Should I change my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I bought a rMBP but I'm regretting it for some things. Mainly two:

1) The Retina screen is gorgeous, but all the non retina stuff looks blurry and my 720p videos, too. I just need to play them at full res, not scaled.

2) The UI lags like crap. I wanted a notebook to last 2-3 years. This one, although costed me 2000€, lags while doing nothing!!!

Should I get something else? Is the cMBP screen so horrible for the glossy and so heavier?

Is a downgrade to the 13" possible (I'd love portability)?

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Get your money back and get an ipad4 it seems you dont need a powerfull computer

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

If you buy a non-retina MBP with the option of Hi-Res, Antiglare, display you will be very happy. I have both and highly endorse the regular model.

4. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

@ the OP...

I take it you have a 15inch retina...

It's not like the cMBP is a bad machine at all, the positive to buying that machine is that you can tinker with it and upgrade the ram, storage, etc. However it's a little hefty and is not as portable as the retina series. But the screen is not horrible by any means, it's just not, well..Not as crisp as the retina!

If it's any consolation,,, I have the 13in retina and love it...

5. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I just think everything is too small on the high res display. It could be helpful while using adobe CS6 but crappy during the normal usage.

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

No, the cMBP is not horrible. It's about 1 pound heavier.

Don't buy into this "not as portable" stuff. If a pound difference makes something not as portable where it becomes a problem in your everyday usage, I think you have other issues to worry about.

Look into getting an iMac if you want screen real estate.

Also, how bad does the UI lag on your rMBP? Try resetting the SMC.

At the very worst, take your machine back to Apple (it sounds like you just bought it), explain your problem, and ask for a replacement.

7. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

The Anti Retina sith has spoken ladies and gentleman.

So your saying the cMBP isn't noticeably bulkier and heavier then the Retina machines? Like enough to notice on an every day basis?

Yea just like the screens aren't to different...hahahaha!

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The OP may or may not notice it, but saying "isn't as portable" is going a bit too far.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I think OP was referring to the 1440x900 glossy on the cMBP, which I think we can all agree isn't the best. The 1680x1050 anti-glare on the other hand is a pretty nice display.

EDIT: oops, OP shot that option down.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I dunno. With my retina I could hold a latte in my other hand, with the non-retina the weight is so much I have to put my latte down. That's huge!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you are not satisfied with your computer, get one that suits your needs.

In this case you are not liking the rMBP, so return it and get the old one.

12. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

You're not happy with your product, of course you should change it...!

duh

13. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Yes but I don't know if I'd be happier or not with the old one... It's a hard choice, because it is a lot of money! Apple notebooks cost a lot. An Asus with same retina specs but better audio costs 1.000$ less...

14. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Well I guess if holding a Latte is more important to you... :p

A cMBP will be cheaper than your rMBP.

15. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Although both the Asus and cMBP are cheaper, they both are lacking in certain areas, good in others. Asus: bad trackpad, bad keyboard, bad customer service, good screen but not as good as the rMBP. cMBP: heavy, and the screen is very lacking.

OP, it seems you are suffering from early adoption. Imagine in a few years: 1600p that will look awesome on retina! As for lag, softwre updates should fix.

In conclusion, the rMBP is a great machine, but early in its lifespan. Whether you will trudge on or jump ship is completely up to you.

16. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Now now...

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Of course I meant relative to the other two.

18. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I don't really know what to do. If Apple released that Mac OS 10.8.3 I could check out the performance...

19. urkel, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

urkel macrumors 68030

Im really not sure what to think about this whole rMBP vs cMBP thing. I owned both a 15" rMBP and cMBP but decided to keep the rMBP. But I'm realizing that in the real world, the cMBP may still be the better machine for most users. As a rMBP owner and photographer then I have this ultra thin notebook with an amazing screen, but if I ever want to travel with it I have to tether an external drive to it which means I have to be at a desk. Thats not progress.

But when I had the 15" cMBP then it was slightly heavier but I was able to install an SSD, swap out the optical for an HDD and combine them both to be a 1TB Fusion Drive.

I like the rMBP 15 but I feel that its a bit ahead of its time because it has the power of a desktop but the storage/memory limitations of an ultrabook. Once storage capacity and pricing get more reasonable then I'd recommend it but until then its hard to justify its long term value.

20. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Thanks a lot for your replies. I'm confused about the Asus, too. It is really good and costs 1.000, not 2.000.

21. B... macrumors 68000

B...

But you sacrafice screen (compared to retina), trackpad, keyboard, customer service, OSX, and build quality.

22. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Did someone say Asus? lol, I had a Zenbook for work and hated it!

My Zenbook was roughly $1,100, the intro model is I believe around $700

Never mind the windows aspect, lets just look at hardware.

*The screen while nice, wasn't as nice as my rMBP

*The Speakers were horrid, both mine and partners sounded terrible, mine actually had a blown speaker out of the box

*I hated the keyboard and the trackpad, mostly the trackpad because It mostly had a mind of it's own

*And most of all the battery was terrible, my rMBP gets much better battery life as a whole.

Now were talking about an $1,100 machine here and the fact that I loose out on the qualities I mentioned above, as well as not being in the Mac eco system, which I really love.

Sorry the only thing made by Asus that I would recommend to someone would be the nexus 7, you want a well made lap top, with great hardware and software as well as being backed up by a really good company? Buy Apple!

23. B... macrumors 68000

B...

+1. See my post above.

24. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I must say that Asus (N56VZ) is really good. The speakers (with subwoofer) seem to be the best audio experience ever on a notebook.

It has the same hardware of the Retina 15 (even if the Nvidia graphics has 3x memory) and costs 1.000 less.

25. B..., Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

Except the screen. But it sounds like you like the Asus. Go for it! If you have to make a thread asking if you should keep a laptop, you probably will not be happy with it if you keep it.