Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamGT3

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
Normally not an issue with HD streaming but if using hone made high def files with stupidly high bit rates iMac may suffer as cannot support Jumbo frames only 1500 and not 9000 (which Macbook Pro can). Just surprised that iMac cannot do this?

Also, despite this hardware limitation the hard drive in my replacement was shot..not a common fault just unlucky! I just want one that works but given the above anyone using one in a network heavy environment might want to reconsider.

AdamGT3

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
So Apple has changed to use adequate packaging for the systems?

Strange comment, all of my "yellow" or otherwise faulty iMac's were shipped via UPS but with no damaging or marking on the packaging.

My Apple Customer rep acknowledged that the yellowing issue was a hardware fault that is now fixed.

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
Apple i5 and i7 27" iMacs do NOT support high speed ethernet transfer

Just received a week 8 iMac 27". Still yellow and (not related) hard drive really slow. Compared against the original which we had kept until receipt of the new one and new one was over 50% slower.

Saying that Apple have been great but still issue. Have sent replacement back and kept original. Have offered £50 discount and have said they are now fixed but also said replacement received should have been fixed?

Have just checked comments from another thread an noted that its true that iMac cannot deal with with Jumbo packets on ethernet....Mac Book pro can as can Mac Pro...no wonder stuttering on streamed video.

Can this be sorted by firmware or is the iMac crippled by hardware?

Uh, stuttering streaming video? I've never had that trouble. I had 2 iMac i7's. One of them had screen issues (not yellow), sent it back and now I have my new replacement. Both have no issues streaming HD video. You might want to check your router.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/1...s-do-not-support-high-speed-ethernet-transfer

Apple i5 and i7 27" iMacs do NOT support high speed ethernet transfer

We took delivery of the brand spankin' new 27" i7 iMac last week and connected it immediately to our Final Share SAN in about 5 minutes for video editing. Quick tests showed the SAN was connected and working fine.

Then today I started really editing on it and I'm dropping frames every 10 to 30 seconds. Now it appears the ethernet controller that is in the new Mac cannot support the speeds necessary to edit video via the SAN. Our 2 year old iMacs can, but the brand spanking new, most powerful iMac cannot.

I'm at a loss as to how Apple can improve every aspect of this machine, including the absolutely stunning 27" LED backlit display, but then cut back on something as simple as an Ethernet Controller that should be designed to work with today's equipment running high speed internet instead of stepping backwards to the speed of older model PowerMac machines.

We're working with a few folks to see if this can be addressed at all with a driver update or if it's just all that the card can do. If this is all the speed we get, this machine is going back and we'll move on with another machine. My original plan was to install up to 4 of these 27" iMacs in our new facility, but that may have to change now if Apple is going to stay with these crippled controllers instead of giving us the speed we're paying for.

I'll update you guys as more information becomes available. To say I'm disappointed right now is an understatement. Wonder what I need to do to get on a beta test team because I seem to the person pushing all the systems further than any of their beta testers are. Everyone always tells me "you're the first person to find this......"

---------------------------------------

UPDATE #1 - 2/25/2010

I've been told the problem is limited to the 27" i5 and i7 Quad Core iMacs. The Core Duo machines appear to support full Jumbo Frames across Ethernet. We're going to do definitive testing on both my i7 and a Core Duo machine this afternoon. Will update with more later.

------------------------------------------

UPDATE #2 - 2/25/2010

We took the iMac to one of the local Apple Stores where the technician at the Genius Bar confirmed that the Broadcom 5764 Ethernet Controller in the i7 iMac 27" does not support speeds over 1500. This same controller is in the i5 iMac 27" machine too. From what he could gather, the Broadcom website is very vague as to whether the controller itself cannot support higher speeds or if it's just a driver issue. I've been told by outside sources that the documentation on the 5764 states it does not support Jumbo Frames so that leads me to believe 1500 is the max.

Now the Intel Core Duo 2 machines, which is pretty much the rest of Apple's lineup, all support Jumbo Frames. This includes the Core Duo 2 iMac 27" machines. I've returned the i7 and have ordered the 3.33Ghz 27" iMac.

I'm dumbfounded as to what happened with the design of the i7 and i5 machines. How was something as simple as an ethernet controller allowed to become a bottleneck on the flagship machine of a company? I don't know, but be aware that if you plan to use this in a professional environment and will require true high speed ethernet data transfer, as of right now, the i5 and i7 iMacs will not support that.

Again, to say I'm disappointed with Apple right now is an understatement.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, I may actually go the Apple Store route, or on-line instead... check it out:

http://store.apple.com/us/instant_credit?mco=MTcwOTU5Mjg

and did you see the interest rate. crazy high.

if I was going to go with one of those cards I'd do the one with the itunes points. I do pretty much everything digital anyway. I'd pay it off right away, then basically charge everything on it so I can get my stuff for free. I'd put my gas and electric on it even if I can.

voyager13mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Just Ordered

Just order the 27inch i7 and the ship time says between 3-5 and 3-11 (3 to 9 days). We shall see...

Nordwolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Still won't buy an iMac

Well, even if they are fixed, I still will personally never buy an iMac until Apple offers a zero dead / stuck pixel guarantee on them. I'm simply not willing to pay close to $2,000 for a computer and then risk getting a display with dead pixels and having Apple tell me "A certain number of dead pixels is acceptable and does not warrant a repair or replacement."...Sorry Apple, maybe you could sucker me into accepting that answer on a $100 LCD display. But not on a $2,000 all in one system. (I got burned on a $2,500 MacBook Pro once that had 2 dead pixels, one of which was right in the middle of the screen. And Apple refused to repair or replace it because it was "within tolerance". Again, not an acceptable answer for a $2,500 computer.)

I realize there are very few vendors that offer a zero dead pixel guarantee. But given that Apple is charging me premium prices, I expect i should be getting a premium product with a premium service guarantee.

So until they offer a zero dead pixel guarantee. I will never buy an iMac, or another Apple laptop for that matter.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I bought One

I bought an i7 27" yesterday -- Took it up to 2TB -- it was hard to pay the Apple Tax for the larger drive but in an all in one this was a good decision. I will let you all know how it looks, feels and performs when it arrives.

Plan to buy crucial ram to take it to 8gig ram.

This box will be for use in a web content / code production studio.

Let's see how it compares. I am optimistic.

Just wish we had esata and a matte screen, but the screen is mitigated by using the imac as the second monitor to the 30" HP LP3065. Not a bad setup.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Well, even if they are fixed, I still will personally never buy an iMac until Apple offers a zero dead / stuck pixel guarantee on them. I'm simply not willing to pay close to $2,000 for a computer and then risk getting a display with dead pixels and having Apple tell me "A certain number of dead pixels is acceptable and does not warrant a repair or replacement."...Sorry Apple, maybe you could sucker me into accepting that answer on a $100 LCD display. But not on a $2,000 all in one system. (I got burned on a $2,500 MacBook Pro once that had 2 dead pixels, one of which was right in the middle of the screen. And Apple refused to repair or replace it because it was "within tolerance". Again, not an acceptable answer for a $2,500 computer.)

I realize there are very few vendors that offer a zero dead pixel guarantee. But given that Apple is charging me premium prices, I expect i should be getting a premium product with a premium service guarantee.

So until they offer a zero dead pixel guarantee. I will never buy an iMac, or another Apple laptop for that matter.

Given the current state of technology some of the above sounds a bit crazy to me.

I'm just sayin'

Correct me if I am wrong. Not trying to pick a fight.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

Dream on....

$2500 for that size screen and computer isn't so high to guarantee you a grade 1 dead pixel free screen.

fudgebrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Indy
and did you see the interest rate. crazy high.

if I was going to go with one of those cards I'd do the one with the itunes points. I do pretty much everything digital anyway. I'd pay it off right away, then basically charge everything on it so I can get my stuff for free. I'd put my gas and electric on it even if I can.

The point is it is no interested for 12 months... so as long as you pay it off in 12 months you're fine ... no interest ...

Nordwolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Dell guarantees it on a few of their higher end models

That's true. And the Dell displays that come with a zero dead pixel guarantee still manage to cost less than Apple's displays. So Apple really needs to get with the program here.

Nordwolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Dream on....

$2500 for that size screen and computer isn't so high to guarantee you a grade 1 dead pixel free screen.

See, the problem is I don't believe the manufacturers when they claim that the price of LCDs would triple if they had to throw out every panel that had dead pixels. That would imply a defective panel rate of 2 out of 3 if the increased cost really were that high. And if 2 out of 3 LCD panels have dead pixels (which they do not), then this is an unacceptable failure rate to begin with.

But again, the failure rate is not nearly that high. So the manufacturer's claims that costs would triple are bogus. And the consumer should not accept it.

Also, keep in mind that one of Apple's target demographics for high end Macs is graphics professionals. For up close detailed graphics work, even one dead pixel is unacceptable.

Nordwolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Given the current state of technology some of the above sounds a bit crazy to me.

Well, the standard line from LCD panel makers is that with say, a 2560x1440 panel, you have over 7 million transistors, and is is cost prohibitive to guarantee that out of 7 million transistors, the DOA rate will be 0. The situation is similar to processors. With millions of transistors on any given CPU, there's good chance that not all of them work. Of course, with a processor, you never notice that a few of the transistors are dead cause you can't see it. With an LCD display, you do notice.

Manufacturers claim that the cost of LCD panels would triple if they had to through out every one that had a dead pixel or two. However, I don't buy that claim. That would imply the overwhelming majority of panels would have to be thrown out, and in reality, that isn't what we see. Most panels do not have dead pixels. And it is ridiculous of manufacturers to expect that consumers to accept the few that do as "normal and within tolerance". When it comes to a high end brand like Apple, that's akin to BMW saying it's normal and within tolerance for your brand new car to have some scratches in the paint job when it comes from the factory, and refusing to repair or fix it. Obviously, BMW buyers would never accept this answer. I'm not sure why high end computer makers accept customers to accept it.

Of course, for some tasks, a dead pixel here or there is not an issue. No one cares if an ATM display panel has a dead pixel for example. On a 60 inch plasma television, probably no one cares either. You simply aren't going to see a dead pixel on a television because the image is usually moving and is usually not a solid color. But for computer displays, it is noticeable, and it is annoying. And customers should not accept dead pixels as "normal and within tolerance" on expensive laptops and iMacs.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
they still sell the dead pixel screens

years ago i bought one of the first 16ms 17" LCD monitors. Cost me $700 when the normal retail was $800. i bought it from a place that said it may have up to 5 dead pixels. most of the $800 retailers had a 0 dead pixel policy. and mine has a big white spot in the middle of the monitor. still have it after all these years

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Well, the standard line from LCD panel makers is that with say, a 2560x1440 panel, you have over 7 million transistors, and is is cost prohibitive to guarantee that out of 7 million transistors, the DOA rate will be 0. The situation is similar to processors. With millions of transistors on any given CPU, there's good chance that not all of them work. Of course, with a processor, you never notice that a few of the transistors are dead cause you can't see it. With an LCD display, you do notice.

Manufacturers claim that the cost of LCD panels would triple if they had to through out every one that had a dead pixel or two. However, I don't buy that claim. That would imply the overwhelming majority of panels would have to be thrown out, and in reality, that isn't what we see. Most panels do not have dead pixels. And it is ridiculous of manufacturers to expect that consumers to accept the few that do as "normal and within tolerance". When it comes to a high end brand like Apple, that's akin to BMW saying it's normal and within tolerance for your brand new car to have some scratches in the paint job when it comes from the factory, and refusing to repair or fix it. Obviously, BMW buyers would never accept this answer. I'm not sure why high end computer makers accept customers to accept it.

Of course, for some tasks, a dead pixel here or there is not an issue. No one cares if an ATM display panel has a dead pixel for example. On a 60 inch plasma television, probably no one cares either. You simply aren't going to see a dead pixel on a television because the image is usually moving and is usually not a solid color. But for computer displays, it is noticeable, and it is annoying. And customers should not accept dead pixels as "normal and within tolerance" on expensive laptops and iMacs.

CPU's are a bit different. all intel CPU's are XEON's when they are produced. then they are tested, components disabled and rebranded. the design is modular so that if a part is bad Intel can just resell it under a lower cost brand by disabling the circuitry that is bad

Nordwolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
CPU's are a bit different. all intel CPU's are XEON's when they are produced. then they are tested, components disabled and rebranded. the design is modular so that if a part is bad Intel can just resell it under a lower cost brand by disabling the circuitry that is bad

That isn't true anymore. It was true in the early Celeron days. The early Celerons were Pentiums that had defective L2 cache. So Intel disabled the L2 cache and then sold the chips as lower priced Celerons. But it isn't true anymore.

Nordwolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Of course, when it comes to dead pixels, you could probably successfully sue Apple in small claims court and win. Apple's official policy on dead pixels is not to tell the customer what the policy is. In many U.S. states, this violates "full disclosure" laws, which require that companies disclose the full terms and conditions of the warranty on products they sell.

Of course, it's probably cheaper for Apple to keep it this way and just cave in and replace the panels of customers who raise a huge stink about it and threaten legal action then it is for them to disclose the dead pixel policy. After all, if customers knew in advance that Apple will not warranty your new $2,000 computer against dead pixels, that would probably kill the sale for a lot of customers.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
That isn't true anymore. It was true in the early Celeron days. The early Celerons were Pentiums that had defective L2 cache. So Intel disabled the L2 cache and then sold the chips as lower priced Celerons. But it isn't true anymore.

may not be true for Atom's but it's true for other CPU's that have less cache than xeon's. C2D Intel had a bunch of models with disabled VT which was done just to charge more money

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.