Should I sell my macbook pro for an HP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kim6ball, Nov 6, 2009.

1. kim6ball macrumors member

2. August West macrumors member

Go for it!

Make sure and come back after you've had a chance to live with it for a while and give us your impressions.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you need the money, feel free. The MacBook Pro however is a much more powerful laptop.

4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

THANKS FOR THAT LINK!!! one of my friends has been looking for a cheap laptop and thats perfect!!!!! as for you, dont sell it unless you have to

5. kim6ball thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's only tomorrow starting at 8AM and each store only has 10. I live in a rural area; not as many people go to the Walmart I go to. I like my mac, but that is such a good deal.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well, $4.95 for a 50lb bag of manure might be a screaming deal, but if you don't need it ... it'll be just a bag full of **** stinking up the place.

Just because it is a deal doesn't mean you need to buy it, sort of have to wait until the glazed eyes pass.

Likely if there are deals like this now, more will appear as Dec 24th approaches.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

If you don't mind using Windows over OS X, go for it! IMO i would keep the mbp

8. stevemiller macrumors 68000

what confuses me is if a $300 laptop suits your needs, why did you get a macbook pro in the first place? and i don't mean that as an insult, i'm just curious as it seems like there's a large leap involved in going from a typical mac buyer mentality to an extreme bargain hunter. (i know some people enjoy both, but sounds like you're completely replacing one with the other)

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Wow. A disposable laptop. I knew their day would come. :D

Seriously, Celeron CPU aside... those specs are unheard of for $300. Too bad it will fall apart after 6 months.

10. Av1o3 macrumors member

Unless you have like a first gen macbook, i dont think its worth it. I didnt even know they still made Intel Celeron laptops

11. dlhuss macrumors member

yes sell it. you won't even know the difference between the hp and the mac.

12. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

They dont its just leftovers from years ago. I wonder if it really has Windows Me on it and you have to migrate to 7. ;)

13. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

They make all the money off that "Entertainment Laptop" selling blank Lightscribe optical media :D

14. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Seriously!?!?!? :confused:

You're telling me that the difference between a Core 2 Duo and a SINGLE CORE Celeron isn't noticeable. And you can't say that the difference between a 1440x900 and a 1366x768 display isn't noticeable, let alone the differences between Windows and OS X!!!

I really hope you were being sarcastic.

OP keep your MacBook Pro...I don't know how old it is, but I am sure it will last longer than that HP!!!

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Too many people here saying it will be a mistake. I have a 3 year old HP laptop that has not given me any problems in all that time. HP makes some of the most dependable laptops these days and they are tough. I dropped mine once and there was absolutely no damage on it. Try dropping a MBP and see what happens to it. Better yet, read all the threads on MacRumors of all the dropped MBPs.

The one I have is a faster processor than what my MBP has and the HP came with 4GB ram and a 320GB HD and it's a core 2 duo. It also has an Nvidia video card. I've upgraded it to Vista and it's been running bug free for a year on that.

If and when my HP breaks, I'm getting another one. I still like my MBP too!

16. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I work at Wally World and had no idea...

17. keitherson macrumors member

Are you kidding me? That Celeron is 2.2 GHz dual core, not single core, and you obviously don't know your Intel processors.

300 dollars for that computer is an absolute steal. 300 dollars wouldn't even give you an Apple iPod Touch.

Apple is a luxury brand, not a value brand, and some of the arguments in this thread are ridiculous.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It really didn't do a good job of specifying whether it was single or dual core, or maybe I've drank too much of the cupertino kool-aid over the years. But it looks like a pretty sweet deal.

19. keitherson macrumors member

It's the Penryn-3M: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...2Penryn-3M.22_.28standard-voltage.2C_45_nm.29

The description was "Intel Celeron Processor 900
    Provides 2.2GHz speed, an 800MB frontside bus, and 1MB L2 cache"

Which doesn't specify if it's 64 bit or not, but this can easily be figured out with a google search

20. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Have you had reasonably experience with a laptop of that level? It's a big stepdown and whilst you may not need the power of your current MBP, you may need more than what that HP gives you.

21. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Ha I waited in line for an hour this morning hoping to get one of those $99 Xbox 360s and saw they had a whole pallet of those HPs there too. :p

I coulnd't see how someone could go from a MBP to that, the specs seems decent though for a $300. Sell your MBP and buy 4 of these, that way you will still have the same power.

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You actually might want to take a look at Intel's website. The Celeron 900 is a single core processor. You obviously don't know your Intel processors ;)

23. macgirl89 macrumors member

I got an HP Pavilion as a high school graduation present in 2007. It was my first laptop and only lasted one year until it broke. They have poor ventilation and get really hot within minutes. The battery life is atrocious. Last night I actually turned on the HP in order to compare it to my MBP (I had it repaired twice with new motherboards), and... it really sucks. The display is nowhere near as good. I don't like that there isn't a wide range of brightness to change, like on the MBP. I turned it on when it had 100% battery life and after ten minutes I checked again and it was at 51%. Then after about a minute it just shut off. Maybe it needs a new battery, but even in the beginning the battery lasted 1 1/2 hours max. I will concur, though, that the HP has one advantage over the MBP, and that is that it's sturdy. I have never dropped it, but you don't have to be so anal about carrying it around because it'll handle it. The MBP, unfortunately, is so delicate that you have to be EXTRA careful. That's the only thing I don't like about it...

Anyway, though, if you buy this, it would still be a serious downgrade. I would at least make sure that this HP doesn't have that failed nVidia chip in it. (It's the chip that makes the laptop die after a year; HP will put in a new chip if you are under warranty, but the same thing will keep happening because they replace it with another failed chip.) If you want a cheaper laptop, but still a good brand, I'd go with a Sony or a Lenovo.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

200 gets you an iTouch.

25. boston44 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's a good deal but is a downgrade to a MBP. Only buy it if you truly want to save, because although HP is not a horrible brand, it can't compare to Dell and Apple IMO.