Should I buy the Feb.2008 Macbook Pro or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klovn, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. klovn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    #1
    Hello,
    I'm new here and to the Mac world. I recently sold my Sony Vaio to buy a Mac, which I've been reading a lot about.
    Now, I'm really unsure. I don't know if I should wait for the new design Macbook that is said to be released in august or if I should buy one now.

    Opinions of Mac lovers will be really well appreaciated!
     
  2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2005
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    I did and so should you. :)
     
  3. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #3
    I think you should wait for the MBP thats scheduled to come out on January 14, 2011. That thing looks sweet:D
     
  4. klovn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    #4
    Thanks for the fast answer guys!
    Really, I don't know what to do!
    I have the money to buy the best config MBP but I would really get depressed if after I buy it, within a few months a new better version gets released!
    Is it true that the new design will be released this year tho?
     
  5. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

    elgrecomac

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    San Diego
    #5
    Just do it.

    Having recently play this game, my recommendation is to just bite the bullet and get one now. Realize that there will always be something bigger, better, faster, 'cooler'. I bought a pre-penryn MBP in late January and I am 100% pleased with it. Would I like a 'cooler' faster lighter laptop? Sure but I had to buy...so I did. Assuming this computer is for work or school....then...just do it.

    And if the MB Air is any indication, new models or significantly tweaked upgrades seem to come with 'undocumented' features, so let some other guy with time on his hands do the end user QA on that product and, instead, buy one that works and all the 'undocumented' features have addressed or have well known workarounds. :cool:
     
  6. scotthayes macrumors 68000

    scotthayes

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #6
    Just buy the highest specification MacBook Pro you can afford and suits your needs. There is no point waiting for the next update just get the best you can today.
     
  7. mox123 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago
    #8
    u can always get one now and sell it on ebay/craigslist when the new one comes out....there are always manufacturing kinks to be ironed out though whenever they introduce a brand new form factor for their hardware...

    Macs hold up in value pretty well in general...
     
  8. mike2q macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #9
    actually I'd wait. I hear the fall 2008 MBP is getting a flux capacitor. As we all know that's the part that makes time travel possible. While I'm surfing the net of the future (literally) you'll be looking like a chump with your old skool MBP feb 2008. If time travel isn't one of your needs then buy now. Know that you cant upgrade to a FC later though.

    (unless there is a feature you know is coming out then waiting is pointless. Hoping for something new that may be better is a silly gamble. Two years from now you'll look back at two close revisions as practically the same thing with minor changes.) IMHO
     
  9. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #10
    Plutonium isn't great for battery life.
     
  10. mike2q macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #11
    yeah. And the power comsumption goes from 35 watts to 1.21 "ginkiwatts".
     
  11. PDE macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #12
    I've heard that Apple is going to announce non-yellowing screens this summer or possibly next year, depending on availability. I'm really excited!

    Seriously, if you wait and get the first generation of whatever it is that is coming (and we don't even know that this summer will see a new model), you're asking for trouble. Apple has had many years to try to perfect the current model and has failed - just imagine all the trouble they'll have at the beginning of a new product cycle!

    Get the current model and the only trouble you may encounter is a yellowing screen, a little warped display bezel, some sound output hissing and a few other little goodies. It would be no fun if we didn't have something to bitch about here!
     
  12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #13
    I bought my MBP in mid-January and don't regret it. I needed it for school. If you need one now, then get one and don't look back. Like elgrecomac said there will always be something better coming out. And remember, just because Apple releases a new version of a computer won't make yours useless. It will still do everything that you bought it for.

    That said, if you don't need one right away, you might want to wait until WWDC.
     
  13. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

    cheekybobcat

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    Location:
    U-S of A
    #14
    Similar thread, different person.

    I say go for it though. Buy it and you'll be happy. Waiting for the next best thing to come out will leave you MacBook Pro-less for...ever.
     
  14. klovn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    #15
    Thanks for all the answer, guys. They were really helpful.
    There's one thing that is still stopping me: If I buy the 2.6Ghz, in the near future it won't be worth anything compared to what I've paid, same happened to me and my Vaio. I bought it in mid-2007 and I had to discount a lot of the price to sell it this month, and it wasn't even heavily used..

    Yea, that's really a tough decision.
     
  15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #16
    there's goes your lesson in technology!
    the moment you open the box, it loses value dramatically.
    if you're not comfortable with this.. buy a DIAMOND or GOLD instead.

    if we are very disappointed with our 2000-3000 MBPs losing value..
    i wonder how the owner of the $1,000,000 luvaglio laptop is feeling.:D
     
  16. steinlager macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    #17
    Wait if you want. Buy if you can't. Simple as that :)

    We don't need to list the specs for you, you can determine what you want by yourself. I'm sure the *new* MBPs in June/July won't be significantly different in appearance. The specs on that won't be significantly different either. So here's what you need to decide:

    1) "I want the best and the newest (at the time)", wait until then.
    2) "I want a sweet-ass MBP which will almost be just as good, and I can get it right now", then buy right now.
     
  17. klovn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    #18
    Goddamnit, I just saw the Luvaglio laptop! It's madness!

    Damn, I'm almost buying the MBP but when I think about 800 DDR3 Ram, 2.8Ghz Processor, 1066 FSB, slimmer design and geforce 8800GT, it's like a punch on the face!

    Sorry this guys! You must be pissed off!
     
  18. Joko macrumors 6502

    Joko

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
  19. chris y. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2006
    Location:
    los angeles, ca
    #20
    If you really want to get a MBP now. Just buy one and be ready to accept the possibility of a loss from having to resell it in a couple of months IF new ones are released. If you cant afford to take that hit then wait.

    Personally I would just wait since it seems like you dont really need it, but in reality the newer MBPs are just going to be a few seconds quicker doing tasks that already are fast on the current MBPs.
     
  20. ricpac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #21
    Well I just ordered the baseline MBP and my cousin from SFO is gonna be bringing it over come May 3rd here. If the newer ones come out, I don't care as long as those days the newer ones aren't out yet, I have the best of the best.
     
  21. archesdevil macrumors 6502

    archesdevil

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    #22
    Wait until 2025. Who knows what they will have then?
     
  22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #23
    At this point I would recommend to wait since the montevina will be introduced probably in june and apple will refresh the mb/mbp by august.

    If you can wait then wait the 2-3 months for the real "complete" penryn montevina platform (of course just like the Santa rosa platform it won't be the real at or montevina since the Mbps are missing the intel wifi for it to be qualified as those platform, but Same exact chipset so same thing to me) with a higher front side bus, possibly 6gb of ram, pretty much 45nm is used so that the mbps can be much more powerful and ability for higher frontside buses.
     
  23. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    #24

    Why on earth would he have to resell it? When the next one comes out, so what? If he gets the next one (which despite all the rumors might not appear until Macworld) he'll have waited for the questionable pleasure of buying the first generation of a redesigned machine that would almost inevitably have problems galore.

    I'd say he should get his Penryn Macbook Pro now (it was only released a few weeks ago!!!) and get AT LEAST two good years of use out of it before even thinking about the next design. By then, even the newer machine will have had a couple of revisions and provide a more worthwhile upgrade.
    I doubt that there would be even a single, solitary task he could do better with the first release of the next generation machine than the present one.

    My advice to anyone would be to absolutely avoid a major new design for at least six months until initial problems have been resolved – unless the thrill of being the first person in the coffee shop to have whatever is coming next is of overriding importance.
     
  24. numbersyx macrumors 65816

    numbersyx

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #25
    If you need it now - get it. If you don't - wait for the next update. That new iMac look is very tasty...
     

Share This Page