Should I give up my iPhone 4 for an Infuse 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by britneyfan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 now that I like, I'm just tired of it and the OS. I want something more customizable. I have an upgrade every year, and I'm not sure if I should wait for the iPhone 5... I mean, I can always switch back to the iPhone when iOS 5 comes out. I'm just not completely sure. I want a bigger screen though, and a better screen.
    The one thing I'm scared of is that, in the year that I have the android, I won't get good service or updates for the device because so many android devices come out. There's only two iPhones. Is this a stupid worry, or not and do you think it will get gingerbread and other updates?

Thanks.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you think you like it better then why not.. it's your phone! ;) if your looking for custom stuff though you might check out jailbreaking if you haven't already. I can do tons of things via customizing. but again it's your phone.

3. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Since this is an Apple heavy forum, you should expect to see biased answers.

My response, flip a coin, you will be glad with he result at the end.

4. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

about a month ago i just sell mi iphone to try the gs2 in two days switched back to the iphone lol

5. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I don't see any problems trying something new. If you end it up liking it better, then you made the right choice. If you don't like, you said yourself... that you can always switch back. You will never know unless you try.;)

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Get one and play with it for 29 days.
    You have 30 days to try it out or return it.

Samsung is not known for their timely updates, so don't expect much in that area.

7. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

I'd probably save the upgrade for the next iPhone or a better dual core Android phone. You can buy the Infuse on Craigslist for $350-400 and resell it in the future if you get something else. I'm sure it will eventually get Gingerbread but it could take several months. Not like Gingerbread is that much better than froyo. I'd go mess around with one at an AT&T store and see if you like it.

8. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So it's not a good upgrade because of no dual core? The comparison tests between the ip4 seemed pretty speedy depspite not having dual core. What's the difference?

And thanks guys

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yes... Gingerbread IS that much better than Froyo.
    Native SIP stack (VoIP baby), true dual core support for apps, improved security (that alone is worth it), and the list goes on.
    Froyo is a turd by comparison.

I have 2.3.4 on my Atrix and it simply destroys 2.2.2 in every way.
    Battery life (another pain point for many Android phones) is greatly improved as well.

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Since you were looking to purchase the Infuse thought I would tell you that you can upgrade from Target (until July 23rd) for a mere $50 (no tax when purchased online) :)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...use-4g-available-for-50-at-target-july-17-23/

Target doesnt have an option to keep unlimited data (although you might be able to order and call Att customer service before activating the Infuse to keep it) but I thought you might like to know about the deal nonetheless since you'd pay $250 at the ATT store for it ;)

11. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Wait either way, do not buy an Infuse. Either wait for SGS2 AT&T version which in the latest Samsung firmware suggests that it will have LTE, or for the iPhone 5. I like my SGS2 a lot, but anything lesser I would have to pass on. Android wise anyway.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The 4G will kill your battery, I'd stick with the iPhone and jailbreak if you're dying for customization.

13. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Wait for the SGS2 which should be available next month. Dual-core and 1GB RAM. Better specs than the iPad2!

14. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

If want more customization, just Jailbreak your iPhone 4. Last year, I thought the grass was greener on the other side (and I was getting a little bored of iOS too), so I bought a Droid X and used it for 9 months. The first couple of months were awesome because it was new and I was titillated. But once that wore off, I longed for my iPhone again.

I'm now running iOS 5 beta on my iPhone 4 and the other thing that would even tempt me away from iOS now is 4G LTE. But since I know that will probably come next year, I will be content with either the iPhone 4 or the iPhone 5 this fall until that happens.

But yeah, you're best bet is to try one for the 30 days and see how you like it. Just make sure you don't decide right away... give it nearly the entire 30 days to make sure you're not just excited about something new and different.

IMO, iOS is still significantly better in user experience, and iOS 5 is going a long way to make up for lack of features. And who knows what Apple has in store for the new iPhone this fall.... rumors have run the gamut of just a minor "4S" upgrade to a fully new designed iPhone 5. The smart thing would be to wait since it's likely only a couple of months until we find out for sure!

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

Wait for Samsung Galaxy S2 or Nokia windows phone. The Infuse 4G is too big and slower than SG2. The 4G might be fake 4G too.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

So far all the 4G phones are using fake 4G.

From Wikipedia:

17. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

No point fighting it anymore. Battery life is fine as it can be(Not Apple) HSPA+ or not.

18. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I have moved to two different Android phones and have always ended up back at the iPhone. The Captivate and the Infuse. I liked both phones, but the iPhone was just more familiar and did things that the Android phones didn't. I loved the screen size of the Captivate, while the Infuse seemed too big to me. Honestly, screen size is the only thing I miss.

19. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I've had two androids and after about 6 months they both started getting really buggy - random freezes, crashes, battery life going to nill. Took them to Verizon and their solution is a factory reset, loosing all your apps. They will say that it's your fault because of an app you installed. This wouldn't be an issue on an iPhone because you are backed up through itunes but on android there is no back up system. Then they want you to go a week with no apps to make sure its the hardware!! Apple store doesn't make you go through this, just replaces the phone with a smile. I wish Android was not a great when working, awful when you have issues but that was my experience.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It seems like you know what you want, right?
    I would look into a Galaxy S II, but if you can't, the Infuse is probably the next best thing.

21. aneftp macrumors 601

Agreed. Atrix is a beast. One of fastest android phones. If Atrix could have super amoled plus screen with qhd screen it would be perfect. Best battery life of any android phone on the market. Obviously Atrix has biggest battery so that would make sense. Atrix has a couple of quirks. But I can live with it (inability to disable hepatic buttons comes to mine unless u root phone and install an app).

But to the OP, Samsung has a horrible track record with Android updates. Took them 7 months to released 2.2 on the USA versions of the Galaxy S Phones. They screwed over Samsung Behold 2 owners by not updating the system software.

Simple ridiculous to ship Infuse with 2.2 with May 2011 release date. That's 12 mo the after 2.2 has been out and more than 6 months after gingerbread code has been released. Samsung shipped the S2 with 2.3.3. I don't know why they put 2.2 on the infused when the infused was shipped later than the S2.

22. Bwa macrumors 6502

I travel a lot and spend a lot of time on the phone. Just having the iPhone and AT&T wasn't good enough, so I bought a Sprint Samsung Epic Android. Frankly, I don't see why anyone uses Android vs iPhone other than needing different carriers--it's crap. Granted, I dint have the latest Android release, but I suspect it still misses the mark.

But the phone part works well. The web browser and general navigation, the email client, the crap ware... It's pretty bad stuff. Oh yes, and battery life is extremely bad. I was going to get a Verizon Droid but several coworkers with them warned about horrific battery life as well.

My 2c.

23. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Sheesh! Get the Infuse if that's what you want. It's just a phone.

24. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I keep asking myself, do I wait for the iPhone 5 or do I go with the Infuse?

Infuse is beautiful. I think I'd have a great time with it for a bit. But same as the Thunderbolt, the polish just isn't there with Android. Hardware is terrific and has everything you want from a phone. A person who has never used iOS and only used Android would probably LOVE it. I can see how. But there are so many very small things that iOS gets right that Android doesn't. And iOS 5 just improves on it (calendar improvements, notifications, reminders, etc etc etc).

Sad as it is to say, I'm an iOS 'lifer' for the foreseeable future.

25. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

The infuse is a nice phone. But if you are willing to import a Bell Galaxy S 2 from Canada it is also a very nice phone.

I don't know after selling the GS2 i find I am slowly starting to miss it lol. Anyways, I might buy an infuse being cheaper or the GS2 if it gets cheaper. Saving money for a macbook instead of the newer iphone 5 :) Already got enough iphones in the house haha.