Should I take the replacement mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XTRanger, Jul 7, 2009.

1. XTRanger macrumors member

I own a classic SR mbp, 2.4GHz, with 256MB 8600GT video card. The display is Matte.

The display went bad on the machine, and it had already been in repairs on three different times.

This time Apple said they will replace the machine with a new 15-inch: 2.53GHz MBP (lowest end). My first problem with the machine is that it has glossy display which I cannot stand. But if that was the only issue, I'd prolly let it slide.

My other concern is that the video card (9400m) might not be as good as the 8600GT that I currently have. The girl on the phone (apple care) told me that this is a better video card than the 8600GT, but i think i've read somewhere that its not really true.

So can anyone plz tell me if this is a reasonable replacement? Or should i ask for the next higher one?

Although I truly hope there was an option of matte screen :(

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean you can always ask... Why they don't have the older ones sitting in refurb stock seems odd to me?

3. cababah macrumors 68000

4. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

yeah I told them I would gladly take the exact same machine that I have now (SR MBP June 2007) if they could give me... the girl on the phone said they don't have any.

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

ask for the higher one. if they refuse, ask for software to make up for the lack of graphics card. if they refuse again, ask to have a paid upgrade. i think for like $300, they move you up to the next level.

6. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I'd say that's unreasonable. If they're replacing your MBP with the most current version of your model, you should get one with a dedicated GPU in it. You paid for a dedicated GPU. The MBP with only a 9400m is basically the 13" with a bigger screen. That's not what you paid for originally.

The rep saying the 9400m is better than the 8600 doesn't know up from down. For one thing, the 9400 shares system memory.

7. Tweak3D macrumors regular

I had the same issue. you need to tell them that your machine has dedicated graphics and the one they are replacing is a downgrade. also your processor has more l2 cache than the replacement. Technically the 2.8 is the only suitable replacement but you want the 2.66 with the dedicated graphics card. They will not downgrade you and if you point it out that your card is a dedicated card and that was the whole reason you went with the pro to begin with they will replace it as so. no problems =).

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The girl on the phone lied. At the keynote in October where the 9400M was introduced, a chart showed the 9400M compared to the 8600M GT. The 9400M was only half as powerful. Pics to prove it:

pic one
    pic two

Of course, there is one benefit, there have been no wide-spread 9400M failures.

Tell her you're not happy with the lack of matte and the video card isn't as powerful.

9. cababah macrumors 68000

I think the 2.53 15" is the weakest model in the line-up.

10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

not. the 2.26 GHz 13" is.

11. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yea, the girl was lying. The 2.66 or 2.8 GHz 15 inchers are the ones for you, although you may have to pay a little for the 2.8. As for the screen, I'm sure you can get a matte screen protector somewhere (I dunno where but I've heard of them). Hope this helps, and good luck!;)

12. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

They really suck though...not a replacement for an actual matte screen.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry, but in terms of warranty replacement, the customer can't be choosy. It doesn't matter if the OP's MBP had a dedicated GPU, it's nearly 3 years old. A warranty replacement is just that, a warranty replacement and it doesn't matter if he's not crazy about the glossy screen and 9400M GPU, Apple is obligated under warranty to repair or replace his machine but they don't have to match spec for spec. The OP is getting a better machine regardless which way he looks at it. The cheapest 15" supports 8GB of DDR3 ram and his 2007 MBP doesn't, plus the new one has a 1.07Ghz system bus with a 7 hour battery. The 8600GT has been having massive problems, he should consider himself lucky that Apple is not replacing his MBP with the same machine. Either way you look at it, it's an upgrade.
    If he wants better then the OP needs to ask Apple if he can pay extra for an upgrade.

14. cababah macrumors 68000

I meant the term "weakest" to mean the least appeal not in pure hardware specs.

The 2.26 GHz 13" is very affordable and portable. The 15" without a dedicated GPU really makes me see it as kind of a gray area between portability/performance and not really satisfying either requirement. Just my opinion, that's all. I know everyone sees it differently.

15. MidiMonk macrumors regular

If you use the expresscard, be aware you will lose that as an option now.Apple really screwed the 15" user hard there.

16. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

But he ISN'T getting a better machine, that's the point. The 9400m is slower than the 8600GT and uses system memory. I'd call that a downgrade. He's asked it to be replaced by the exact same machine but they don't have any more stock. To have it be replaced by a machine with worse performance would be a pretty ridiculous insult, especially a machine costing that much money and that he's had to send in for warrenty repair several times, wasting his time and money. If anything, they should be giving him an upgrade.

17. Tweak3D macrumors regular

apples policy is that they will not downgrade you at all. If you point out what I told him to point out you will get the upgrade no problem and for free. my 2.4 was replaced with a brand new 2.8. If ANYTHING is downgraded you can tell them and point it out. they will look into it and you will get the system that meets at minimum your previous specs.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Although I wouldn't go so far as calling it a ridiculous insult, after reading your post and the poster following yours I agree that the OP should at least get the $1999 MBP as an even swap and it shouldn't be a problem for Apple to agree to that.

19. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Yes, that was a little OTT. ;)

Yeah, I hope they come around to an agreement such as that.

20. macjay macrumors 6502

If you must have a matte screen, you could pay an additional amount and get the 17".

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...hmm, 3 yr old tech being replaced for what apple considers current tech today... I'd be happy and get the new unit = you don't like it, then sell it and pay more for what you want...

22. Pegasus665 macrumors member

Pegasus665

Here is a useful chart with all the current mobile GPU's out there. But one should note that the dedicated GPU's in Mac's are usually underpowered as to run cooler and draw less power than their Windows installed counterparts.

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

well, you lose fw 400, express slot, matte, plus if you have a hard case or other goodies your out that much too. If it were me id ask to pay to upgrade. Get something sweet.

24. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Oh, I see.

25. Pivzavod macrumors member

People have reported about the same recently, so if you are polite but firm, :apple: will agree to send you a 'real' MBP with dedicated graphics. After you got to this point, ask to make an upgrade to 17 inch matte and pay the price difference.