iPhone X Should I skip AppleCare+ for my iPhone X? Am using the Apple leather case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That's fairly different for different people for different reasons. Hard for anyone to say what would be better for you, although going by other threads/posts it certainly seems like there's some inclination that could be surmised from it all.

3. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

I think you should get Applecare+ and also any additional insurance your carrier may offer along with a Lifeproof case. You can never be too careful. Also, have a backup phone you can switch your SIM into whenever you leave the house. Wouldn't want anything bad to happen to your X.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

But am using a case. The Apple leather one. Got it on sale. It’s nice.

Drop protection wise it should be enough to save the phone???

I mean I’m not dropping it from 10 feet

5. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

It depends. In the US for example I'd say Your choice, your funeral; if there's any hardware issues on the 366th day that would require a repair then that's on your dime.

If you're in Europe for example and your locale has better consumer protections then you might be better off not buying it.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I wasn’t even thinking about hardware issues tbh.

Usually these phones are ok?

More like incidental coverage is my concern.

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I think you've been around long enough to know that there's quite a bit more nuance to things of that nature just some sort of idea of only specific drops from low height (and even among those the results can still differ, even with a case).

8. Elwots macrumors regular

Elwots

Nobody plans on dropping their phone, so you can’t really say how it would happen if you did. It can break with or without a case - just a little better chances of it not breaking with a case. Personally, I have AppleCare and don’t use cases. The highest deductible is $99 if something happens, which is less than many people spend on cases.

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

What? It should protect good right?

I mean even without a case it’s not like it’s guaranteed to break if dropped I’ve seen YouTube.

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

I had mine in the case but left it near a space heater and ended up needing a replacement with AC+. Unfortunately, the case didn't protect it.

11. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

Since AppleCare+ started covering accidental damage, I'd say its a given on any iOS device purchase or Apple Watch. AppleCare for Macs is a different story. I recommend for laptops, but not always for desktops. Desktops I don't because you don't really move them once they are setup.

12. TiggrToo, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

There's no guarantee that any case will protect a device from the wrong sort of incident. I've seen folk drop an unprotected nekkid iPhone onto concrete without so much a scratch, others have dropped one in a case on gravel and ended up with a claim.

Roll the dice - your choice.

13. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

OP, you recently posted that you are selling your 8 and had questions about coverage since you dropped your phone *twice*.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-iphone-with-applecare.2116805/#post-26019171

And you just started a thread stating you left your iPhone 10 --by a space heater--.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/left-my-iphone-x-in-front-of-the-space-heater-is-it-ok.2116967/

Are you seriously asking if you should get AC+ for your new $1000 phone that you already just left by a space heater?! Really?! Some people, lol.

Yes you should get AC+ based on your recent post history with your iPhone 8 and now 10.

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

But like I said I have a case now so shouldn’t that be good enough?

The Apple leather one. Got it at Best Buy. Black color.

Like I’m not gonna drop it from 10 feet.

I’m thinking at worst waist height or chest height bc I don’t even talk on the phone pretty much never.

The back glass should be protected enough? And the front is not as protected bc no screen protector but what are the chances it’ll fall face down and then even what minimal the case does it will still shatter??

15. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure that the Apple leather case really protects the phone except for scratches on the back and sides. Bottom is completely exposed. That case is form over function. I really don't think it'll prevent dents even if you only drop the phone from waist height onto a hard surface. I'm not sure what would happen if you drop the phone and despite the leather case, a corner hits the floor just right and causes the screen to shatter for some reason?

I don't think it's worth the risk personally, I'd buy AC+. I baby all of my phones and have never had any damage issues, and I still got AC+ for my new iPhone 8. Never know.

16. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

I dont and i use Apple leather, $299 here, i have house contents insurance which is better, i live 6 hours from Apple store. Insurance just emails me a voucher for full amount to use at local apple re seller electrical store.

17. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The leather case is more for looks rather than protection.

You want a dual-layer case that protects the corners. Soft rubber layer on the inside and hard shell on the outside. Similar to Otterbox designs. They have a raised lip on the front to minimize damage even if you drop on the display side.

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

Life can throw the occasional curve ball. I would get it for peace of mind, really. It's a small price to pay should your phone suffer a serious fault.

19. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

As was mentioned above, the Apple Leather case is a low to medium level of protection for your phone. The Silicone is maybe a little better, but still puts the emphasis on fashion rather than function.

I currently use an Apple silicone case with a glass screen protector because I love the slim profile of the case. However, I have AppleCare knowing that one face down drop would *probably* crack the screen.

So my advice is either buy a better case or AppleCare...or both.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you purchased a case, use your phone as you normally would and I would not overly worried as much as you do. I think you’re being overly concerned otherwise. But there is no guarantee that the phone will _Not_ break even with the case. Its variable.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you are still trying to convince yourself.

22. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

And what are you going to do if you drop it the wrong way and it does break? Do you have $550 to shell out for a replacement when you can pay $99 to get a replacement? It’s a no brainer.

23. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Simple reasoning:

Let us assume your current Apple iPhone X is destroyed tomorrow. Good forbid.

Can you afford to go buy a new iPhone X immediately, full upfront payment and no monthly payments? Without punching you much or at all. And consider the original payment a write off.

If yes, then you can afford to skip AC+ perhaps. Otherwise there is no question. Don’t buy iPhone X if you don’t want to buy AC+ for a phone that pinches you so hard.

24. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

NO... Just no.... Unless you got it like that then go for it.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am pretty sure the OP had made up his mind, even before posting this thread.