iPad Should I return iPad 4 for mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by insimbi, Nov 2, 2012.

1. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Received my new iPad 4 this morning - it's still in the brown FedEx box - haven't opened it yet. I stopped by the Apple Store at lunch to look at both the 4 and minis. I really like the form factor of the mini, it's just the non-retina screen that kinda bugs me.
    What's your opinion - would you return the 4 for a mini, or keep the 4 and enjoy the retina display?

2. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

No. Unless you are ok with a much slower iPad and a pixelated screen. The iPad 4 screams and retina display is as amazing as ever.

3. OSMac macrumors 65816

I'd keep the 4, fast and beautiful screen.
    In the end its the screen that matters most on a tablet.

You can always add a mini later, when they sell refurbs or update to retina.

4. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

Cool - I think you hit the nail on the head ... "In the end its the screen that matters most on a tablet." True dat! :cool:

5. dthree36 macrumors regular

So much is being made of the mini's screen that is just crazy.... Pixilated? geez... you would think this think was running 640x800 or something. Look.. if its screen you care about don't even consider the mini. You already know what it lacks. I for one... think the screen is fine and clear enough for everyday use.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Not to everyone. A tablet is made for portability. Who would want to carry a 13" tablet?

If portability is necessary, the mini is really nice. I had the iPad 3 and love the mini. Very easy to carry and use.

7. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

You're the only one who can answer that question.

Now, if you really can't decide and if you have the money to spare in the bank, then go buy a mini, keep both for a while and see for yourself which one you like the most. Then just return the other. Shouldn't take more than a few days.

8. nStyle macrumors 65816

Someone on a forum can't answer which one makes more sense for you. Only you can....

9. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

I understand. I'm just looking for opinions - which I appreciate so far. :)

10. OSMac macrumors 65816

Agreed , nothing bigger than 10" tablets for me too.

Mini is fine, its just would not be my choice if I had to keep only one.
    If it was retina then I'd keep it over the big one.

Maybe one day.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's subjective, which is more important to you?

12. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

Well, I'd say the screen is more important to me right now. Maybe one day we'll get a retina mini. Until then, I'll keep my 4 I think.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If that's the case then the regular iPad is better for you. The mini isn't for everyone.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Enjoy your fantastic screen.

15. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

The screen is bad. Anyone who says anything else is kidding themselves. A tablet is one thing-a screen. Th iPad mini screen sucks to out it bluntly.

16. Hakone macrumors 6502a

My eyes are spoiled with Retina displays so it's hard to 'revert back'.

My iPad 2 is mainly used nowadays by my toddler and if I want to watch Netflix content on a tabletop.

To each his/her own but I like Retina.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sure but the portability of the device is excellent. That's enough for me to compromise. The screen isn't awful but isn't as good as the retina display.

18. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Saying the screen is bad is total BS, I am sorry but its not like they released some 1990 CRT monitor that you hold in two hands and look at from a foot away. I will take a great looking screen that doesn't lag like hell over a retina device that has screen issues, can you say Retina Macbook Pro??

I have the Nexus 7 and the mini and the screen on the mini is just fine. Oh I have also had an iphone 4s, and have used retina iPads.

19. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

The screen is at best equal to the original iPhone that was released in 2007. It's bad and that is probably an understatement.

20. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Lol righttt.... cause we know that resolution is the only thing that matters in screens these days........ :rolleyes:

21. bigboar macrumors 6502

That's a question only you can answer op but I gotta say I am really enjoying using my mini at my sons basketball practice right now! I am using my Verizon wifi hotspot on my iPhone 5. People keep ripping on the screen and I can't figure out how I can see the text plain as day without zooming in. I guess mine isn't as low of quality as Some of them.:D

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well, I can tell you what I did...

I own an iPad 3. My intention was to sell it and get the 4. I didn't really want a mini until I held in it my hand and then it charmed the money out of my wallet.

BUT I'm still keeping my iPad 3. Hate the weight, esp. now, but love the screen. I'll use it for long term reading and use the mini to jot down notes, surf while in bed and other things were the screen isn't that important.

IF I had to choose between my iPad 3 and mini, iPad 3 wins hands down just because of the screen.

23. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Of course it isn't. But the resolution is bad. Pixels are easily noticeable. Otherwise the screen is ok but still a step down from the iPad 4. If you want to settle for $329 then be my guest. Im just telling it like it is.

You might be able to live with the screen but in 2012 the screen is bad.

24. sectime macrumors 6502a

I'm just telling it as I choose to see it
    fixed that for ya:cool:

25. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Yeah i can live with my 7.9 inch screen that has nice res and great colors, did you enjoy having a tiny, way under what other companies had for screen size on the iphone for what 5 years? I know i didn't and sold my 4s for a bigger screen with lower res but go read some reviews on the 900 and see that res is not everything no matter what year it is. It i a bigger screen but lower res and looks great, I have had people with iphones even say how bright and nice my screen looks.