Should I buy the Apple rechargeable batteries?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applefan289, Sep 26, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I currently own a 27" iMac with a Magic Mouse and Apple wireless keyboard, and am finding that I have to replace the batteries about once a month. Once every few months, I find myself having to go to a store to buy another pack of batteries (the price is around $7 per pack).

The Apple rechargeable batteries are $29. Do you think I should buy it? The Apple keyboard and mouse are the most frequent items I have that I have to replace the batteries for. I think it would be better on the environment and on my wallet in the long run if I bought them.

What do you think?

Thanks.

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I only have the mouse, but I bought them and have been happy with them.

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm definitely thinking about buying them because it feels so wasteful (especially over the years - I've had the mouse and keyboard since 2009) to continue purchasing disposable (and expensive) batteries. And when I throw them out, I feel guilty that I'm being so wasteful every month.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

$29 for what? You can get an 8-pack for like $15 of rechargeable Duracell-Energizer

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

they are not to expensive. If you can afford it. Duracell are not as good and can actually dammage some products, For me sanyo enoloop or apple.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought the Apple ones were rebadged Enloops?

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Wirelessly posted (IPod Touch 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

9. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, I guess Apple's price is just for the nice look? Or does it actually perform better?

I don't buy that many items, so I think I may go with the Apple one since I want the peace of mind that it will work as it should and is specifically made for Apple stuff.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think apple charges more since you get two more batteries and a more efficient charger. I have a set of energizer ones that I wouldn't hesitate to use in any device though.

11. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

12. jljue macrumors regular

I typically buy Rayovac pre-charged rechargeables, but Sanyo or Apple should be fine for your purpose. Most recharged batteries seem to have better storage life than the non-recharged type. I find it more convenient to charge these and wait for their next use instead of waiting for a charge to use again, when can.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd probably just go with the Eneloops because (I think) they come with more batteries and (I think) they're cheaper. Batteries are batteries so hopefully they work ... heh.

Either is fine, really. It's up to you. :D

14. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Apple batteries are rebranded Sanyo Eneloops.

They will work exactly the same, and the eneloops are actually very nice looking themselves. As someone mentioned, the main difference is the charger. Apple's charge is a bit more energy efficient.

I'm not sure what your battery needs are, but if you look around on Amazon, you should be able to find packs of eneloops that include other types of batteries. I ordered a pack that came with 8 AAs and 4 AAAs

15. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I use energizer rechargeable batteries. Never had a problem. What's so bad with them?

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

the new eight+ 2500mah wouldn't keep a useful charge (camera flash) for more than two weeks of non-use and after a year of very light usage they wouldn't keep a charge at all.

the envelops do both even after being used for a session in the flash

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am currently using recyko batteries and they are losing charge like crazy. 10% in one day? :confused: Anyone facing a similar problem with their rechargeable batteries losing power at an accelerated rate?

18. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I have the Apple batteries and they are great. The charger is pretty nice as well. Yes there are other brands that might perform as well but at the end of the day buy what you want and be happy with your purchase.

19. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

Not So Good

I bought the Apple rechargeables early on for the Apple TrackPad, which I love. These batteries discharge in a matter of days and are a more or less constant reminder that I am unhappy with the purchase. I have had some old, old rechargeable Energizers in my wireless keyboard for at least two months and they still have 53% charge.

20. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

actually the keyboards seem to sap less battery power. i used to have a wireless keyboard and mouse with my PC, and the mouse would drain waay faster while the keyboard would last for a looong time.

21. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for all the help guys.

I decided to buy the Apple one from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723305-REG/Apple_MC500LL_A_Battery_Charger.html

At that price (with no tax or shipping) you can't go wrong. I bought this only for my mouse and keyboard (because the other things in my house with batteries, like TV remotes, I don't have to change for like 6 months). I think it will save me money in the long run (and be better for the environment).

Thanks for the heads up, but I've seen more positive reviews of this product than negative. And I wanted the Apple one to "match" my mouse and keyboard, which are the only reason I'm buying rechargeable ones.

Once again, thank you all for the recommendations!

22. maverick1984 macrumors newbie

definitely worth it, i use them for remotes and even my xbox 360 controllers, have been working great

23. murrayE macrumors member

Replacing Apple rechargeable AA cells?

How long in normal rotation -- among charger, wireless keyboard, wireless Magic Mouse -- might the 4 pairs of Apple-branded rechargeable AA batteries be expected to last?

And when it's time to replace them, will another brand, e.g., Sanyou eneloop 1500 Ni MH rechargeables be compatible with the Apple-branded recharger?
    (In other words: are chargers and batteries interchangeable -- or is there any reason a particular brand of rechargeable AA's should be recharged only in that brand's own recharger?)