Should i buy Macbook pro now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nba188, Mar 7, 2018.

  1. Nba188 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2017
    #26
    I will be very disapointed if i will buy macbook and after 2-3 month there will be a new model..

    For my needs, the macbook pro and the 12 inch macbook will be perfect so maybe i will have to take the 12 inch because he has the lower chance to get an update?
     
  2. Fthree macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2014
    #27
    thats awesome! I had no clue they were going to do quad core in the next 13's. Where did you get that info?
     
  3. EugW, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

    EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #28
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Just get what you need/want.

    If you need a 13" with multiple ports and Thunderbolt, why in the world would you get a 12" MacBook? On the flip side, if a 12" MacBook suits you better, why in the world would you get a 13" MacBook Pro?

    In any case, if you’re worried, you can just wait until the release happens.

    There are already U-class quad chips out that would be OK in the 13", but even better U-class quad chips are supposedly coming as early as next quarter. I'm expecting that shortly after this second wave of (Coffee Lake) U series chips is launched, Apple will launch new 13" quad-core MacBook Pros (and 15" hex-core MacBook Pros). Think Q2 or Q3 2018.
     
  4. maerz001 macrumors 65816

    maerz001

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #29
    Well probably u don't really know what u need.

    If u think that a MB is enough why event waste time to wait for a quadcore update in the MBP? It will be a couple of hundred $$$ more and the power will be unused by you.

    I recommend an Apple refurbished MB or discounted 2017 model if you don't have a computer now.
     
  5. MichaelDT macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2012
    #30
    TDP isn't everything, it is just one metric. If it doesn't behave right or pushes limits it may be ruled out for this gen or throttled. Apple has done this before. It may happen, I just don't think we should be acting like its a certainty and advising newbies that it will.
     
  6. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #31
    Hex core is a lock. There is no question my mind at all for the iMac. It's not a matter of if, but when.

    And while TDP isn't perfect, it's what the design specifications need to meet. Furthermore, according to reviews, the i7-8700K's TDP is quite reasonable. It will behave like the i7-7700K, which is not ideal behaviour, but we already know that Apple is quite happy to ship a 27" iMac with the i7-7700K's power characteristics, so it should be no different with the i7-8700K.

    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1185...-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers/5

    91808.png

    As you can see, in this particular test at full load, both the 7700K and 8700K come in at under 90 Watts.
     
  7. raqball macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2016
    #32
    Agree.. There are some good sales going on and you can save some serious cash.. I picked up mine a few months ago and saved over $350.. I have no need for whatever the rumored upgrades end up being as I am a home user who does not really push the machine I have now.

    I've never understood the waiting game. We don't know when Apple will release the new machines and we don't know what they will come with. Anyone making contrary statements is just guessing and setting some up for disappointment.

    The old adage holds true. Buy a new computer when you need a new computer. Now if we were within a few weeks and had a better grasp I'd say maybe try and wait it out by borrowing or renting a machine to get you by but I don't see anything imminent. Shipping times for custom builds is a good indication of when something is on the way and shipping times right now for custom builds are the same they were 2 months ago..
     
  8. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #33
    Regarding the 45 Watt chips in the 15" MacBook Pro:

    The second tier Coffee Lake H Core i7-8850H was tested and compared against the second tier Kaby Lake H Core i7-7820H (the latter currently in the MBP). Speed improvement was 35% in the Sandra Arithmetic bench.

    https://hothardware.com/news/intel-...aked-benchmarks-claim-35-uplift-over-last-gen
     
  9. raqball macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2016
    #34
    As I previously stated, I am not really interested in the spec banter since we don't know what or when Apple is doing anything..

    When we know come back and post the actual specs and comparison. If it's a 30% increase then cool beans but it does not sound like that matters to the OP since he/she is also considering the rMB.

    Sounds to me like the OP is merely interested in which is getting updated 1st which is odd for a computer purchase but to each their own..
     
  10. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #35
    I'm just refuting your earlier claims about the performance of these chips. We already have real data to support the claims of the faster speeds. Whether or not Apple itself uses those chips is a different question, but regardless, the speed boosts are real.

    Maybe not for the OP, but for others, this is why I said it's foolish not to wait if you don't have an urgent need to purchase. This has the potential to be a very big update.

    BTW, I refused to buy a MacBook in 2016 because I knew HEVC upgrades were coming in 2017, even though it wasn't guaranteed that Apple would make use of those chips, or the HEVC support in those chips. Under your logic I should have just bought in 2016 if that's when I was really looking. Well, I waited for 2017, and guess what? Apple has incorporated HEVC support across the board in the OS and the software, and those with 2016 Macs get only partial support, to the point where stuff I can do on my Core m3 MacBook that people with the iMac i7-6700K can't even do.

    The key is strategic waiting. It's just about waiting for the next best thing, but waiting for updates that have the potential to be quite significant. One of those was the transition to Kaby Lake with HEVC and DRM support, and now the next is for dual core to quad core or quad core to hex core, with potentially large performance gains.
     
  11. raqball macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2016
    #36
    You are not refuting anything as the specs you are using are phantoms at this point. I guess you can keep posting the same thing over and over again but it really makes no sense whatsoever to me since everything you are posting is not factual at this point. IF Apple uses those chips then come back if and when they become a reality. Until then you are not really providing anything other than rumor and possible false hope.

    At any rate, we are off topic so I'll move along at this point.
     
  12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #37
    If you absolutely need one NOW, then buy one now.

    If you can wait, it might be better to wait until the 2018's are released. The current design seems fraught with problems, especially the keyboards.

    Alternative:
    Buy an Apple-refurbished 2015-design MacBook Pro.
    They are sturdier than the newer ones, and nearly as fast.
     
  13. raqball macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2016
    #38
    I would not personally buy a 2015 for the prices they are selling for. No way, no how I'd spend that amount on a 3-year old machine.

    I agree if you need now then buy now and if it's not a need then wait. I don't foresee Apple doing much with the 2018 KB other than trying to improve the failure rates. Will they succeed? Who knows but Apple Care + will be an almost required purchase on even the 2018's since we won't know if Apple has succeeded in solving the issue for moths and AC+ has to be purchased within the 1st 60-days..

    The OP appears to be only concerned with which is releasing 1st though between the rMB and the MBP..
     
  14. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #39
    I think the OP should really sit down and decide what kind of machine s/he wants. Buying just based on which gets released first is a recipe for regret.
     
  15. shyam09 macrumors 68020

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #40
    God damn. Looked at the 8th gen benchmarks and I'm drooling. Going to law school (so word processor + web browser) is all I really need, so I was planning on waiting until July (after WWDC) to buy a last-gen laptop for cheaper ... not so much now.
     
  16. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #41
    Just wait until summer. If you are in the right country, that's when the Mac education sales are. That's also when some of the new machines may be released. Even if it gets released in April, I'd still wait for the edu sale (if you're in the right country).
     
  17. Zippy99 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2017
    #42
    EugW thanks for your ongoing analysis and sharing in these types of posts. I've been planning my next upgrade for the last 4-5 months and have found your posts very useful. Can't wait for that quad core MBP 13.
     
  18. maerz001 macrumors 65816

    maerz001

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #43
    Oh lala. Well for that demanding processes you can buy a ten year old one for really cheap:)
     
  19. maerz001 macrumors 65816

    maerz001

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #44
    Well when he buys a Mac mini there is a good chance that it won't get updated ever :)
     
  20. Cristim74 macrumors regular

    Cristim74

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2016
    Location:
    Bucharest, Romania
    #45
    I was in the same boat, undecided if to buy or still wait.
    Yesterday I just bought a 15" rMPB 2017 i7 2.9GHz 16Gb 512Gb SSD space grey.
    I'd rather use it now than wait 6 month. There will always be a new one around the corner.
    If you need the computer now, just buy it and enjoy it.
     
  21. lpolarityl macrumors 6502

    lpolarityl

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2009
    #46
    If you absolutely need something now and can't wait until after WWDC and for new products to release, buy a open box or refurbished one that has Apple Care or can have Apple Care added. I absolutely do not recommend paying full price for any MacBook right now when new ones are coming in less than 4 months.
     
  22. Closingracer macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #47


    Yay? Benchmarks are useless imho. Also I would rather save money on a 2017 15 inch vs spending top dollar for a 2018 15 inch unless you really need the spec increase ( you probably don't or won't really notice). I would wait for the Quad core 13 inch though.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2018 ---

    Meh Save the $$$ and get the last gen. In the end you won't notice the difference.
     
  23. EugW, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

    EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #48
    1. It’s not the top dollar model. It’s the second tier model, as mentioned right in my post. In other words, the second tier 2018 15” model would be faster than the top tier 2017 15” model, for less money.

    2. If you want to get a good discount on the 2017 15” model, then you’ll need to wait until the 2018 15” is out, so all the more reason to wait.
     
  24. Closingracer macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #49

    Nah You are reading into benchmarks for what? Your computer will never reach those synthetic benchmark even under load. I also don't give a crap about them either. Yeah the A11 Bionic Chip is the best even better then the Snapdragon 845 but guess what? I still will keep using my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 because its fast enough for me. Not like I will use the chip to its max. As far as faster sure it will be. Then I guess you should wait until 2019 because those will be faster then the ones coming out this year. If I need something now I am not going to wait 3-4 months for a new one.
     
  25. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #50
    You completely sidestepped my response. So I’ll repeat it.

    1. Again, I didn’t post the top dollar specs. I posted the second tier specs. As in not top dollar.

    2. You said you want a discounted 2017. The way to get a good discount on the 2017 is to wait until the 2018 is out.
     

Share This Page