Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wait it out dude...

Now whats with all this out of contract flip your phone talk? I'm very confused and want to understand since I've been out of contract now since Feb.

After reading cyks post it started off making sense but then I was thinking wait, regardless of what I do with my 'now out of contract phone' my bill isn't going to miraculously lower its self (will it?) At&t will still charge me the exact same amount unless I get a dumb phone (without a data plan) right? So isn't it pointless to go through all that hassle of selling and buying and reselling again, since your monthly bill will not change? So what's the reasoning behind the idea of paying extra for your out of contract phone?

@gobes

Switch your tariff to sim only? How do you do that, and what does that actually do?

LatinaC09

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
OP I'm in the same boat your in! I have a year old iPhone 4 and my contract is up...but I'm waiting it out right now as my 4 is in great condition. I'm very sure that my wait will be worthwhile once the 6th gen iPhone comes out :)

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Def wait it out. I have had the 4 and now the 4s and theres really no differences other than siri noticable for everyday use. Sure its slightly faster but only a marginal amount. I am up for an upgrade this year. I used a friends upgrade on the 4s and gave him my 4. Only reason I don't still have the 4.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I skipped on the 4S cause i didn't have a contract renewal, now that I do should I get the 4s or wait for 5* nothing is wrong with my 4 but a slight few scratches on the screen.

I have the iPhone4 and other than growing more frustrated with the keyboard function (but that's just me) I found NO compelling reason to upgrade to the 4S. I am waiting between Sammys Galaxy X3 and iPhone next gen.

I really don't believe that the iP4S does anything THAT MUCH better than an iP4 that you would need to upgrade.

Again, just my opinion.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I've found 4s to be snappier because of upgraded processor and the camera is much improved over 4. Improved antenna too. So it was much improved but it was all under the hood...I don't spend a lot of time with Siri...

That being said, I'd wait for new design simply to get LTE. LTE is best feature on new iPad. It is smoking' fast.:cool:

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Definitely wait. My iPhone 4 is still perfect and I could actually see it lasting another year or two. With that said, I'll be picking up the next iPhone.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
I'm in the exact same boat as you are, and will wait patiently for the 5. I was going to upgrade to a 4S because the home button on my 4 was very sticky. Went to the Apple Store and they said that they couldn't do anything for my phone, so the assistive touch was turned on and I was basically using it like that for months. I then tried a trick with rubbing alcohol, and my the home button works like brand new and has been for several months now. So I can wait for the 5. :D

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Always upgrade whenever possible.

Since your bill doesn't go down when your contract is up, by not taking the upgrade ASAP, you're giving the phone company more of your money for no reason.

Sell your 4, buy the 4S, just before the 5 is officially announced, sell it. Use the leftover money from your 4 and all the money from the 4S to buy a new 5 off contract.

Alternative idea: switch to sim-only with data and whatever you need, buy phones off-contract for ever. No locks, lower monthly bill. Just requires a higher one-time payment (which evens out with the lower bill-- you pay for the phone anyway).

Criysto

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
You should wait. The 4s is good, but the 5 or the "New" iPhone will probably be worth the wait. :apple:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I could see getting a different phone, but from a 4 to a 4S? That's just crazy talk.

ali9686

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I have had my iPhone 4 since the day before apple launched it (ordered it through AT&T during the pre-order time period).

AT&T gave me an early upgrade option before the launch of iPhone 4s, but I passed on it. To me, the same design and the updates really didn't seem to warrant an upgrade.

I am content with my current iPhone 4.

Still have my upgrade option at subsidized price. Will wait for the next generation iPhone to come out.

Thats what I would do.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I skipped on the 4S cause i didn't have a contract renewal, now that I do should I get the 4s or wait for 5* nothing is wrong with my 4 but a slight few scratches on the screen.

i've just been through this very dilemma, as I was getting a little bored of my i4, having had it since launch day in June 2010.

I'm in the UK and have a SIM Only deal from 3 called the One Plan. It's a superb tariff that gives me great coverage, TRULY UNLIMITED data, 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and 500 3 to 3 minutes and I have no plan to switch from it.

So I thought about moving to a contract and 3 offered me a FREE 4S if I moved on to a 3 year One Plan contract for £36 per month (as opposed to the £25 I'm paying currently).

As i said, I've no plans to move from 3 and the One Plan so it made sense, as I will now sell my i4 and put the cash to one side (circa £250?), then sell the 4S when the new iPhone comes out (circa £300?).

What I'll do at that point is use that cash to buy an iPhone 5 when they come out direct from Apple (so it's unlocked) and just stick my 3 SIM in it.

I know I'll be paying an extra £11 for the next 2 years, but it means I won't have to lay out £500 for a new iphone later this year.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Wait it out, you already pretty much have the 4S.

The only difference you would notice between the 4 and the 4S is that you can talk to the 4S. So if you want to look like a **** talking to your phone get the 4S, it wouldn't understand 60% of what you say to it anyway.

Exactly, the 4 & the 4S is practically the exact same phone, besides Siri and the 8MP camera the 4S cannot do anything more than the 4 and it looks almost identical. You couldn't call it an upgrade in my eyes.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
i've just been through this very dilemma, as I was getting a little bored of my i4, having had it since launch day in June 2010.

I'm in the UK and have a SIM Only deal from 3 called the One Plan. It's a superb tariff that gives me great coverage, TRULY UNLIMITED data, 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and 500 3 to 3 minutes and I have no plan to switch from it.

So I thought about moving to a contract and 3 offered me a FREE 4S if I moved on to a 3 year One Plan contract for £36 per month (as opposed to the £25 I'm paying currently).

As i said, I've no plans to move from 3 and the One Plan so it made sense, as I will now sell my i4 and put the cash to one side (circa £250?), then sell the 4S when the new iPhone comes out (circa £300?).

What I'll do at that point is use that cash to buy an iPhone 5 when they come out direct from Apple (so it's unlocked) and just stick my 3 SIM in it.

I know I'll be paying an extra £11 for the next 2 years, but it means I won't have to lay out £500 for a new iphone later this year.

3 year one plan? So you're paying £11 extra for 3 years? Thats nearly £400, which is probably more than you'd get for your used 4S. If you're thinking to go for an unlocked phone, just either save up or do it and move to a much cheaper SIM only deal - do you really need 2000 minutes? Why not switch to a £15 all you can eat data plan from three and save £10 a month? Thats £21 less per month than what you are considering committing to for three year - sell your iphone 4 and the savings would pay for an iphone 5 within a year

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
If you want a downgrade gt the iPhone 4S, if you want a MAJOR upgrade, only option is the Galaxy Nexus.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
The 4S is about identical but noticeably faster with a better cam. I'd wait for the next one for some real changes. Hopefully a bigger screen.

As a former android owner, if you want headaches, force closes, and to feel like you're using a beta OS that may never get an update, go with that. :D

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
3 year one plan? So you're paying £11 extra for 3 years? Thats nearly £400, which is probably more than you'd get for your used 4S.

Sorry, it's a 2 year contract, not 3, so it's £264. :eek:

If you're thinking to go for an unlocked phone, just either save up or do it and move to a much cheaper SIM only deal - do you really need 2000 minutes?

I use the phone for business too, so yes, the minutes are important.

Why not switch to a £15 all you can eat data plan from three and save £10 a month? Thats £21 less per month than what you are considering committing to for three year - sell your iphone 4 and the savings would pay for an iphone 5 within a year

That only comes with 300 minutes, which isn't enough, plus that plan doesn't include tethering so it's no good for me (I regularly tether).

I know you can tether on that plan and plenty of people do it and 3 don't bat an eyelid, but I don't want to run the risk of suddenly not being able to tether and having to go through the pain of dealing with 3 to sort it out.

mushtama

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012

Wow that's a fantastic contract! How much do you pay monthly? I'm on 3 as well but I get 500 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data and 5000 3-3 minutes. I'm paying £35 a month (24 month contract) but had to pay £240 upfront (mind that I have a 32GB iPhone 4). I'm hoping to leave 3 when my contract finishes as their coverage in my area is absolutely appalling, the only networks with decent coverage in my area are Vodafone and O2 so I'm moving to either one of them next. Either way, I'm going to go sim-only as the iPhone 4 is more than enough for my needs (only texting, facebooking, web browsing and listening to music on it these days).

To the OP: I'd wait it out till the new iPhone comes out, you might regret upgrading right now. I'm sure the iPhone 4 will satisfy you till then ;)

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
Like many I'm waiting.
No point in getting a 4S when Apple is going to be shaking things up for the "5" or whatever they call it.
My only concern is that it suffers from design shortcomings like the antenna & the home button in the 4 that was corrected in the 4S.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Wow that's a fantastic contract! How much do you pay monthly? I'm on 3 as well but I get 500 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data and 5000 3-3 minutes. I'm paying £35 a month (24 month contract) but had to pay £240 upfront (mind that I have a 32GB iPhone 4). I'm hoping to leave 3 when my contract finishes as their coverage in my area is absolutely appalling, the only networks with decent coverage in my area are Vodafone and O2 so I'm moving to either one of them next. Either way, I'm going to go sim-only as the iPhone 4 is more than enough for my needs (only texting, facebooking, web browsing and listening to music on it these days).

To the OP: I'd wait it out till the new iPhone comes out, you might regret upgrading right now. I'm sure the iPhone 4 will satisfy you till then ;)

It's 3's "One Plan".

I'm currently on a One Plan SIM Only, best value deal out there IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.