Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buy iPhone 6s Plus or wait for iPhone 7 Plus

• BUY iPhone 6s Plus

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • WAIT for iPhone 7 Plus

Votes: 39 52.7%

• Total voters

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
(A repost from another thread)

Always bet on the "s" years

iPhone 3Gs - The first hardware spec bump with double the RAM and first to finally offer video recording that neither the first two gens ever had by default.

iPhone 4s - First dual core with 7x faster GPU and better antennas to remedy Antennagate. The 4s and iPad 2 has now been updated longer than the 4. Thanks, A5.

iPhone 5s - First to have the Touch ID, 64-bit processor, and the space gray helped remedied the Scruffgate issue from the slate iPhone 5 from the year before. The first to introduce a gold option too.

iPhone 6s/6s Plus - First to get Force Touch, but most importantly, the A9 chip with an extra gig of RAM was a massive update internally as seen with the benchmark scores destroying every Android last year like the Note 5 which had 4 GB of RAM!

-
Android

HTC One M8 - Brought back the micro-sd slot, 25% louder, wasn't plagued by purple photos like the M7, didn't heat up as much, and its longer battery life coming from the best and most battery efficient SoC that Qualcomm ever produced for flagships - Snapdragon 801. The 800/801 was a massive upgrade than the battery hungry 600. M9 never matched its efficiency with the problematic 810 and ditching the UltraPixel cam didn't exactly skyrocket HTC to the top of the camera department either.

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - Brought back two of the three omitted with the S6 like micro-sd slot up to 200 GB (you can buy one for $90 at Best Buy). Water-resistant with no annoying flaps that the S5 and older Xperia Z devices had. Samsung still making it more comfortable to hold and with better color options. This is what the S6 edge/edge+ should have been!

Take your chances on phones that were upgraded internally instead of externally. They can last longer because they are correcting the problems of its identical twin predecessor. The fresher new design tends to offer more problems which may need fixing over time. Even if Samsung decides to bring foldable displays next year, they could still have issues without the extra year needed for refinement. Like beautiful women. Just because they might be gorgeous on the outside doesn't mean you can always depend on every single of them. Inside counts more in the longer run.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
(A repost from another thread)

Always bet on the "s" years

iPhone 3Gs - The first hardware spec bump with double the RAM and first to finally offer video recording that neither the first two gens ever had by default.

iPhone 4s - First dual core with 7x faster GPU and better antennas to remedy Antennagate. The 4s and iPad 2 has now been updated longer than the 4. Thanks, A5.

iPhone 5s - First to have the Touch ID, 64-bit processor, and the space gray helped remedied the Scruffgate issue from the slate iPhone 5 from the year before. The first to introduce a gold option too.

iPhone 6s/6s Plus - First to get Force Touch, but most importantly, the A9 chip with an extra gig of RAM was a massive update internally as seen with the benchmark scores destroying every Android last year like the Note 5 which had 4 GB of RAM!

-
Android

HTC One M8 - Brought back the micro-sd slot, 25% louder, wasn't plagued by purple photos like the M7, didn't heat up as much, and its longer battery life coming from the best and most battery efficient SoC that Qualcomm ever produced for flagships - Snapdragon 801. The 800/801 was a massive upgrade than the battery hungry 600. M9 never matched its efficiency with the problematic 810 and ditching the UltraPixel cam didn't exactly skyrocket HTC to the top of the camera department either.

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - Brought back two of the three omitted with the S6 like micro-sd slot up to 200 GB (you can buy one for $90 at Best Buy). Water-resistant with no annoying flaps that the S5 and older Xperia Z devices had. Samsung still making it more comfortable to hold and with better color options. This is what the S6 edge/edge+ should have been!

Take your chances on phones that were upgraded internally instead of externally. They can last longer because they are correcting the problems of its identical twin predecessor. The fresher new design tends to offer more problems which may need fixing over time. Even if Samsung decides to bring foldable displays next year, they could still have issues without the extra year needed for refinement. Like beautiful women. Just because they might be gorgeous on the outside doesn't mean you can always depend on every single of them. Inside counts more in the longer run.
You make a good point, I don't disagree with it at all. However, I know some people prefer the "regular" iPhones because their design looks current for a longer period of time.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I've honestly never understood these "should I wait" things... Idk if you should wait TBH you only know your situation ...

However, we are on March 16 which makes the iPhone 6s Plus 5 months and 21 days since its release which means we're almost halfway through its release cycle... 6 months and 9 days is a long time to wait if your phone is on its last leg... Also just because you upgrade now won't make the 6s Plus obsolete in 6 months. This phone will still be a great phone come this September and then next as well...

The 6s and 6s Plus was one of the best iPhone upgrades that Alple has ever released...
[doublepost=1458176893][/doublepost]
You make a good point, I don't disagree with it at all. However, I know some people prefer the "regular" iPhones because their design looks current for a longer period of time.

Hey though if the leaks of the 7 are correct then the 6/6s design will look current for an even longer time, because IMO the antenna band that needs removed is the one that runs around the top and bottom of the device not the run that runs across the device ... Of course just my opinion

Reactions: yui4 and BeeGood

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I've honestly never understood these "should I wait" things... Idk if you should wait TBH you only know your situation ...

However, we are on March 16 which makes the iPhone 6s Plus 5 months and 21 days since its release which means we're almost halfway through its release cycle... 6 months and 9 days is a long time to wait if your phone is on its last leg... Also just because you upgrade now won't make the 6s Plus obsolete in 6 months. This phone will still be a great phone come this September and then next as well...

The 6s and 6s Plus was one of the best iPhone upgrades that Alple has ever released...
[doublepost=1458176893][/doublepost]

Hey though if the leaks of the 7 are correct then the 6/6s design will look current for an even longer time, because IMO the antenna band that needs removed is the one that runs around the top and bottom of the device not the run that runs across the device ... Of course just my opinion
Very good point. For now, it's looking like the iPhone 7 will not change much from the iPhone 6. That is really good for those who don't want to upgrade.

Shamgar

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
There's always something newer and fancier coming. Buy when you need (or can internally rationalize) an upgrade. The exception being immediately before an Apple PR event where the relevant product line might be included.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
The fact that the vote is split almost down the middle is a good indication that this is totally a personal preference question, but here's my stab at it:

Get the 6s+. You're unhappy with your current phone and let's be honest, it's approaching 4 years old so it's not like you've cared about having the latest and greatest at any given time.

The 6s+ will be a great phone for a long time. I don't see any reason to wait 6 months for the next iPhone, which comes with plenty of unknowns right now.
[doublepost=1458217447][/doublepost]
Definitely wait for the 7. Those that said don't wait wouldn't take their own advice if they were in your shoe.

If I had a 3.5 year old phone that wasn't meeting my needs, I would most definitely get the best one I could get today, as opposed to sitting around for 6 months waiting for an unannounced phone that may or may not be a better option for me.

Reactions: canuckRus and yui4

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Why wait?

The S version is always the best of that particular phone model. All the kinks are ironed out. Mistakes made with the 6 have been rectified.

So now you have a solid phone that works as it should.

You wait for the 7 you play the guinie pig. If there's any 'gates' (yes I hate that term too but I couldn't think of a better way to put it) to happen they'll happen to the 7 and be ironed out with the 7s.

IMHO it's always worth staying with an S model.

Fair enough if we were a few weeks away from the 7 release but we're not. We're 6/7 months off. That's a long time to use a phone on its last legs.

Buy the 6s+ enjoy your new phone and if when the 7 is released you just HAVE to have it sell the 6s for a small loss and get the 7.
Excellent post!

I might add one minor, or not so minor point for consideration. Over the last six years I've tracked iPhone resale prices very closely. Both public and via trade in sites like Gazelle and others.

Since Steve Jobs death, used iPhone values are getting soft, declining predictably with no sign of abating. Make no mistake, they're not collapsing, but they are fading noticeably.

iPhone demand is in decline with no sign of coming back. Turn out the lights this party is drawing to a close.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Excellent post!

I might add one minor, or not so minor point for consideration. Over the last six years I've tracked iPhone resale prices very closely. Both public and via trade in sites like Gazelle and others.

Since Steve Jobs death, used iPhone values are getting soft, declining predictably with no sign of abating. Make no mistake, they're not collapsing, but they are fading noticeably.

iPhone demand is in decline with no sign of coming back. Turn out the lights this party is drawing to a close.
Your posts always make me laugh. I appreciate your obvious and sarcastic/ironic wit regarding Steve Job's death and Apple's downfall. You sound just like the Henny Penny Apple doomsdayer's. You've got them down pat. Props.

You really know how to open up a guy's giggle box.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Your posts always make me laugh. I appreciate your obvious and sarcastic/ironic wit regarding Steve Job's death and Apple's downfall. You sound just like the Henny Penny Apple doomsdayer's. You've got them down pat. Props.

You really know how to open up a guy's giggle box.
I feel very confident that Apple's cash reserves will keep the business alive for decades without serious consequences. It's simply morphing into a mainstream seller of consumer electronics.

Reactions: I7guy

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You are exactly at the half way point. The iPhone 7 will be released in about 6 months. If you like the 4" size, the SE will be announced Monday.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I would just get the 6s if I was using a 4s now. 7 won't be that much of a game changer, based on the rumors so far. The design leaks all look very similar to current 6 series just slightly reinforced. However that being said, if you care about camera you might wanna try and wait a little more because rumors so far suggest a huge improvement being made to the iPhone camera.

These are all just rumors but lately rumors seem to be pretty accurate. I wouldn't take them at face value but with multiple rumors suggesting the same thing I think we can safely assume something of similar thing is going to happen, like the camera improvement and the design.

Short answer: get 6s now unless you want to wait for better camera in 7

EDIT: I made this post for someone else who was considering an upgrade from a 4s and apparently the mods decided that thread shouldn't exist and my post got moved to here? This guy has a 5 and wants to get a 7 PLUS or 6s PLUS, completely different question from what I was answering for! My post looks out of place now. Just to clarify to anyone who reads this and thinks that.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
If one waited for what's new out around the corner then one wouldn't make a purchase at all. ;)

I'll be waiting and watching to see if the new iPhone 7 Plus brings something new to the table for me.

If not then I've a decision to make on what to move onto from the current iPhone 6 Plus I'm currently using.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Depends do you always feel like you need the latest and greatest? If not then go for it, if so then wait. I'm the type if I bought the 6s now I would want the 7 when it came out. Sounds like since you have a 4s having the latest and greatest isn't your thing so you should be fine with the 6s. Me I would be in a padded room by now.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Just wait and buy the latest, even if it's similar to the 6s it'll be a generation faster/better making it much more future-proof (something you might like, considering you're still using the 4S). I still use a 4S regularly, and it runs OK with iOS 9. So I'd just wait out those 6 months.

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
I went from a 4S to a 6S and it is an amazing leap. You know when the 7 is coming out (almost definely know, anyway!) and it'll be great to be one of the first with the new design. It might be water proof too!

I vote 7!

But the headphone jack! And do you want to be the a guinea pig with the new design?? :confused: Waffle gate! (That's where the phone overheats and cooks your waffles.)

I vote 6S!

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
i was in the same boat, I got a new battery for my 5, and now happily waiting for the 7.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
This is why I'm on Apple's upgrade program. I just get a new phone every year. It's what I used to do before the carriers got rid of their upgrade yearly plans.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If we were only two months closer to September, I might have said iPhone 7 Plus. But only six months with lesser chances of getting defects from the first batch of iPhone shipments, cheaper deals, and more refinements with the software, I think you could live being six months late.

But seeing the renders of the iPhones this year, the iPhone 7 design does NOT impress at all. In fact, the best looking iPhone being released in 2016 seems to be the iPhone 5se. Apple went back three years ago to the best design they made in the decade and made it rounder using the same A9 as the 6s/6s Plus. If you can live with "4, get 5se and wait for 7s Plus next year. Pick refine over define. And the 5se seems to be the ultimate refinement of 5s with most of the interior of the 6s.

I actually like the 5se but already got used to "4.7-"5 during the last three years that my typing speed will suffer. But it looks to be the best compact phone since the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
It's up to you ... The iPhone 7 is 6 months away, not exactly tomorrow.
I would buy an iPhone 6S Plus only with a discount from the official price.
I bought the iPhone 6S in January, as usual, with a 150€ discount. I'm usually replacing my iPhone once a year (December-january).
[doublepost=1458139836][/doublepost]
That's a totally debatable statement.
Every single iPhone I owned, including the last iPhone 6S, was way better than the model it replaced.
So the iPhone 7 will be better than iPhone 6S.

Apple is "obsessed" to make better products. Money comes from better products that people will buy.
Agree. Have had an iPhone ever since the 3GS. Every year the phonesystem have been better. This year, I'm blown away by the iPhone 6s Plus.

I am a get the latest kind of person. With six months before the next one, I'd wait.

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
With the exception of the 6 Plus I can agree to this.

I have the 6 + and its the only iPhone I have kept more than a year. I love it, and apart from the camera "recall" issue, had no problems with it. Super iPhone. I didn't upgrade to the 6s (+) as they are too expensive for me.

To the original poster, if you need a new one get one, if not, wait. You can always wait for the next best thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.