Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
So I've been looking to get an iPad 1 as a collectible and for just internet, but is it still worth getting? I want to get a Wi-Fi only 64GB, lady owned and lady used, as I know that all men except me like to use them on the toilet and "read." What are pros and cons of iPad 1? I'm OK with iOS 5 and besides, I already have iOS 7 on my 4S. And my friend told me that iOS 5 has an ad-free YouTube app and built in Google Maps.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
id say the cons would be: old, heavy, "slow", and you can't upgrade software
pros would be: cheap, collectable and, you can't upgrade software,depending on how you feel about that issue.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm still happily using my first-generation iPad, and it's only a 16gb. So, for the moment, I'd say go for it, so long as you're not paying a "collectible" price for it.

Downside for me? No camera, no FaceTime, and no iPhoto (why can't I edit my iPhone shots on a bigger screen, huh??). But I, too, have an iPhone, so those aren't major handicaps. Smaller annoyance is that Shared Photo Streams is not available. Increasingly strong risk that newer apps won't run (I wouldn't mind having the latest versions of Pages and Numbers, but I'm getting by without them).

So I've been looking to get an iPad 1 as a collectible and for just internet, but is it still worth getting? I want to get a Wi-Fi only 64GB, lady owned and lady used, as I know that all men except me like to use them on the toilet and "read." What are pros and cons of iPad 1? I'm OK with iOS 5 and besides, I already have iOS 7 on my 4S. And my friend told me that iOS 5 has an ad-free YouTube app and built in Google Maps.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
My iPad 1 is still in service for me. With a fresh reinstall of iOS 5, it actually runs pretty well. It is quite slow to load web pages and certain apps, though. Because of iOS 5, it is in some ways faster than the Air at unlocking, app switching, and other navigation related tasks. :D

The low resolution screen is particularly brutal if you're used to retina/high PPI displays.

As for a collector item, to each their own. I don't see these becoming near extinct enough to be valuable anytime soon, but perhaps one day.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I can't see buying a tablet for some perceived collectibility. I mean, yeah, maybe a hundred years from now or something the iPad will be some sought after relic. But, probably not.

As for usability, it will work and some tasks fine but is ultimately well past its sell by date.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I mostly use my iPad for browsing, and I purposely got rid of my iPad 1 because browsers kept crashing due to low ram. Quite happy with my iPad 2 though, which has twice the ram. I recommend and iPad 2 due to that experience.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
I'd say no, don't buy it. Its used so even if they have a collectable appeal later on, used ones will demand less of a return.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Most basic apps require ios6 these days.

So unless you plan on strictly web browsing And email and built in apps. Stay away from iPad 1.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The original iPad seems like a nice device for people with limited resources. If you are one of those, then by all means. However, if you can afford the iPad 2 go for that one. The original's iPad measly 256MB is not enough for much.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
So the iPad 1 has the same specs as iPod Touch 4 (besides the higher cloc speed) so it may crash. Not a problem for me, is it good for newsstand, magazines? I'm tired of going to WalMart every day just for a copy of Mac|Life. And they have interactive versions for the iPad too, so I can see this as a use for the iPad 1 alhough interactive version may need iOS7. I'm trying to trade an iPod Nano 6 (mint condition hardly used) for one right now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally would look to a newer iPad, the first generation is more limited, big, and heavy (for an iPad).

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I want to get a Wi-Fi only 64GB, lady owned and lady used, as I know that all men except me like to use them on the toilet and "read."

Its "lady owned" and "lady used" but is it certified as such? Lots of iPads on ebay that the sellers say are lady owned/used and then you find out after the sale that some man owned it. It's terrible, terrible. . . :D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So the iPad 1 has the same specs as iPod Touch 4 (besides the higher cloc speed) so it may crash. Not a problem for me, is it good for newsstand, magazines? I'm tired of going to WalMart every day just for a copy of Mac|Life. And they have interactive versions for the iPad too, so I can see this as a use for the iPad 1 alhough interactive version may need iOS7. I'm trying to trade an iPod Nano 6 (mint condition hardly used) for one right now.

I think it's a mistake to get the iPad 1. What sort of price are you being offered to make you consider it over an iPad 2? There was a pretty big jump, internally, between those two iPads.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It's not collectible.

It's not worth getting.

Besides, have you ever seen the inside of a ladies' bathroom? You'll wish it was owned by a man who used it on the porcelain throne while dropping the kids off at the pool.;)

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I will try to verify if lady used and owned, I know usually OLDER ladies which I want to look to buy from don't bring electronic devices into the throne, and if it was used by a man, I can check for "signs of reading".

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
are you really going to look for turds on a used iPad? lol.

But seriously, the iPad 1 is a complete waste of money at this point.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Consider battery life too. Unless it is really cheap <$100 I wouldn't do it.

I've had every iPad except the 4, and I think the 2 was the best upgrade from the model it replaced but you can find deals on the 2, 3, and ipad 4. Lots of choices better than the 1.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I will try to verify if lady used and owned, I know usually OLDER ladies which I want to look to buy from don't bring electronic devices into the throne, and if it was used by a man, I can check for "signs of reading".

I think you are sorely mistaken if you think only men take their iPads to the throne room.

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
United States
You won't be apple to download anything on the AppStore, so I personally would not buy it for that simple reason. Not to mention no more updates for it.

But, if you have a way to find use for it, than I'd say go for it!

FYI - my iPad 1 is in my retired collection of devices, which is a group I don't use due to them being unsupported and such, but if under the circumstances, they still are capable of working.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Don't do it...

I had an iPad 1 up until early 2012 , it was very slow as in crawling (with websites).

The only thing I bet it is still good at now is reading documents like PDF and kindle books. Try to find a good deal with an iPad 2 because I hear they are still good. The iPad 1 had 256 RAM , that is just as much as RAM my 2002 iMac had, to put things into perspective that is before Gmail, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and 1 year ago people were still playing Nintendo 64. That is how low 256 RAM is

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I still use my iPad 1 to watch movies from iTunes. Really awesome I think.

I would like to upgrade someday but now things are just fine. Also Netflix runs very well on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.