Should i get ivy bridge or sandy bridge processor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbook pro i5, Apr 30, 2012.

1. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I have read that ivy bridge runs cooler and is built on a 22nm process,Also the HD 4000 that is built in will be allowed to use more v-RAM other then that it is not much better no?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Current specs?

What specific updates are you looking for?

Main usage of computer?

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It depends on a handful of different things.
    List the following:
    Your specs.
    What you use your computer for.
    The exact processors you are looking at.
    Their prices.
    What exactly it is that you want it for.

4. macbook pro i5, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Currently my desktop has a 3GHZ pentium 4 1Gb of RAM and 80GB of HDD:D every part is gonna get upgraded the only thing im concerned about is which processor I should get for it,it is mainly gonna be for battle field 3 skyrim,Virutial machines and internet and word.Also the processor is the 2500K quad core i5 or the ivy bridge 3570k both desk top processors should not exceed 400 dollars

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Is there a reason to not go with the 3570k over the 2500k? I can't think of one. It's only a $25 difference.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Are you going to overclock? If not go for the 3550. Also, that will mean you need to get a compatible motherboard.

If you are overclocking, then I'd actually recommend the 2500K, from what I hear it overclocks at much more manageable temperatures. Either one will be fine for the things you listed.

7. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Yes I'm going o over clock it abit,I was thinking a water cooled over clocked 2500k but if the ivy bridge is gonna provide better performance in the long run I *may* consider it.
    Edit:How the hell is the 32nm 2500k gonna provide better temperatures then the 3550k which is on a 22nm process? I'm sorry that just doesn't make sense to me:confused:

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ok, I'd go for the 3570K then and just be careful not to overclock too much. Good luck.

I don't know the science behind it, but it seems to make more heat. Google it, I'm sure there are benchmarks somewhere.

9. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Thanks!:) you have been quite helpful in my decision:)

10. phas3 macrumors 65816

Depends on what you will be using the CPU for:

Overclocking: Sandy Bridge, runs cooler and can attain higher overclocks because it runs cooler. You will need a compatible motherboard.

Gaming: Get 2500k and invest the rest of the money on a better graphics card.

Video Editing and the like: Ivy Bridge 3770k or Sandy Bridge 2600k with a good graphics card.

IMO I would go with SB 2600k and OC it, you'll save some money. Ivy Bridge is basicly a side grade not an upgrade.

Ivy Bridge runs hotter than Sandy Bridge because of the 22mm node and the different interface material used between the die and the heat spreader.

----------

btw what's your budget? I can help you make a wishlist if you'd like.

11. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Great just when I was about to get the ivy-bridge,yes gaming is a big deal and gonna need it for virtual machines so I should get the 2500k over the 3550k?

12. phas3, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012

phas3 macrumors 65816

That's what I would do and not worry about heat. Get yourself a 2500k and an Asus baord or Gigabyte (I prefer Asus) atleast 8gb of ram and a GTX 680 if you can afford it, if not a GTX 580.

My 2500k reached 5.0ghz no problem under water and 4.8ghz on air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can't find my 24 hour stress test using Prime 95 for the 5.0ghz OC.

I'm obsessed with getting higher than 5.0ghz unfortunately I sold my rig and thinking of building a new one. But my schedule has no time for messing around with a pc so le sigh....

note: I know someone is going to say "eww colored dye blahblahblah..." I am well aware of what dye can do to waterblocks IF not taken care of.

13. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Oh My God!!! That is one beast! I actually am about to get a water cooling system but I'm concerned about leaks how dangerous/common are they and can you point me towards a reliable water cooling system?

14. phas3 macrumors 65816

Leaks are not common as long as you get the right parts and install the parts correctly.

I would recommend EK they had some issues last year but they are now sorted out, something with their nickel plated waterblocks and the quality control of one of their plants.

I would not skimp out on watercooling parts, good companies are EK, Bitspower, XSPC, Thermochill are some companies I can think of right now.

For fittings, I would recommend Bitspower compression fittings, one thing that you can do to make sure that if there are ever any leaks is to get a flow meter. It measures the flow of the water so that if there is any type of decrease in flow the computer will automatically shut down.

If you give me a budget or a price that you are looking to stay under on watercooling I can create you a list of parts.

15. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Can you get one in the 100-200 range?

16. Boilerhead, May 1, 2012

Boilerhead macrumors newbie

Since it's a desktop, there really is not much of a benefit for going ivy bridge. You won't use the HD400 Graphics if you're going to play BF3, and the power savings with ivy bridge over sandy bridge won't be noticeable on a desktop. However, since the prices are pretty close, why not get the newer tech?

Also, if you don't plan on overclocking, you can get the i5 2500 for $210 on newegg, before a $15 promo code available until 5/2, which is $55 cheaper than the 3570.

17. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

The speed diff will not be significant, but the battery life probably will be. Won't quite matter on a desktop, tho.

One other thing, which is that current OS is always tuned to the current chips, and once your chips get a couple of years old, newer iterations of the OS do not work quite as well due to the mismatch. If history is any guide, you will get two major up revs beyond Lion before up revs start to have drawbacks due to your now-older hardware, so getting Ivy Bridge now instead of SB will future your Mac for another year or so down the road. Three major up revs is sort of asking for trouble, but getting the newest chip technology will mitigate that somewhat.

So, if you need to future your Mac beyond 3 years (assuming you will not be satisfied with what will be an older OS at that point), get IB. If its a laptop, get IB. If SB costs less and it is a desktop that you expect to replace in 3 years, get SB. But if the diff is only $25, get IB.

18. phas3 macrumors 65816

To be completely honest that will be tough, what are you planning to cool is it just the cpu?

OR you could just go with a WC kit, the XSPC RASA kit is under 200 and the EK kits are under 300.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/coliki.html

but if you want complete customization you will have to spend a bit more. My CPU + RAM + GPU loop cost a little over 1k and all parts were brand new as well as expensive but good quality.

19. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Not mac,Windows PC

----------

How bout 400 I only have a 1000 budget:(

20. phas3 macrumors 65816

1000 budget for the whole build? Are there any parts from your current pc that you will be putting in the build?

Before we try and get some WC lets make a list of pc parts first.

- CPU
    - MOBO
    - RAM
    - HDD
    - Graphics Card
    - Power Supply
    - Case
    - OS

is that all you need?

21. rocknblogger, May 1, 2012

rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

If that's your budget I would recommend holding off on the liquid cooling. I just did a rebuild and spent around $2000 without liquid cooling. Instead I went with the Corsair H100 for the time being. A poor mans liquid CPU cooler.

I went with a 2700K and at the moment got it running at 4.5GHz. Under Prime95 it never got hotter than about 55c. So I know I still have plenty of room to go. I'm sure I'll be able to run it at 5GHz.

I then plan to save up some money and get a top end liquid cooling system.

And definitely go with an ASUS board.

EDIT: Here's what it looks like.

Attached Files:

22. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Didn't he say he's running a Pentium? I doubt there's a single part he can reuse. Maybe the DVD drive.

23. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Yes,You are correct only the dvd drive,The parts in it are ridiculously old

24. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

And then he would have to either buy a controller a a MOBO that has an IDE controller on board. I think ASRock Extreme4 GEN3 has one but I wouldn't recommend the board.

I actually have it right now but I'm going to get an ASUS Friday.

Originally I went with an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 but got 2 in a row that had defective memory rails. But I'm going to order the ASUS Z77 Deluxe this time ;)

25. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

CPU:Intel i5 2500k
    RAM:16GB Corsair vengeance
    HDD:64GB boot up SSD(Intel) plus 4 512GB HDD 7200 in RAID 0
    Graphics card:two Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 in cross fire
    Case:Cooler master HAF XM
    Power supply:??
    MOBO:??