iPhone XS Max Should I get last year's iPhone XS Max or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psymps, Jan 19, 2019.

?

Wait?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. psymps macrumors member

psymps

I currently have a OnePlus 3T but I want to get an iPhone (preferably the Max) so I can use all the features of my AirPods and integrate better with my MacBook Pro.

I'm at the point now where I'm having to re-pair my AirPods with my phone on a regular basis because occasionally they don't connect properly (outputs volume at a really low level, even when my bluetooth volume is maxed out)

The issue is that if I wait, i'll have to suffer several more months of these connectivity issues. I really like my AirPods, so getting a different pair of earphones isn't an option. The other thing is that i've heard rumors that this year's iPhones will have a smaller notch and possibly the return of the battery percentage indicator?

Would be grateful to hear your thoughts/opinions

EDIT: I'm not considering the older 7/8 plus models

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t forsee the 2019 Max being that much different, aside from the triple Lens camera rumored. I don’t think a smaller notch would influence my purchasing decision either, being the notch is a non-issue anyways. But my thoughts are, why wait? Why not take advantage of the 2018 Max, especially being you would have to wait just under nine months for the new one, given your connectivity issues.

3. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Considering it’s 8 months out, I probably wouldn’t wait, especially if I were having issues with something that would be corrected by getting the new phone.

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Think might be worth waiting now personally but if you need a new phone go for it.

5. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

Lmao, "Last year's iPhone Xs Max". Sounds like the Xs Max is a really old phone.

Don't wait and get it. It's not even 4 months since the release.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Hmm, on top of that, a surely-will-happen price hike on 2019 model, with no discount of previous generation whatsoever.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

It’s only January so the XS Max is still only a few months old. It’s the current iPhone so I see no reason to wait 9-10 months extra when you could be taking advantage of the features now. They will likely discontinue it like last years X as this years new iPhone will likely be very similar any way. We already know performance difference is minimal year on year so the significant difference will mostly likely be an even more excellent camera lol.

8. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

It's only January. The XS and XS Max are hardly antiquated. They've only been out three months, for goodness sake.

Plus...you've held onto a OnePlus 3T all this time. Compared to your 3T, it'll be like you're carrying a pocket sized MacBook. :)

Don't fret so much. We all have to jump at some point, and you've already proved that you don't necessarily have to jump at every opportunity.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Get it now. That’s 8 months you could be using it before a new one comes out.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

If it was like March I’d say wait but it’s only January and you’re having issues with your current phone. Go get the 2018 MAX.

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

The 2020 model is rumoured to be the next more major improvement, possibly with 5G etc. So if you wait, I would wait for that. lol

Personally I would get the XS Max now, and stick with it until the 2020 model. Its only a few months old!

12. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502

jimmy_uk

Go for it. I personally think S year upgrades are best as they iron out the kinks and add a few extras.

13. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

Buy it if you need it, I don´t understand the confusion or indecision.

14. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

I love my XS Max. Though I did wish I kinda got the XR. But however, can't complain about how good the XS Max is. This year's version probably won't have too many bells and whistles. The OnePlus 3T probably ran its course and you could get the XS Max on some deals here and there. I would get one and enjoy the hell out of it for as long as possible.

15. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

There will always be something newer, and XS Max is only 3 months into the cycle. Pretty much ideal time to buy it as most early bugs have been ironed out. It will also hold value well if you want to sell it when the new one comes out.

Using such an old phone it's a no brainer, really. Buy it.

16. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I waited until May 2018 to buy my X and have no regrets other then battery life. Probably just going to upgrade to the XS if they won’t fix my battery on warranty befor it expires

17. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Get it now. Everyone will be clamoring for new phones in 2020 or 2021 when 5G comes to iPhone.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean last years. Do you buy cars on cusp on new model year only too…?