Should I Buy A Macbook Pro Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bob616, Jul 2, 2009.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I am looking into getting a macbook pro 15" soon, but i have a couple of questions.

1. When will it be updated again?
    2. I heard that apple is going to bail on NVDIA soon should I wait for them to do that so I get a laptop with what ever new graphics chip they put in the Macbook Pro.
    3. Should I wait for snow leopard to come out?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Numerous threads, possible; but unlikely minor bump before the new year, if not, prbly January (but really, anyone's guess)

Umm...I don't see why, the current ones are clearly working fine.

Upgrade, not so costly. There won't be a hardware update with Snow Leopard (I mean there could, but def. no signs pointing that way)

As always, a new computer doesn't make yours worse. Consult the Buyers Guide, but now is a good time to buy, especially if you are a student obviously.

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

if you already have a mac and can stand to wait, i would. check the buyers guide for more upgrade cycle info.
    im guessing right when school starts again, they will refresh.

4. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well my problem right now is I have a really old macbook and it chokes up on my when ever I use Final Cut Pro. I don't need it greatly right now but I will defiantly need it in september.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...front page macrumors there was an article that in the future :apple: "might" go back to intel for chipsets... especially with the issue of mobile quad core chips looming...

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Ummmm... J&J, I just wanted to know how much all of your Apple hardware costs in Japan... I visited my relatives in Korea, and the Apple stores there had an iMac 24 at... *choke* $3,900 converted dollars. It was the low end base model, but the strange thing was, their hardware was different from ours. All of the models in the store were using Samsung (Korean brand) hard drives and screens, some were using LG (also Korean) for screens. However, their displays were INCREDIBLY bright! I mean, they were SO bright that, if you walked into the store at night, there would not be any need for lighting, the glare from the screens is bright enough to illuminate the interior.

8. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

1) MBP's have only just been updated.
    2) Nothing wrong with the current 9400M / 9600M GT.
    3) No point really, it's only going to cost you $10 US to get SL anyway.

9. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

I would wait for snow leopard so you can save 129ish $$$

thats what im gunna do

10. foranor macrumors regular

If he buys any :apple: now, Snow Leopard will cost him $10 to upgrade, not $129.

11. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

I thought 29

12. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

That one is a stretch of the truth by the many threads on the forum about flickering displays. Should you buy now. Only you have answers for that.

13. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

:confused: Must have missed the 'many threads on the forum about flickering displays'. Let me have another look...

"It seems to be a issue with faulty logic boards and/or their frequency calibration to the screen. In other words, the logic boards are miscalibrated to the screen and send it frequencies that flickers slow enough for our eyes to see."​

Not seeing anywhere that this is an issue with the 9600M GT GPU. :)

Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program

Attached Files:

14. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I sincerely hope that is irony. The macbook 15" and 17" have BIG problems with flickering screens. You are NOT selling Apple here! You are giving private advice regarding a $2000 purchase.

15. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Once again... :confused:

There are a few isolated incidents with a particular panel / logic board issue. You seem to be saying that all 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro's have these problems. And the majority don't.

I have myself used two brand new 15-inch MacBook Pro's - early 2009 and mid 2009, no such faults existed on those units!

You need to step away from your computer and get some air I think. :)

16. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard will be released by the end of September, if you'll need a new laptop early in the month it isn't worth waiting. Definitely no update is coming until then, as well. So nothing's going to happen in the next two months regarding MBPs. Get one now and order Snow Leopard for $9.99 or something.

Also regarding next updates: traditionally "revisions" refer to case redesigns, but if a significant change is coming (Arrandale? no nVidia chipsets? Intel's graphics?), it'll still be a 1st generation and all revision A rules apply - don't buy it until it proves to be fine or is fixed. Of course it's possible there will be another speed bump before the switch from Core 2 Duo, but I don't see it coming before November at least (and I doubt it'll be this year at all).

17. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Once again YOU are not Apple public relations. Apple legal can say that this is isolated cases. They always do that because of legal issues. Doesn't make that the truth. The truth is this is a big problem for many users around the world. You have forums like this one, apple discussion board and many others talking about the flickering and apple care repairing and exchanging computers. It is now 2 model series that are prone to flickering screens. First we have the unibody 15" and 17" and then the latest 15" and 17" with SD slot that has this issue.

No, i am not saying every computer have a hardware problem but you told the thread starter that there were no issues and nothing wrong with the graphics design Apple uses. That is just plain wrong and you know it. You are doing the community a disservice for not being upfront about this issue.

18. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

It's an isolated case to me. I work in the industry and haven't seen any MBP's with these problems. Maybe I was lucky. Either way, anther thread has indicated that the problem doesn't happen in Leopard 10.5.6 same for Snow Leopard. Probably a driver issue then.

I think you're the one doing the disservice, actually I find you incredibly recalcitrant.

Like I said, I deploy MBP's often and have never seen this problem or had a single customer complain about anything like this.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+1, never seen the problem on any of our uMBPs. (of course that doesn't mean it isn't happening, just that it's not all that common an occurrence -- just want you said!)

Cheers,

20. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I haven't seen any "screen flickering" problems at all on any machines we have including my new MBP. Frostie needs to chill out as this isn't a big problem or it would be all over this forum and others and it isn't because I truthfully haven't seen much discussion on it at all on here.

21. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Ok, chill pill taken. No worries. :)

22. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

It's occurring only when I use the 9600.

Maybe I was unlucky. I'm on my second MBP with flickering issues. It happened in 10.5.6, and 10.5.7 didn't fix it.

There are threads on here, in Apple discussions, and on every other Mac-related site.

It appears to be a logic board problem. At least, that's what Apple is replacing to fix the issue.

OP, sorry for participating in the thread derail. :(

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wouldn't the correct answer be "Some 15" and 17" mbp owners have reported flickering issues with their machines when using the 9600 card?"

24. lavinci macrumors 6502

Just buy it if you really need it especially with the free ipod and printer deal going on. They were recently updated so you shouldn't have a problem worrying about future updates.

25. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

No. You should always wait until something better comes along.