Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

110740-keyboard_dock.png

9 to 5 Mac noticed yesterday that shipping windows for several of Apple's forthcoming iPad accessories have begun to slip well past the device's own April 3rd launch date.
First we noticed the iPad case making a slight shift from April 3rd to Mid-April. Today we notice Apple has delayed the iPad Keyboard Dock. The product was originally set to ship to customers in late-April but now the Apple store has placed the shipping time for sometime in May.
The reason for the delays are currently unknown, although it is reasonable to speculate that high demand may simply be outstripping Apple's supply in the initial rush.

A number of observers have also noted that the iPad Camera Connection Kit, which will offer users the option of USB or SD Card reader connectivity for transferring digital photos and video to their iPads, is yet to be made available for pre-order.

110740-ipad_camera_connection_kit.png

The reason for the lack of pre-order availability on the iPad Camera Connection Kit is similarly unknown, and many users are currently left waiting for news on how soon after the iPad launch they'll be able to easily directly move their photos and videos to their iPads.

Article Link: Shipping Windows on iPad Accessories Slipping as Pre-Orders Mount

bertyao

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
my usb plug order may 28

I also pre ordered a USB to outlet accessory and it shows May 28 for the shipping time.

Comment

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
69 for a keyboard?!? Forget that!

It's not much different to get Apple's bluetooth keyboard that also works with the iPad... but this one also charges at the same time and the keyboard is customized for the iPad (it has iPad specific keys). Just pointing out that as far as Apple keyboards go, it isn't too bad.

But yes, if you go for a 3rd party one then you'll save a hell of a lot of money. I've got no idea if 3rd party bluetooth keyboards will work with the iPad.

Comment

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY

It's disappointing the camera connection kit's missing in action. Maybe they're going to reveal that the iPod adapter will work with the iPad? (but someone bring me up to speed: did the iPod device include an SD reader or USB or, like the proposed iPad kit, both?)

As for the keyboard dock, not of consequence to me: does anyone think that bulky object's gonna be welcome in your backpack? Maybe it's meant for home use only and apple's realized the BT keyboard and case-as-prop will be the logical solution on the road, at least until third party people bring out a better solution. Maybe a folding dock?

Comment

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Will we be able to use the SD card reader to back up photos to our iPhone as well? Physically the connection looks like it will work fine.

This would be a boon for photographers who take the iPhone out on a shoot.

:)

Comment

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
Don't really care about accessories shipping late or their cost (the keyboard seems a bit steep). They'll be third party versions on day one.

I just want to know how much the 64gb wifi version is going to be in the UK.

Comment

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
So a Bluetooth keyboard will not work? Was that always the case?

I'm also a little suprised apple would require/allow a dongle to plug in the bottom for camera connectivity and SD Card. I was hoping for a little less "bulky" solution.

Comment

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009

I'm also a little suprised apple would require/allow a dongle to plug in the bottom for camera connectivity and SD Card. I was hoping for a little less "bulky" solution.

The bluetooth keyboard is expected to work fine with it. So if you have one from an iMac or anything else (even other manufacturers) it's supposed to be OK with it.

Comment

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
USB Camera Connector

Can the old version of the USB Camera Connector be used? It looks exactly the same??

Comment

ckpt-martin

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
I can't confirm

At least the shipping date of my pre-ordered Keyboard hasn't slipped. It still shows shipping on April 15 and arrival by April 19. My Account showed those figures from the time I pre-ordered.
Maybe I was lucky enough to have ordered early or maybe it's because I chose the 2-3 day shipping option that kept my shipping date from slipping.

Comment

jsman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Hi, my RSS reader showed:
Shipping Windows® on iPad

The capitalized W is very scary.

Comment

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Initial Shock

I nearly fell off my chair until I put my glasses on a reread the headline... At first I saw "Shipping Windows on iPad" my first thought was Parallels had done something beyond the imaginable ...! :eek:

Comment

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

What makes you think a Bluetooth keyboard won't work? It will. It's been assumed that third party ones will also work, but it remains to be seen, and of course they might not have all the iPad specific keys, etc. I'm hoping for maybe a foldable one or something extra portable.

Remember, the bottom of the iPad is also the top :) At least for camera connectivity, you need a USB cable anyway so i guess the dongle could stay attached to that. Doesn't seem like a big deal as long as both items in the Kit transfer at a reasonable speed...

Comment

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
My case, dock, and dock to VGA adapter still say they're shipping by april 3rd... I preordered relatively early in the process though.

Today I had to call Apple to change the CC info on my iPad order. The customer service rep said
"Ok, your iTouch is set to arrive on April 3rd"

Me: "You mean my iPad?!"

"Oh yes! It's just a big iPod Touch!"

(ok, kidding about that last line but she did scare me for a minute)

Comment

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
I'm also hoping for iPhone compatibility (mainly the keyboard option). If not now, it would be great to see a little carryover of these new options in the next version of the iPhone (I am also hoping they add that rotation lock button too). Some would argue product overlap, but based on the price of the iPad vs. an unlocked iPhone, it's more like a preference in screen size as opposed to a completely different product.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.