Should i be mad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ferri1c, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Ferri1c macrumors member

Hi everyone for christmas this year i bought myself my first ever MacBook Pro. I love it and I'm happy, but I just found out they dropped a new line. The one I have is 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 15''. My buddy just got the new one and keeps talking trash about how his new one is SO much better than mine.

I know technology is always getting better but damn just a couple months after this big purchase. Should I be pissed? Is the new one so much better than mine. By the way I only use my computer for poker, surfing, etc. I don't use sophisticated programs and I'm not involved in crazy media productions and all the other high tech stuff. Either is my friend. Someone please tell me something to say to my buddy to have him stop heckling me saying his is sooooooo much better.

Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you should not be pissed. Grow up and enjoy your machine. Who gives a **** what your friend says? He sounds like a total tool anyway. It sounds as though the machine you have is not even being used to the best of its abilities anyway.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Easy. You had yours for three months before he got his.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Well, his is more powerful than yours. It's a fact, but for the things that you described that you do with your computer I doubt you would even notice. Enjoy your machine, it does the things you need it to do and probably with a little less heat too. Don't worry about it.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

Doesn't sound like much of a buddy, really..

The new one is better, but not in any way that's going to enhance what you're doing.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

^^This.

The specs you have are more powerful than what you need.

It's just a pissing contest.

7. amoda macrumors 6502a

There are several reasons why you should not be pissed:

A) Your machine is more than enough for your needs. Safari, Word, MSN/equivalent, are not very intensive. You would hardly be able to tell a difference "real world", even with a stop watch.

B) Like you said, technology progresses. In 6 months time your buddies laptop will be old school. The new model will run cooler, quieter, and faster. In the meantime he'll get, you know, 6 months of use out of his laptop.

C) Laptops don't lock up and stop working when a new model comes out. Look at my signature for proof.

Now if Apple came into your place and took out a GB of ram...then I'd be pissed.

8. sydenham macrumors regular

Just tell him something like the new ones are suppose to have loads of problems, and they are all getting recalled. But your model is considered the best laptop Apple have ever made...

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No reason to be mad. You got three awesome months of use out of yours. You can make fun of him for being late to the party :p

Honestly specs don't matter for most people. Unless you are a computer scientist or someone doing a ton of transcoding or 3D modeling then you won't notice a speed difference.

You could always do what I did...

I have a friend who does this to me all the time. He thinks because he uses Photoshop that he is a pro user and needs all the power he can get (even though I explain politely that Photoshop doesn't take advantage of all of that and runs well on moderate systems). He always had this air of snobbery about him talking how much of a hardcore user he is because of Photoshop and Lightroom....

...That all changed when I showed him my workflow:

-Maya
    -ZBrush
    -Unity
    -Realflow
    -Houdini
    -Boujou
    -Photoshop
    -Aperture
    -XCode
    -Logic
    -Corel Painter
    -After Effects

(and lots more but those I use the most frequently right now)

He suddenly didn't feel so awesome anymore after I showed him I actually know how to use those programs (for the most part) and can make quite a bit of stuff in them.

Needless to say it finally clicked that its not the hardware thats important, its what you can do with it. Your friend needs to learn the same thing.

EDIT: FYI I'm a hobbyist game developer who dabbles in visual effects hence the mashup of software.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sure. Recalled due to tight headphone ports. :rolleyes:

11. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

just show him how well yours work with the led cinema display and he'll shut up

12. TigerMe macrumors member

Part of life

It's part of life that technology always moves faster than your wallet. The key thing is you made a good decision, have an excellent high quality machine, and you love it.

Focus on YOU and your enjoyment. There is always something newer out there but that doesn't mean it's better for you. What you have is great for YOU and that's all that matters.

Just a lesson of life.

As for your friend, it's all just hot air.

13. tmagman macrumors 6502

its better than buying PCs... the day after you buy, yours is outdated technology....

14. TigerMe macrumors member

Mac No different than PC

Mac is no different than PC in that regard. It's the same as every other technology purchase.

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

You need two things:

Maturity

Better friends

16. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

Hahah thanks for all the feedback! I enjoyed reading the comments. I know it sounds childish that a buddy of mine is bragging and pissing me off, but I was more mad because I thought the new specs made my computer garbage. I don't have a lot of money so it took me a very long time to save up for this so I guess I was just disappointed that a new line came out. Realistically I won't be able to afford a new computer for at least 4 years. But I'm going to tell him tonight if he starts heckling me again, that him or me wouldn't even tell the difference between our computers since we are not computer savvy people doing high tech stuff. Thanks again people!!!!

ps. Whats the average amount of time everyone waits to upgrade and buy a new computer?

17. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Get rid of it. It's expired and totally worthless now.

18. roberthallin macrumors member

Did he build the computer himself? If so i understand if he's proud of it. If not he's just bragging about passively consuming. That would mean he's a tool.

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

yes you should be mad....in fact your macbook is not worth more then a pile of dirt...

just because i feel it's my duty to help other mac users,im willing to let you send me that worthless old mac so you can free up some space....but this is a one time only offer,so don't take to long in packing it up and sending my way....

your welcome :rolleyes:

20. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

A 2010 MacBook Pro of any configuration is among the best computers money can buy at the consumer level.

It's among the best and most beautiful laptops ever designed; Every curve and every circuit has been obsessed over by some of the best industrial designers and engineers in the world.

The code that makes up OSX is like poetry -- it's tidy and neat, and works efficiently for what you're doing, whether that's writing novels, recording music, designing a building, performing ridiculously complicated mathematics -- or just playing poker or watching a DVD.

For your use, this machine will last you a number of years. As your interests and performance needs grow, so will your MBP. Take care of your laptop and enjoy it.

Any friend who wouldn't be happy for you probably has much deeper issues -- I suspect it's deep-seated insecurity that doesn't have much to do with you or your MacBook Pro. Don't feel bad, we all have experiences with people like this.

You're awesome for saving money and buying a great piece of technology. Enjoy it.

21. xdbuix macrumors 6502

or u can wait until September and hope they drop a complete overhaul and say to him "why didn't you wait for the redesign because yours is bad?" lol

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

I generally by a new computer every 3-4 years, unless I have a need to do so more often because of damage or wear and tear. Just bought the 2011, replacing my 2007.

23. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Your model was eight months old when you got it... that is the end of the MBP's update cycle. You should have waited! It is all your fault.

You can either live with it or sell it and buy a new one. But in eight months or so when the MBP gets a complete redesign you will just feel bad again.

This is the tech world we live in. I love it! I welcome progress! You're just sad because you want the latest and greatest but don't want to pay for it or own up to your own impatience by not waiting for the update.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

tell him to ****off :cool:

25. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

No, you should not be mad. Your MBP is awesome. Just ignore the negative comments.