Should i buy Macbook pro now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nba188, Mar 7, 2018.

1. 06tb06 macrumors regular

06tb06

"MacRumors" has lived up to its name in this thread, Lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple released a MacBook model with a standalone A11 Bionic or A12 chip just to see customers' reaction, just like Microsoft's Windows RT machines a few years back (Microsoft's attempt at Windows on ARM processors). Apple has already incorporated the T2 chip into the iMac Pro as a security enclave. It wouldn't surprise me if they had Macs in-house running a custom version of macOS on their A-Series processors.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Cool? Top dollar or no who cares if you posted whatever.

3. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Sure, but even if they released such a beast, it would not be appropriate for most MacBook Pro buyers, because presumably they actually need to run software, including third party software. It would actually make more sense to release an ARM MacBook than an ARM MacBook Pro.

As for the quad-core 13", it's very, very likely. It's not as if it's some pie-in-the-sky wish. The chips are real, so Apple will may as well use them. The question is what the product line will look like. I see three possible scenarios:

1) One entry level dual-core with the rest of the 13" models quad.
    2) The non-TB remaining dual-core, with the TB models going quad.
    3) All go quad.

The likelihood of Apple not introducing quad in any of the 13" models is slim.

4. lpolarityl macrumors 6502

lpolarityl

6 core i5's exist with Coffe Lake so I can't see them not bringing quad's to the 13" lineup. Vega iGPU's will be somewhere in the lineup too I would think.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

I'll go with option 2.

6. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Maybe. Maybe not. I dunno. So far the only Vega consumer cards that have been announced are high end high power consumption desktop cards.

7. lpolarityl macrumors 6502

lpolarityl

8. Nba188 thread starter macrumors member

6 month its ok but i afarid there is new one in the next 1-3 month..

9. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

10. raqball macrumors 68000

That's not really the question you should be asking..
    • Do you need a machine now?
      • Yes? Buy now
      • No? Wait and see what comes
    • Do you need the additional power the new machines might offer?
      • Yes? Wait if you can
      • No? Buy now and save some cash by buying a 2017 on sale
    My guess is that you don't need the additional power the new machines might offer since you are also considering the 12" rMB.. Is this just a case wanting the best/newest specs type thing even though you'll never utilize those specs?

11. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

The prices now are still high.
    The best time to save cash on the 2017 models will be after the 2018 models have been announced.

S/he might be able to save some money by going for a refurb though.

12. raqball macrumors 68000

Maybe, maybe not.. I got mine a few months ago and saved over $350.. I doubt I'd be able to get it for less than that even after the 2018 are out, unless buying used..

13. 06tb06 macrumors regular

06tb06

Yes, those 15-watt quad-core SKUs exist. The most popular chip in PC notebooks seems to be the 8th Gen i7-8550U (Turbo up to 4.0GHz). Dual-core processors still hold up pretty well. Heck, even the almost decade old Core 2 Duo chips in older iMac/MacBooks still hold up pretty well in modern workloads. I embrace all computing technology and am fascinated by the next thing like anyone else, but, what's on the market today will do just fine for most people.

We can speculate all day about future/unreleased Apple products (including Macs) but most people buy solutions as opposed to the next best thing. In other words, if it breaks today, I'm going to buy a new solution tomorrow as opposed to wait ~1 to 6 mo. on something that may or may not come to a future product.

14. EugW, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Care to share the details? Refurb or 3rd party store sale?

$350 off a new machine is pretty unusual.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2018 ---
    I use Core 2 Duos myself, but let's not exaggerate here. The Core 2 Duos have started to lag even just for MS Office and web surfing. I would never recommend one in 2018 as a primary pro content creator's machine.

As for that broken MBP, if I had a backup computer, which I do, I'd most definitely wait a few months for a new model. However, if I didn't have a backup, I'd just get a new one now.

15. raqball macrumors 68000

No it's not abnormal. B&H and Adorama have killer sales all the time. On top of the sales, they have free shipping and no sales tax. If you buy a refurb from Apple you have to pay sales tax which in some cases, buying from either of the previously mentioned stores is the better buy since it's new in box and cheaper.

I bought mine from Adorama on sale (space gray only version) and also used an additional $50 discount code on top of the sales price. All in all I have about $362 on it.

16. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Adorama has a bad reputation. I personally would not recommend a friend buying from there. B&H is good, but they don't take returns on configure-to-order Macs AFAIK. (Neither does Adorama.) If you order from Apple, they accept returns.

It's moot for those of us outside the US though.

EDIT:

Forget that. I got Adorama mixed up with another store.

17. jrichards1408 macrumors 6502

I'd honestly wait. Quad core is well worth it

18. raqball macrumors 68000

LOL.. Adorama does not have a bad reputation. I've personally had more issues with B&H in the past than I've had with Adorama..

19. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

No you're right. I got Adorama mixed up with another store. Sorry about that.

Adorama doesn't take returns though. This would have been a very important consideration for my iMac purchase. I am very glad I bought it from Apple and not a third party. I ended up returning my 2017 i7-7700K iMac because of the fan noise. I ended saving a few bucks and got the much quieter i5-7600 instead.

20. 06tb06 macrumors regular

06tb06

It's not unusual at all. I saved $700 on my new 2017 iMac. Sent off my MacBook Pro to Phobio for $523 (which I received as Apple Store credit), plus I made my purchase through Apple's Education Store.

$1499 21.5-inch iMac + $200 RAM upgrade + $100 SSD upgrade.

$1799 total, minus $523 Apple Store credit and $180 academic credit. I only spent about ~$1100 out of pocket.

21. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

That obviously isn't the same thing. You got a credit for selling your used Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2018 ---
    Yup. As I said before, if you can wait, then wait. This is a pretty big reason to wait.

22. raqball macrumors 68000

They'll do exchanges and even though they say no returns for refund, you can still get them to do so. I returned a 2015 a few years ago because right out of the box it had a bad screen. They wanted to exchange it but after a few back and forth emails they agreed to a refund..

But yes, technically they, nor B&H, do refunds on computers once the box is opened..

23. Nba188 thread starter macrumors member

Everyone told me that his old macbook from 2012-2016 is still very fast!!
    So why i need faster and faster mac??
    The only issue i have with new model is about new design and new features ..

So guys, do you think the new model will have only new processors or also new design and fetaures?

24. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Yes, they will do exchanges for broken stuff. But with Apple they'll take a return even if it's 100% fully functional. That came in handy for my iMac i7-7700K. I figured the i7 would behave like my previous i7-870 where it after a few minutes of full load the fan would ramp up. However, the i7-7700K ramps up in under 30 seconds, and after a week I got really annoyed with it.

OTOH, the 12" MacBook I got was great out of the box and has stayed great. :)

Up to you to decide what you want and need, not us. And will there be a design change? I dunno, but I am guessing no.

It sounds like you do not need more speed, since after all these posts you still haven't told us what would use that faster speed.

25. raqball macrumors 68000

I'd say there is a zero chance of a redesign and what do you mean by features? The ports will probably stay the same and any OS features added will also be available to all eligible machines..