iPad Should I Use iOS 8 On iPad 2

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Woundering if I can update without slowing things way down. I know continuity won't work with my Mac. Are there any advantages?

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Security updates
Conformity
I need to replace it this year with the IPad Air 2 so I can take advantage of continuity with my Mac and phone but without some feed back from some IPad 2 members that have downloaded it and are not having any problems, I am reluctant.

Ipadilac

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2013
Minnesota
Well, I updated my iPad2 to IOS8. Its now making me want to buy a new iPad. it works, but sure is slower than it was with IOS7. :(

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
The iOS 8 reviewer on Anandtech.com said he sold his rMini because iOS 7 was too slow on iPads (but fine on iPhone 5S). I can't imagine that iOS 8 will speed things up on an iPad 2. I'd skip it unless you wanted the sharing features, or the smilie face on the keypad.... :rolleyes:

Dc2006ster

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Cons:
Safari crashes. This is my 3rd attempt to post this.
Slower
Screen stuttering in zoom effect between home screen and apps.

Pros:
Use of gestures in Mail to delete emails.
Extensions in Safari. Really like the 1Password extension.

So far I am slightly more pleased than irritated.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
The iOS 8 reviewer on Anandtech.com said he sold his rMini because iOS 7 was too slow on iPads (but fine on iPhone 5S). I can't imagine that iOS 8 will speed things up on an iPad 2. I'd skip it unless you wanted the sharing features, or the smilie face on the keypad.... :rolleyes:
Skiping. It won't handoff to the Mac anyways.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Woundering if I can update without slowing things way down. I know continuity won't work with my Mac. Are there any advantages?
Here is the way it works. You buy an iOS device. You never ever update it unless you're having a specific issue that will be fixed by an update.

If you want iOS 8, get a new iPad when it comes out.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
That's the plan.
Think that your iOS device will never be better than the way it came out of the box. So keep it like that as long as possible.

People ask me why not just buy an iPad now.

Because I want iOS 8. I'm not updating an iPad. No way. When iOS 10 comes out I'll get a new iPad, or maybe not. Keep it until it dies with iOS 8.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Think that your iOS device will never be better than the way it came out of the box. So keep it like that as long as possible.

People ask me why not just buy an iPad now.

Because I want iOS 8. I'm not updating an iPad. No way. When iOS 10 comes out I'll get a new iPad, or maybe not. Keep it until it dies with iOS 8.
My wife uses it the most but I would like to enable handoff to and from my Mac.

I'll wait for the holiday sales and then trade mine in.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
My wife uses it the most but I would like to enable handoff to and from my Mac.

I'll wait for the holiday sales and then trade mine in.
The iPad air 2 will have the perfect thinness. That's most important in a tablet. IOS 8 will work with the new internals.

Then don't touch it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
My iPad 2 remains on iOS 6, and it will stay there until it dies. iOS 8 sounds like it isn't close to worth the headaches, especially since handoff, the most important feature, isn't enabled.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
My iPad 2 remains on iOS 6, and it will stay there until it dies. iOS 8 sounds like it isn't close to worth the headaches, especially since handoff, the most important feature, isn't enabled.
Ditto.
Handoff isn't enabled so if I had an iPad 2 I'd stick with iOS 7.1 or even iOS 6.
One of my iPad 2 is still running iOS 6 and is really faster than the other one running 7.1

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Well, I updated my iPad2 to IOS8. Its now making me want to buy a new iPad. it works, but sure is slower than it was with IOS7. :(
And I thought it was only me who had the issue after update :eek:. Thanks for the confirmation

usmaak

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2012
I have an iPad 2 that I updated last night. It seems ok, but slightly more laggy. Usual tab reload on safari, etc. There are a number of apps like Facebook that take a long time to load, but I am not sure how much is with apps that are not optimized for iOS 8. It is usable, but I am seeing slowdowns.

I have an iPad 3 that I have never updated. It has the yellow left side issue and I don't really use it any longer because staring at the yellow patches bugs the hell out of me. Having a white keyboard would make it even more noticeable.

I will say one thing about my iPad 2. I have been using it for about five hourssince charging, an it is at 74 percent. So it has not affected battery life at all.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I wouldn't. The ipad 2 is ancient. That goes for the first mini too, which is the same machine internally. Even though officially it supports it, I would say ipad 3 is the min sys and the iPhone 5 for ios 8. Stick with ios 7. It's a very good os.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.