Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Why on earth would he have to resell it? When the next one comes out, so what? If he gets the next one (which despite all the rumors might not appear until Macworld) he'll have waited for the questionable pleasure of buying the first generation of a redesigned machine that would almost inevitably have problems galore.

I'd say he should get his Penryn Macbook Pro now (it was only released a few weeks ago!!!) and get AT LEAST two good years of use out of it before even thinking about the next design. By then, even the newer machine will have had a couple of revisions and provide a more worthwhile upgrade.
I doubt that there would be even a single, solitary task he could do better with the first release of the next generation machine than the present one.

My advice to anyone would be to absolutely avoid a major new design for at least six months until initial problems have been resolved –

Your information is misleading, the next mbp will have different casing but same internally like the logic board, etc.. Also the next montevina platform is a rev b or 2nd rev of the current penryn and if anything will be way faster and more efficient and the current penryn models are the 1st rev a's.

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
Get a lower end macbook now, to use until the newest MBP comes out. Then you can; 1. sell the MB, 2. travel with MB and not worry about scratches and bumps, 3. use MB for a dedicated desktop.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Hello,
I'm new here and to the Mac world. I recently sold my Sony Vaio to buy a Mac, which I've been reading a lot about.
Now, I'm really unsure. I don't know if I should wait for the new design Macbook that is said to be released in august or if I should buy one now.

Opinions of Mac lovers will be really well appreaciated!

buy it if you need it, if you don't, cause if you do buy now and they come out with an update, your gonna be pissy,(i would be pissy too) Hey if you wait you might get a new updated case.

cheers

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
My advice to anyone would be to absolutely avoid a major new design for at least six months until initial problems have been resolved – unless the thrill of being the first person in the coffee shop to have whatever is coming next is of overriding importance.

+1 on this.
if you're still not convinced. look at the other side ( MBA thread!)
and count the complaints they have there.. ranging from battery life, to temperature..the list goes on.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
+1 on this.
if you're still not convinced. look at the other side ( MBA thread!)
and count the complaints they have there.. ranging from battery life, to temperature..the list goes on.

The MBA is not a redesign of a previous gen machine, there never was. The logic board is completely different and is like what the first gen macbook pro core duo was to the powerbook g4 1.67ghz models.

The MBA is a true first gen/first rev. machine where its just completely new in logic board/whole machine.

Redesign is just the casing being different and imo the new design will be superior as the apple engineers had 4-5 years to figure out how to better it from today's design.

But I'm telling you that you should just wait for the complete penryn.. I love the current penryn models it runs much cooler than the previous model while it runs at the same speed. BUT the next revision will fully utilized and take advantage of why the penryn was invented to add more front side bus... going from 800mhz to 1033mhz is a HUGE difference and maybe we can put in 6gb of RAM with the montevina platform which I think is highly possible.

klovn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
The MBA is not a redesign of a previous gen machine, there never was. The logic board is completely different and is like what the first gen macbook pro core duo was to the powerbook g4 1.67ghz models.

The MBA is a true first gen/first rev. machine where its just completely new in logic board/whole machine.

Redesign is just the casing being different and imo the new design will be superior as the apple engineers had 4-5 years to figure out how to better it from today's design.

But I'm telling you that you should just wait for the complete penryn.. I love the current penryn models it runs much cooler than the previous model while it runs at the same speed. BUT the next revision will fully utilized and take advantage of why the penryn was invented to add more front side bus... going from 800mhz to 1033mhz is a HUGE difference and maybe we can put in 6gb of RAM with the montevina platform which I think is highly possible.

Yea, I guess I'll just wait then. I kind of need but don't need the Macbook right now. I wanted it just right now because I would like to with Logic and Final Cut. But for music production, I can use my PC until the new MBP comes.
I'll just be hella dissapointed if it doesn't come in June!

jaredisme

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Yeah, I am having the same problem. I am pretty sure that my laptop is pretty dead, it is currently at the Geek Squad headquarters (I actually don't know where it is, but it is in California) for the second time this month and I am not expecting things to go well. So then I won't actually need a laptop until school starts next year as I could get through the rest of this year without one but I would like to have one to travel with this summer.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Yea, I guess I'll just wait then. I kind of need but don't need the Macbook right now. I wanted it just right now because I would like to with Logic and Final Cut. But for music production, I can use my PC until the new MBP comes.
I'll just be hella dissapointed if it doesn't come in June!

Dont worry you will NOT be disappointed!! Apple has to follow and upgrade from what Intel has to offer and by June Intel wont be focusing on producing and probably shut down production for the current penryn and produce only the montevina penryns.

Also this is why apple updated the macbooks early to get rid of their stocks of the current penryn to make room for the montevina.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
here is my input:

i bought my macbook in feb 08 the day after apple announced the speed increases. i was VERY happy at the time because i was able to buy my mac as early in the product change cycle as possible. now that there are rumors of revamps of the mb and mbp, i am very disappointed with my purchase. i did not think that apple would be making such a drastic change at the time. had i known, of course i would have waited. my advice: buy now if you must. however, if you can wait, WAIT. i wish i had known of the rumors at the time i bought my mb.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I would wait...

I sold my MacBook, but I needed another notebook to replace it, which is the reason I went with the penryn model. However I REALLY wanted to wait till WWDC.

being less than 2 months away from WWDC, there is no question that you should wait, unless you really need one right now!

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Thanks for all the answer, guys. They were really helpful.
There's one thing that is still stopping me: If I buy the 2.6Ghz, in the near future it won't be worth anything compared to what I've paid, same happened to me and my Vaio. I bought it in mid-2007 and I had to discount a lot of the price to sell it this month, and it wasn't even heavily used..

Yea, that's really a tough decision.

There's a huge difference in how well a Mac will hold its value compared to a Vaio (or any Wintel system). Take a look on eBay at the prices on older Mac laptops and you'll see that, while you won't get what you paid, the resale market is still pretty strong.

That's an apples to oranges comparison. Plus you can't look at a computer - any computer - as an investment opportunity that needs to be evaluated against return - doing that means you should never buy a computer at all.

klovn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
There's a huge difference in how well a Mac will hold its value compared to a Vaio (or any Wintel system). Take a look on eBay at the prices on older Mac laptops and you'll see that, while you won't get what you paid, the resale market is still pretty strong.

That's an apples to oranges comparison. Plus you can't look at a computer - any computer - as an investment opportunity that needs to be evaluated against return - doing that means you should never buy a computer at all.

I understand what you mean, but it was a really huge difference..
I bought it for US$4k then in the next month it was worth US$2k.
But yea, I will never expect a computer to be an investment opportunity, that's for sure. It's just that after this happened, I'll think 196x before buy one again, and that's what makes me so unsure.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Your information is misleading, the next mbp will have different casing but same internally like the logic board, etc.. Also the next montevina platform is a rev b or 2nd rev of the current penryn and if anything will be way faster and more efficient and the current penryn models are the 1st rev a's.

I was getting the impression that the next update to Penryn due in June would force Apple to move to Montevina from the Santa Rosa platform on the MacBook Pros. If this is the case then a complete logic board redesign is required, because they are fundamentally different (ie. new socket, new chipset). It seems fairly logical to me to assume that a case design will coinside with a major board redesign anyway.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
if you have a computer to use in the meantime, wait. if you dont buy it now. simple as that.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Check buyer's guide. I wouldn't buy a Mac laptop right now. It seems it has some problems with video card/software (?). Forums full of pictures with defective screens. Also Macbook Pro is 7 years old. It is basically very similar to original titanium Powerbook. So far Apple only UPGRADED Macbook Pro. In another words with each "new" release MBP was just getting either new Intel processor and more memory, better video card and bigger hard drive. But design is outdated. Look at Macbook Air. That's what you should expect next. And that will be not all. I think Apple will make somehow more user upgradable. It might be in either way- similar way as in Macbook or it might be like in Macbook Air- it is officially not upgradable by user, but it is easy to remove 4 screws than 20+ on original Macbook Pro. Also you might get Blu-ray instead of DVD player... I think upgrades will come this year. In 2 months might be. There is also one caveat- you might not like new model! But in this case you always can buy closeout model cheaper than current closeout models- nobody want old stuff- and with new design it will be very visible. So prices should drop more.

Other than that if you need a computer, then buy it. Any waiting is ridiculous- there is always something new in computer world. For example I am very satisfied with my white plastic 24 inch iMac. Aluminum ones have some issues with screen, I don't like glossy display, the only thing is that I overpaid by few THOUSANDS (compared my specifications with current ones)!

So question would be this- how bad do you need it and would you like to save some money or have the best new thing?

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
About unhappiness. We as humans always have urge to buy something, but after purchasing joy wears out and you want NEW! But I would say look this way- it is a thing. You buy things not because you just want to keep them in a box, but USE them. USING brings the real joy and pleasure. How many things you could do now with your new computer before the new one comes out? Look at Vista group. It was such a big deal before it came out. Once it came out people started to downgrade to XP! Similar thing happened with Leopard. There were some bugs. But since Apple cares about pleasing customers, they resolved almost all of them. That took about +/- 6 months.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for the fast answer guys!
Really, I don't know what to do!
I have the money to buy the best config MBP but I would really get depressed if after I buy it, within a few months a new better version gets released!
Is it true that the new design will be released this year tho?

I have an easy solution for you. Save the $500+ you would be wasting on the 2.5Ghz model MBP and get the 2.4Ghz model. Then when the new MBP releases in a few months if it's noticeably faster and you like it more sell your other one for a little loss and buy the newest. If you buy the next base model, which will undoubtedly be faster than the current fastest MBP, you'll come out even or ahead most likely depending on how much you're paying now. MBP's hold a higher resale value than PC laptops do. Or you can just wait a few months and see what happens when Apple releases a new revision to the MBP line. Up to you.

And in case you weren't aware you aren't going to notice any big difference between using a 2.4Ghz Penryn and a 2.6Ghz Penryn. 200Mhz is next to nothing in real world performance. The only real difference is the 3MB vs 6MB L2 cache and once again the performance difference isn't nearly enough to warrant the added cost. And you are talking about getting the 15.4" model right? Or are you looking at the larger 17"?

klovn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I have an easy solution for you. Save the $500+ you would be wasting on the 2.5Ghz model MBP and get the 2.4Ghz model. Then when the new MBP releases in a few months if it's noticeably faster and you like it more sell your other one for a little loss and buy the newest. If you buy the next base model, which will undoubtedly be faster than the current fastest MBP, you'll come out even or ahead most likely depending on how much you're paying now. MBP's hold a higher resale value than PC laptops do. Or you can just wait a few months and see what happens when Apple releases a new revision to the MBP line. Up to you.

And in case you weren't aware you aren't going to notice any big difference between using a 2.4Ghz Penryn and a 2.6Ghz Penryn. 200Mhz is next to nothing in real world performance. The only real difference is the 3MB vs 6MB L2 cache and once again the performance difference isn't nearly enough to warrant the added cost. And you are talking about getting the 15.4" model right? Or are you looking at the larger 17"?

Hey!
I think I'll wait because in the meantime I can do my productions on my new PC. I think it'll better for myself as I know I would get dissapointed later if the MBP really gets released. You guys probably got a wrong image of myself.. I don't want the new MBP simply to show people I got the newest one.. it's simply because of the performance. I love the current and I wouldn't care (I would even like!) if they keep the design. It's just because in the future it would be easier for me to upgrade and keep the MBP for a longer time.
And yes, I want the 17" one!

Thank you for the answers!

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
You are THE man. Save money and buy later. You just might get better deal later. What I hate about Apple is their price points. Every Macbook Pro starts at $1999. Every time they update it the price stay the same. Memory is the most overpriced thing. It is a ripoff al the time. In fact it is always better to buy more powerful processor than more memory from Apple.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Im in a similar situation, but i just cant see the Line being updated until August at the earliest, but i dont want to go out next month and buy one to be proved wrong.

I dont need a macbook at the moment, my PC is slowly dying, but i can ease probably another year of error filled use out of it. Its that I WANT it now :D

So when was penryn released, and when was the Penryn update? Hopefully it will give me some Montevina clues.

MaximusNL

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
Netherlands
When we take a look at Intel's Roadmap for the mobile and laptop cpu's we see that new platforms are going to be released in Q3 of 2008. The possiblity that these CPU's will be implemented in the MacBook Pro is quite big. A complete redesign is also one of the rumors which are going 'round the internet.

If you don't need the MBP this very instance I suggest you wait, just like me, for the WWDC is SF later is june/july. If there are no updates there the possibility of updating later this year is slim to zero.

Also bear in mind that when a new cpu is installed in the MBP they start shipping a A-revision which isn't always as stable as the later releases. If you compare the SR or Penryn MBP's with the early CoreDuo's there is a big difference between the two. Early adoption isn't always wise.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
For clues when to expect updates look into Intel website or news announcements. Apple is forced to update products shortly after Intel releases new model of processor.

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
I was in the same situation in november last year.... wanting to switch from a PC with vista to a macbook....

I had nightmares for months, I spent so much time reading this board rather than do more usefull things....

And in february I bought the new MBP.

Since then, I sleep good and I enjoy my new computer as if it was still the first day. I don't care anymore if there is something else coming out because the stress of wondering is gone. I have something in my hands that works.

Maybe the headache (keep or replace) will come back in a few months when something comes out. But I will deal with it then.

For now, I enjoy my life.

Buy and live... don't wait.

klovn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
When we take a look at Intel's Roadmap for the mobile and laptop cpu's we see that new platforms are going to be released in Q3 of 2008. The possiblity that these CPU's will be implemented in the MacBook Pro is quite big. A complete redesign is also one of the rumors which are going 'round the internet.

If you don't need the MBP this very instance I suggest you wait, just like me, for the WWDC is SF later is june/july. If there are no updates there the possibility of updating later this year is slim to zero.

Also bear in mind that when a new cpu is installed in the MBP they start shipping a A-revision which isn't always as stable as the later releases. If you compare the SR or Penryn MBP's with the early CoreDuo's there is a big difference between the two. Early adoption isn't always wise.

I would really get dissapointed if I don't see any update this July, principally because I'm out of USA and my friend who's studying there will arrive 1th July, and I asked him to bring me one. It's really a big chance of buying one without paying high custom taxes (different case if I order it to be shipped by post-mail) .
About the design, I really hope they learn with their mistakes with previous revisions and make this one even better, because customers are not beta-testers. So, keeping the new design and slimming it a bit would be more than enough for me.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I had nightmares for months, I spent so much time reading this board rather than do more usefull things....

And in february I bought the new MBP.

Since then, I sleep good and I enjoy my new computer as if it was still the first day. I don't care anymore if there is something else coming out because the stress of wondering is gone. I have something in my hands that works.

Maybe the headache (keep or replace) will come back in a few months when something comes out. But I will deal with it then.

For now, I enjoy my life.

Buy and live... don't wait.

I second this. The current MBP is an excellent machine. No one would be disappointed with it (if they got a model which worked correctly) unless they have unrealistic expectations (it can't fly you to work).

I would really get dissapointed if I don't see any update this July

I would be very surprised if there is an update this July.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.