Should Apple get rid of the oleophobic coating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Apr 2, 2011.

?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. No

128 vote(s)
    90.8%
  1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It just seems like hassle knowing that this stuff wears out - but it also makes your phone looking super annoying after a while. I'd rather not use a screen protector, but I'd rather not have my phone look like this after a bit of use. I know the coating works pretty well, but I'm not sure if its completely worth it. I've had a screen protector on my 3GS since I got it. I was going to take it off, but it looks like I'll just keep it on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first picture is from Surely's thread and the second is from Engadget's post.

Thoughts?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those are two images where taken when the 3Gs was new. All new products have problems. My launch day 3Gs has never had a screen problem, despite it being heavily used daily. The coating does slowly wear off. Technology hasn't progressed to the point where mankind can coat glass and have it stay coated permanently.

My opinion, take the screen protector off and use your iPhone like it was meant to be used.

3. QuarterSwede, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's definitely some kind of defect. I've used my day 1 iPhone 4 heavily and have no signs of wear.

4. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

So are you saying that this is not an issue anymore? :eek:

Assuming Surely got his 3GS on launch day, it has been a few months. I am not one of those people who are OCD about their iPhones, but over 2 years time, I'd rather not have it looking like that because 1) it would no longer have AppleCare and 2) someone would be less likely to buy it if looked like that. Now I'm not the person who keeps their products mint, in a bullet proof case just so I can sell it, but if its going to stay in my drawer, I'd rather sell it, especially if I wont use it anymore. Most importantly, I think having my screen look like that would annoying me.

But I haven't seen an iPhone that had that problem either.

5. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I've owned every rev. of the iPhone and have never seen this happen on any of them.

6. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

The iPhone user's guide clearly states that over time the oleophobic coating will wear. So I believe it does.

7. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

The 2G and 3G did not have an oleophobic coating. If you haven't noticed any problems yet with your 3GS / 4 yet, then that's good.

I do not deny that. Perhaps you misunderstood the purpose of this thread?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't think anyone is contesting that. I think it's the visibility of said wear that's in question.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

We have 4 3GSs, bought 2 on launch day; the other two when they had the price drop before the iPhone 4. All in use daily. Anyway, that's all just a rough estimate of the phones' usage.

None of these has any hint of wear on the display, and all still have an intact oleophobic coating. Cleaning has been either with microfiber cloth or soft cotton material.

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

11. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have not voted for anything yet. :rolleyes:

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My 3G without the coating was fine. I'd rather not have the coating on my 4.

13. maliu macrumors 6502a

My guess is that phone may have been cleaned with something other than recommended by Apple.......

14. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, it hasn't.

15. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

had my 3GS for almost 2 years and the screen looks great still!

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Nope, no problems with mine. but I dont care if they do

Does screen protectors affect the coating after you take them off?

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

No, Apple should not get rid of the oleophobic coating.

/thread

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definately, being a coating and not impregnated into the glass it will wear. I have ghost armor on iPhone in part because of the issues I had with the coating on my iPhone 3GS

20. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Maybe your skin is leaking caustic chemicals?

I would perhaps get tested by a doctor to see if your fingertips are acidic.

What about wearing white gloves when using it?

21. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

As horrible as that looks.. I'll take the chance. I rather have my phone look like that, then have to use a screen shield.

22. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Probably?

My 3GS's oleophobic coating is wearing off, although nowhere near as bad as the pictures posted in op.

On my 4 the coating doesn't really seem to do anything. I can still get fingerprints on as easy as on my 3G (but yes, I can wipe it off with less fuss).

The coating on my Nexus S, on the other hand, seems to prevent fingerprints, period.

23. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well if its not a problem with the newer iPhones, I guess it doesn't matter to me. I thought this issue was tied to all iPhones at some point in time.

I think the poll should have been : Have you ever had problems with the oleophobic coating? :p

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So you think 100+ million of products sold all have problems? Where are the reports of the coating problem reports? :rolleyes:

No issues with 2007 iPhone, 2008 iPhone 3G, 2009 iPhone 3GS, 2010 iPhone 4. I know people who are using each model. And looks like no one reputable here has problem.

Looks like you have dirty hands. Maybe try to clean your screen?

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Sorry to re ask but no one answered, Say I keep my SP on for a year and take it on. Will the coating still stay on?