Should I get the Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by natlinxz, Mar 3, 2010.

1. natlinxz macrumors newbie

I'll admit it: I'm an apple fanboy. I'll buy just about anything, regardless of price, if it's made by apple. But I'm having a hard time getting myself to buy a "Magic Mouse". I have the Mighty Mouse with the trackball, and I got crumbs and random food particles stuck in the trackball, so now it doesn't scroll. I need a new mouse, BADLY. But I won't go out and buy a $10 HP mouse because... well, I'm an apple fanboy. But I tried the Magic Mouse at a local store, and can't get into it. The lack of the side buttons for activating exposé is my main concern.

So, is the magic mouse worth it, or should I stick with the Mighty Mouse?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Magic Mouse is awesome
    And there is 3rd party software you can add that will increase functionality
    BetterTouchTool
    MagicPrefs

3. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I love my magic mouse, expecially since it came with my i5!

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I LOVE my magic mouse!

That being said I hated it for the first hour I had it, then I warmed to it, now I love it.

+1 for Better Touch Tool. Its awesome. I wish Apple included this functionality by default.

I use three finger swipe for expose. it works great.

5. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Since using the Magic Mouse with Better Touch tool I can't stand using any other mouse. I works so fluid with the BTT gestures that every other mouse feels so awkward. You can see in the BTT setup screen some of the gestures you can set up.

6. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

You probably won't just eat what we say about how awsome it is after the horrible mighty mouse experience, so better go to the apple store and play with it, I love how it works, the scrolling is amazing!

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 on the scrolling. I'll sit here and flick it for fun lol.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

LOL that's completely insane. I wouldn't be able to remember all those gestures. Mine is *much* simpler - only got a few gestures - three-finger swipes for switching between spaces, two-finger swipe for expose, tip-tap for switching between tabs in Safari.

Nah, we (at MacRumors) hated the Mighty Mouse too.

And the Magic Mouse ain't no Mighty Mouse. It is awesome! Especially with BetterTouchTool!

9. evarian macrumors member

Terrible experience with the mighty mouse. magic mouse, 100X better

10. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

I like the magic mouse

it passes the family 2yr old, 8 yr old & 11yr olds' test. they all like it.

my 3 months with Mighty Mouse is a perfect relationship - just need a new set of AA batteries after around 40 days. I might next time try NiMH rechargeable, currently using Duracell, it shipped with singapore Energizer alkaline. My home has many BT devices, PS3 & mobile phones, so that might hamper the sleep time. 40 days seems OK to me.

11. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

how many hours do you use it a day in average?
    In the worst case turn off the mouse everytime you don't use it and see if it helps, not very healthy to live with so much Bluetooth tho...

12. isianto macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    first of all English is not my first language, so please bear with me. I don't mean to discredit the mouse. I just want to ask your opinion because you're using it.
    well, I went to an apple store in my country to try out the mouse, and I almost bought it, until it connect to the imac, the pointer seems slow, and not fluent. I don't know whether it's something wrong with the imac, or the battery of the mouse is low. Is it like that? and it seems it's slow at first connect. And second I want to ask, if you use for a long time, is it still comfy?
    Thanks

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

14. Igantius macrumors 65816

I would go back to the Store and give it another go…. and then another!

I feel peripherals like mice are a very personal choice – despite what some of the posters on this thread have said, there more than a few people in the MR community that liked the Mighty Mouse… I’m not a fan, but if it works for them, it works for them. When one considers how often we all use a mouse, personally I go with my own instinct.

With the mouse speed, some people have reported similar problems – thord-party software has helped this.

However, it could be that the tracking speed in system preferences is set done low.

As to your questions about it being comfortable after using it for a long time, people that do or don’t find it is, may use the mouse differently to you so it’s something I think you would have to find out for yourself!

15. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    haven't got one yet, but I do have the software updates installed on my BMB, so it's an event waiting to happen:D

16. lambobob macrumors newbie

lambobob

The magic mouse is multitouch so if you download magic prefs it will have a bajillion commands.

17. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The day they ship a corded version is when I'll get one.

18. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

A corded version? why would apple do that? and why would you want that?

not trying to be rude just curious on your thoughts:)

19. Jamo12 macrumors regular

Jamo12

Lol I don't have a magic mouse (I can't bring myself up to spend $60+ on a mouse) but I do have the trackpad for BetterTouchTool and have 40 separate gestures... (63 including repeats for different applications) And they are surprisingly easy to remember. Just sure you make them what's the word? Appley? No I'm looking for intuitive!

Edit: I love the Magic Mouse, and couldn't live without BTT.

20. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Every wireless mouse I've ever tried lags. It's not an accurate realtime 1:1 translation of movement. Most people probably don't notice it, but it drives me insane. I had hoped that Apple would overcome this issue, but when I went into the Apple store to try it out I would have thrown it across the room if it weren't secured with a cable. Plus I don't want to bother with batteries. What they should do is make it wireless but have a mini USB cable port at the top to plug in to recharge or simply connect with a cable rather than use wirelessly. And to keep it clean looking they could use the shuffle interface USB cable.

21. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I love my Magic Mouse but it is a PIG on batteries...

22. seb-opp macrumors 6502

tried it out on my parents new iMac, its awesome. A million times better than my mighty mouse. Only thing I miss is the magic mouse hasn't got click-able sides, which I used to invoke exposé on the mighty mouse

23. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

the 3rd party apps for the magic mouse are awesome, flickr through to spaces using the mouse is so cool!

24. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Agree. This is the best mouse for scrolling up and down, left and right. Tracks well. I have reset my expose to use the fn key on my mbp and all is good.