Should i buy 2017 MBP or wait for 2018 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaveMike11, Dec 2, 2017.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

cmmon guyyys

bbbe nnice

2. warburg macrumors 6502a

I just got the 2017 MacBook Pro yesterday, and the clicking sounds that occur when using the keyboard are driving me crazy. Otherwise, I like it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2018 ---

3. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

Insurance and naked is the way to go.

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Only reason I prefer a bumper still is that I put the phone down on my truck console all the time and the bumper has nice rubber grip. The phone doesn't move an inch, so I love the bumper on there.

Also, when I'm doing some navigation with it, the bumper holds it in place on the dash next to the speedometer in just the right spot, right in my line of view, with no other hardware needed.

It's amazing what a sub $1 piece of plastic/rubber can do for usability..

5. han_del_, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

han_del_ macrumors newbie

han_del_

That's the key question. For instance, I just got a new 13" MBP. Since I only use word processing apps, do the usual Safari, watch movies, read and answer email, stream music on Tidal, stuff like that, I can't imagine the 2018 would offer anything I need. I don't use many peripherals other than a headphone amp and storage device, so I've had no problem whatsoever with dongles. I probably could've done fine with an Air, except that I didn't like the faded-out-looking screen. The 12" MB screen is too small for me. IMO the 13" MBP with Fn keys and 121 GB storage should really be the entry-level MB and the 12" should be the Air.

The 16GB I can understand but the need for 512GB will vary for each user. The 121GB MBP is more than enough for a user like me. I either store everything in the cloud or stream. And I have an external drive that gives me more memory than I can ever need.

For a casual user like me, where would I most likely find 8 GB memory wanting in a few years? My mid-2010 MB had 4 GB, and I was doing fine with it as of last week. With the software updates it got a little slower but not all that much.

Didn't they fix the keyboard issues of the 2016 version in 2017?

If they go back to the earlier keyboard design, won't they have to make the notebooks a little bigger/thicker/heavier? I don't see that happening.

6. csurfr macrumors 68020

You’ll find that in time you won’t press the keys as hard as you did before. Keyboard will essentially be silent. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I rarely hear my keys when typing.

7. Govmuri macrumors newbie

Govmuri

I got the 13inch i7 NTB 512g 16gb version for 1799$ in a Best Buy and haven’t opened it yet as I am unsure if I should wait for the same config but with quad core. I am sure the new one would be significantly more expensive but would the quad core make such a difference? What do you Think about the price I got for ?

8. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

What do you do with your MBP. The question you should ask yourself is that do you need quad core? Not many apps that will utilise four cores. Thus you might not see that much performance differences in real life usage, despite on paper that can be up to 20%-30% better.