Short men 'are the most jealous'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Mar 13, 2008.

?

Does your height make you an angry little man/woman?

1. Hell yes, I'm short and mad about it :mad:

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Na, I'm short but don't care (I have a big weiner/big jugs to make up for it) :D

39 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. I'm tall and there for, apparently, perfectly happy.

101 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Spanish and Dutch research at it's finest :D

6'2" baby!

2. 119576 Guest

3. Queso macrumors G4

Anything other than within 3" of the average for where you live would class as short IMO. I think the average for the UK is supposed to be 5'10", so I have nothing to worry about with my 6'0" athletic and aesthetically pleasing frame :)

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'm normal height, so apparently I'm perfectly happy :)

My brother is shorter though, and he is a miserable git...

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ross Perot seems like an annoying little billionaire.

Laughing all the way to the bank and picking the pockets of all the tall guys.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

He should get together with Bernie Ecclestone, miserable little bugger, minted beyond belief though. He can just stand on his wallet, as they say.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm average height but I do get a touch jealous sometimes. I wonder if it gets worse when I wear flat soled shoes...

Still, I make up for not being tall in other areas :D

8. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I'm 5'7" and I feel I'm pretty much average for the place I live in (India). Since the average for the UK is 5'10" (where do you people get these statistics, btw) I should be ok over there too.

PS: I'm a guy...

9. Queso macrumors G4

There are regular studies carried out by governments as knowing not only the average but also the distribution in a nation's height is really important when desiging and planning developments of infrastructure from an ergonomics perspective. Although I hate to reference Wikipedia, they do have a nice table showing the current variance between nationalities here, which you'll be glad to see actually puts you as rather tall by Indian standards :)

10. jamestonge macrumors newbie

Well... I'm 6 foot 5, So what does that make me... the happiest guy in the world!! :)

11. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Maybe they are just jealous because they keep getting overlooked?

12. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I'm an average 5'10" and I can certainly get jealous of taller, wealthier men. Especially if they're cocky AND successful with the ladies :rolleyes:

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Shortish here, of a level which pretty much makes me a nobody wherever I am - I don't stand out. That suits/ed me fine.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just shy of 6 1 here and am quite a jolly chap.

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

6'2" truly is the height of champions. :)

16. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Word to that sentiment! :D

Maybe I'm just biased, but anything over 6'2" is just overkill (unless you're a basketball player!).

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I lose. I'm only 5'6" (a good four inches below average for my age/ethnicity). I actually stand as tall or nearly as tall as some of my taller friends, though. Being a choir director, I trained myself to stand as tall as I could while conducting, and it led to standing tall in my real life. I have a friend who walks with such awful posture that he's nearly my height most of the time, but when he stands up he's a good six inches taller than I am. I was visiting the family of a romantic interest of mine once and her sister made us stand back to back in order to ensure that I was indeed taller than her. I was, by perhaps half an inch. :D

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm .3" above the US average for caucasian males so I'm fine :)

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^ Don't worry, it's the girth that counts anyway.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am 6' 4" tall. ( In the top 5% of for Males in the US)

Now something that people always take forgattend is being as tall as me has problems. They do not design things for people of my height. I can no get a car with a sun roof because then my head rubs the roof. I am to big for a lot of sports cars. HELL most cars do not have enough room in the drivers seat for some one of my height.

What about the plight of the tall man. We have a lot of struggles to. The world is more designed for some one over 6 inches shorter than average than 6 inches taller.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm average height. I wish I was still short, though. Growing up I was the shortest boy in my class all the way to the eight grade. I shot up 10 inches between my second and fourth year of High School.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The only thing about my body that actively bugs me (aside from my general fitness, I can actually control that :p) is that I'm just shy of 6'. I just need another half inch or so. :mad:

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Welcome to the club. I have the exact same problem.

Or I should say, I had the exact same problem. I was 5' 11.5" when I was a young man, but I'm 51 now, and frankly, I'm afraid to get my height measured for fear of what I might find.

But I can so understand why short guys would be more jealous. It's bad enough you'd have to listen to the occasional ribbing, even in good sport and from friends, and pretend that it's not annoying. But if I were a half-foot shorter, I'd feel even more insecure than I do now. :p

Of course, some short people find ways to make up for it -- Napoleon, Hitler....

(Hey, I finally found a legitimate way to mention Hitler in a thread! :D )

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I read somewhere a while back that Napoleon wasn't actually that short. His rumoured lack of height stemmed from the fact that, at the time, French inches were a bit bigger than British ones (the standard 'Imperial' inch all us non-metric types use today). It naturally didn't take long for us British to start lampooning him for what we perceived to be his lack of inches, and so this reputation stuck. Taking the two systems into account and converting the measurements accordingly, Napoleon was apparently a little over the average height for a Frenchman of the period.

That Hitler was a proper shortarse, though. :p