a week later and asked me some questions. Then the scammer called me and arranged to wire my money back. Not sure whether the detective had called him, too, before he called me, but that letter sure lit a fire under him! :)

Start making calls and writing letters and don't stop until a cop is pounding on their door demanding the phone back.

24. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I had a package from Nike delivered to the wrong apartment. A female named jessica signed for it according to the online ups tracking. I don't know why she did it had my name and apartment number on it. Ups knew it was their fault so the driver kept on going to the apartment till someone answered. I got my package back unopened 3 days later. Why she signed for something that was not hers Beats me. I felt she wanted to keep it. My advice is to get the police involved, don't let them of easy. Good luck.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Um, you do know Command-C, Command-V, and Command-P?

How about double checking? Heck, I double checked when shipping something worth $10.

Harlem is the ghetto. It's likely the phone has already been sold, similar to the case of the BLVD.

Police might resolve it but they have better things to do, otherwise file small claims. But I doubt the person signed it with their real name.