Should Apple create more than one model of iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Dec 3, 2010.

1. thermal macrumors regular

When comparing iPhone to Android, one of the comments arising over and over again is that Android is succeeding due to large varieties of handsets.

Do you think it would be wise for Apple to consider more than one model of iPhone? Or do you think they should stick with their current philosophy: one handset introduction per year?

2. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

i think they should stick to one model of the iphone. if they start making variants i think that they will lose focus in their phone department. making one model and making it great is much better than having variants of a phone based off one flagship phone. but i could be wrong

3. TheyCallMeSaint, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I don't think they need to make more than one model. I mean, how many people are really holding off buying the iPhone because of the lack of a keyboard or a 4" screen? Enough to justify the fragmentation and R&D? Doubt it.

I do believe however they should get one more carriers, as there are many people (millions?) holding off the iPhone because it's on AT&T.

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yes because having three different iPods at once means they suck :rolleyes:

When they start geting their behinds kicked in the next year, something will give.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

6. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

They should make a entry level, mid level, and then a super expensive one so I can see people put it in their signatures.

Then we can have the same types of posts between the iPad, iPod, and iPhone threads.

Should I get this, should I get that, should I, would you, can I, can you???

7. CZK macrumors 6502a

Sure they should make 2 models.

A 16 gb and a 32 gb model

oh wait.....

8. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I think it would be a smart idea. Catering to different peoples wants and needs is always a good thing.

9. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I know a few people that don't want to switch from blackberry because there's no physical keyboard.

I personally much prefer the keyboard on the iPhone

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

All Apple needs to do is add more carriers. Other than that, I really don't care.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

They already sell 2 models, there's not really a need for more unless you want 25 different crappy phones like every other cell manufacturer.

12. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Most of the countriesa that sell the iphone have more than 1 carrier. Even canada has 3 carriers, and even sell unlocked iphones. How is it that Apple in the US is ass backwards with the iphone?

13. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Its called a contract. Apple signed it with ATT guaranteeing exclusive carrier coverage. When that contract is up then we will probably join the rest of the world.

14. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

they have different models, just that iphone 4 runs all backward compatible iphone 2/3/3GS software and can also run iPhone 4 only software.

IF they start messing with different hardware such as keyboards, resolution, aspect ratios its going to kill the backwards compatibility.

Im happy with only have one form factor, I know I can install any software that has ever been made for an iPhone and have it work 100% the way it was suppose to :apple:

It's also a big benefit because all 3rd party vendors know they only have to make their cases/accessories fit the same base model. In return we get TONS AND TONS of 3rd party accessories, cases, screen shields etc

I can't think of a single phone that has as many different choices for cases/screens/shields/cables/adapters that can rival what the iphone has

15. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Uhh hello it's the US

Where we have to pay to park at the hospital
    Every food product has perservitives
    And where we give drug lords cellphones while in prison

You should be getting my point by now

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No.

I like how they have one model (although different sizes)
    When buying an Android, you have to hunt around for what you like best. It's just so much easier if there is only one. Plus, is Apple competing against itself? Nope.

There are so many Androids because there are so many people competing with each other

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I think Apple is doing fine with just one model.

18. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

well technically they do have different models, 2g, 3g, 3gs, 4 but yeah i know what you mean. :D

different hardware means they would have to develop ios to run in different environments. they dont want to hassle with that. why you think they dropped support for older models?

the thing that makes ios function well, enough, is that its married to a specific hardware. not all android versions are created equal. that is the downside to FREEDOM. you can do what you want but sometimes its rough.

oh but no im not against them making a different model.

19. el-John-o macrumors 65816

They'll do it. As soon as they let other PC manufacturers bundle Mac OS X lol. Actually they did that once, and stopped because they felt like they didn't have much control over hardware manufacturers, folks were cutting corners, producing under-powered PC's, etc. I think they would not want that same thing to happen again.

I actually own a Power Computing Power Tower Pro though, ran Mac OS 8 right out of the Box, G3 PPC processor IIRC, I dunno haven't messed with it in a long time. Updated it to Mac OS 9 though :apple:

20. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I get such a laugh at how rigid many Apple enthusiasts are.

If anyone other than the almighty Jobs suggests a new product, these ultra negative followers atrack the person who dares think for themselves.

It's especially hilarious since many of these ideas are not only quite good, but would add additional income to Apples coffers.

This idea of an additional model is not radical or unreasonable. It makes as much sense as Apples existing practice of offering two or more sizes / models of laptops, iPods, etc.

But because it was not mandated by the supreme leader, it's a terrible idea ... :)

Oh, the misery of being an independent thinker.

21. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I would buy up to a 5 inch iPhone. What can I say? I'm a guy, I have big pockets. Don't think we'll see anything other than 1 model for a while though.

22. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

as long as the specs are the same with every generation so that all apps will work the same, then sure. I would love to have an iPhone with an slide-out qwerty keyboard.

23. RickM21 macrumors newbie

granted it's older models, but technically they have an entry level one (THE 3GS) and an upper level one ( iPhone 4) Granted they are older models but they are different in their own respects. In addition they have a nice 100 dollar price difference. I think that qualifies as entry level and advanced....

24. adztaylor, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

adztaylor macrumors 68000

Right, so people aren't allowed to provide an opinion any other than yours? And if they do they aren't an independent thinker? The constant rubbish you spout is starting to get laughable.

25. Mawal macrumors regular

traditional marketing wisdom says exactly that: go and let product variations spread like cancer...in order to suck every potential client dry...pardon my french.

Some companies do resist that temptation: Apple for example and I like that. Apple makes things easy for customers, part of that is limiting choices, beginning from the product range.

another company is Rolex btw, very narrow and stable product range...

....choosing is time- and resource-consuming process with remorse being often the outcome.