Should I go for the Verizon Android?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by canes960, Nov 11, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

I am thinking about getting the Verizon Android 2.0.

I want to get an Iphone, but I can not because I'm only 15 so I can not switch to AT&T. I have a job online and can do some of my work on the Android.

Should I go for it or not? Can you help me for with some reasons why to get it or not to.

Thanks

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to agree with you, I was playing with it today in the Verizon store and it was nice and very fast.

4. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I went and looked at one as well(I'm in about the same situation as well), and I think you should look at the other droid(eris?) as well, both look like good phones. Its just that the eris has a much better screen(don't know if you care about that or not lol).

5. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

I wasnt aware a 15 Year Old can sign a contract....

6. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

I work for my dad's friend, or do you mean phone contract. The contract is under my mother.

I want the physical qwerty keyboard. The Eris is only touch screen.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

So you're after the Moto Droid?

Seems awesome. I really want one as well, but it's not available here yet. :(

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

My husband has an HTC Magic (Android) and I think it's brilliant! I was a bit skeptical about android at first but I'm sold. I'll even go so far as to say I prefer it to the iPhone. </blasphemy>

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

::SHOCKING::

i've seen the magic and it's ok... iphone still better imo...

if you can't get the iphone like you say, then your decisoin is made isn't it?

besides, android 2.0 does look very nice! now if only the handsets were sleep too :)

10. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW; thats big.
    I really think I am sold on it.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The screen on the Android blows away the iPhone IMO--but its harder to get music and video playing on the Android. If that doesn't matter I'd say go for it.

12. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

One of my friends is real smart about transferring music and movies. I asked him about it and he said he thought he could help. If he can't it does not really matter though. I think I'm going to go with it. I'll come back and tell you guys what I think about it

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

14. buffalo macrumors 65816

Last month I switched to AT&T to get the iPhone. Though the iPhone is nice, I found it hard to justify $70 a month, when I could be on my family share plan on Verizon. I got the Droid a couple days ago and I am very impressed. So far I have no problem with the keyboard. I have never owned a phone with a keyboard, so I have nothing to compare to, but I am typing as fast or faster as I did on the iPhone/touch.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I agree. I love Android. Picked up a Droid just for the hell of it, and am now selling my iPhone.

OP, if you want an android phone go for it. Make sure you check out both the Eris and the Droid, and keep in mind that 2.0 is coming to the Eris in the future.

Good luck.

16. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Call Quality?

Would those of you who have an Android phone please comment on call quality? That is the most important aspect of a phone to me ...

Thanks! :D

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I wanted to try the Android (although I'm happy with my iPhone) but the stores here don't have a working model on display. :(

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If it suits your needs, then I'd say yes. Take other factors into consideration, like wireless strength in your areas and such.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My Droid's call quality is excellent, and I have never seen a phone with such a good external speaker (for spreakerphone calls).

20. Frisco macrumors 68020

I got the original iPhone the day it was released--waited 4 hours in line. Upgraded to 3G and then 3GS.

Just canceled my contract with At&T (yes I know big penalty). Just purchased the Android and have to admit it is far superior to the iPhone. It was a decision I don't regret.

It is simply amazing. iPhone is okay and would be better with Verizon. Apple going exclusive with At&T will in time be viewed as one of the worst business decisions ever. But at least Jobs is feeling better these days.

21. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Not even possibly true. People often fail to realize Apple wouldn't have the sales/global-reach it has now if it had gone exclusive with Verizon (non GSM) for the same term. Moreover, the phone would be completely different. We can't reconstruct the past from one decision, but its very arguable that Verizon has only become more open to compete with the iPhone (remember that CDMA carriers are more "closed" than GSM carriers by their nature). Were it to have had the iPhone from the start (and miraculously given in to the same demands Cingular was desperate to give in to... read: not likely), today's market would simply not be the same. Remember, stagnation had begun to set-in, and Verizon's smartphone selection has historically been very, very narrow (for a reason).

Would the iPhone do even BETTER on Verizon, were they to support CDMA next year? Of course. Verizon would get a huge benefit, and Apple would expand even further.

That said, I think the Android is great, and has a bright future (though frought with potential problems). I'm surprised any iPhone user could, with a straight-face, view the entire Android experience and say its better though. Other than the marvelous turn-by-turn GPS implementation Google plans to offer to Apple and its other partners... there is a long list of "preferred" issues where Android fails miserably (whether its removing apps, installing content/videos, backups, iTunes integration, app management, overall UI, and phone-wide app & content search).

It's interesting, because SO much about Android is right... but then you run into "break-downs" where... if you've used an iPhone... you have to consciously ignore significant issues / oversights, its a disappointment. Ironically, many people get irate at the iPhone for being "so close" and then not doing a few extra things they'd like. I think the Android phones (including the Droid) will begin to encounter these observations as more of a slow realization.

~ CB

22. thecheda macrumors 6502

Droid

Software wise, any Android based phone > Iphone

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Don't be surprised just because you passionately defend your preference for iPhone.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I really like the Hero on Sprint and the Eris on Verizon. I think Android has a promising future.

25. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The hardware on the Droid is fantastic--and Android has come along way since 1.0. The Droid's hardware+software combo is the first I've seen to make me think even consider getting rid of my E90 Communicator. The day they put Android in a Communicator form-factor will be a good one indeed ;)