Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6s or wait for 7

• 6s

Votes: 126 29.4%

Votes: 302 70.6%

• Total voters

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I am thinking about picking a 6s up this weekend with Tmobiles $100 deal with iphone 6 trade in. I could care less about the 7 and didn't plan to upgrade at all. But for only $100 seems like its worth for the bump in specs.

I had a 6S for a couple of weeks earlier this month (I have a pair of iPhone 6 phones). I was really impressed by how much more responsive the 6S is than the 6. If we weren't just about to see the iPhone 7 introduced, and if I weren't looking at full price to replace the phones, the 6S would be extremely tempting.

My 64gb iPhone 6 has been having hardware problems significant enough that I plan on upgrading after the announcement. What I decide on will depend on whether they keep selling the 6s as either 64gb or hopefully 128gb (at a slightly lower price). If neither of those are options then I'll likely go with a 7 at one of those sizes. I may opt for a 7 anyway, depending on the announcement.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
200 dollars off for the 6S, may not be worth it, especially if they include the A10. It's not usual to bump the performance in the CPU in non S models. Waiting is better. If you have a treasured wired headset, I wouldn't wait...

I own high end headsets, still I hate cables. Dilemma?

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
You realize your experience is not the norm, 7 iphones with issues in one family, Makes your rant kinda irrelevant.
You realize Just because the issue hasn't affected everyone, doesn't make it small or irrelevant, right?
I Actually have had many customers tell me about the same issues they are also having with their 6 series iPhones at the best buy I work. It is not isolated, you may not be having the issues but others of us are.

Kallum.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Since you got the 64GB version, wouldn't be smarter to wait another month till the new iPhone will be available, and then to get the 6s (or the Plus) with reduced price ?
I completely agree.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You realize Just because the issue hasn't affected everyone, doesn't make it small or irrelevant, right?
I Actually have had many customers tell me about the same issues they are also having with their 6 series iPhones at the best buy I work. It is not isolated, you may not be having the issues but others of us are.

Kallum.
I've actually come to realise most of the people who complain about "issues" actually have unrealistic expectations or don't know how to use their phones.

scott5626

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2013
I am curious. I talked to several people in passing recently and they have made complaints on the recent iphones and they are somewhat unhappy with their iphone 6+ phones. What are the common issues?

I know my question is a bit off topic, but I think it would be beneficial if it helps others to become more informed and then ultimately weigh the pros and cons.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus so does my wife and son. Overall we are very happy. There's minor software bugs that intermittently appear ever so often but it's usually so minor that a press of the home button clears it. Rarely is a restart needed. The camera is great and the speaker phone is plenty loud and clear. I don't see any common issues with my device. I'm sure some people do but I really have no complaints.

Neco1963

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
Coventry
So my contract expires this month in January and was eyeing the galaxy s6 and iPhone 6s. BUT, I was wondering if I should wait for the iPhone 7 because I'm really not feeling the 6s because it's literally the same as the iPhone 6 (besides a few new features which I really don't care about). The only thing that's pulling me away from the new galaxy phone is it's abysmal battery life. So, should I wait another ~8-9 months for the iPhone 7? I have an android right now and am willing to switch over.
might as well wait for the 7

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Let me explain something, I have Stage IV lung cancer which my tx team has been beating into relative submission with immunotherapy. If I need something I get it & the lack of storage space on the 16GB 6 Plus had become intolerable.My devices need to bring me pleasure or out the door they go & with my medical situation waiting another month? Nah!

I don't have the energy or time to haggle selling a phone online & the trade in value was decent. I threw a few more bucks in the pot & if the 7 is decent I will probably get it,in the meantime I have a snappier phone with roomy storage space. I am happy, my family is happy that I am happy & that's all that matters.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Since you got the 64GB version, wouldn't be smarter to wait another month till the new iPhone will be available, and then to get the 6s (or the Plus) with reduced price ?
I just picked up an iPhone 6s plus 128GB for my wife on Apple's upgrade program. Her plan is use the phone for six months payoff the remaining required to trade in for an iPhone 7, or if the 7 isn't all that, wait and trade on the next one. She really didn't think the 7 would offer enough for her to wait and go through the yearly Apple release ritual. $615 for a year including AppleCare+ saving about $540, still $440 if the price drops as usual $100. Used iPhones 128's are going $600 to 750 no AppleCare so that doesn't interest us. Assuming the 7 would be the same price she saves having to stay up late and keep clicking her order on the Apple Store, I declined the task.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Currently have an iPhone 6, 64gig. Not sure if it's wise to upgrade to the 7, or wait for the big update next year with the iPhone where the feature set will be more worthwhile. The key to an upgrade for me is, starting with the 6s, Tmobile improved inside building reception on the iPhone. My 6 does not take advantage of that. So I'm torn to hold out another year (will loose more resale value on the 6), or sell the 6 now, and get the 7, and buy again next year....

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Currently have an iPhone 6, 64gig. Not sure if it's wise to upgrade to the 7, or wait for the big update next year with the iPhone where the feature set will be more worthwhile. The key to an upgrade for me is, starting with the 6s, Tmobile improved inside building reception on the iPhone. My 6 does not take advantage of that. So I'm torn to hold out another year (will loose more resale value on the 6), or sell the 6 now, and get the 7, and buy again next year....
If you can then definitely hold out. The resale value of the 6 is pretty low already. It's not worth imho. Better to keep it for another year and then go for the next year update. Although it's all speculation.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I may stick with the 6s as well and see what the 2017 upgrade looks like.

My kids each have a 6 and I am looking at upgrading those to a 6s (BB had refurb gold Verizon 64gb units for $449 each). Figure after selling off their current phones, I should only be out $50-$80 per phone to upgrade.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
No plans of getting rid of my 6s plus anytime soon. It meets all my needs and I have not experienced any issues with it. It's really perfect for me.

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
My dad is looking at getting a 6S. He's just debating on waiting for the price to drop to see if there are any deals or if he should just go for a 6S at Target since they're offering the $200 gift card this week. He's not going to purchase outright, just going to add to his monthly bill in the beginning and then pay it off later.

I guess it's a matter of waiting for a $100 price drop and hoping there's a $100 gift card (doubtful on the card) or getting it now and getting the $200 gift card which would equal out to be the same.

Here is a thought. Since it is widely rumoured that the 2016 iphone has 32 GB as base storage as opposed to the 16 GB, will this be sufficient for storage and music considering many people will be limited not listening audio because they either don't find the quality of the BT headphones adequate or have their own selection of 3.5 mm jack headphones. The next jump is to 128 GB from 32. Of course, the other question is how many people these days listen to music on their iphone any more?

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I just picked up an iPhone 6s plus 128GB for my wife on Apple's upgrade program. Her plan is use the phone for six months payoff the remaining required to trade in for an iPhone 7, or if the 7 isn't all that, wait and trade on the next one. She really didn't think the 7 would offer enough for her to wait and go through the yearly Apple release ritual. $615 for a year including AppleCare+ saving about $540, still $440 if the price drops as usual $100. Used iPhones 128's are going $600 to 750 no AppleCare so that doesn't interest us. Assuming the 7 would be the same price she saves having to stay up late and keep clicking her order on the Apple Store, I declined the task.

The reason I ended up with a 16GB phone is that on release day that's all I could get online! It was take that or wait till the 12th of Never for a phone with more storage. I will use my 6s Plus for awhile & if the 7 is a worthy upgrade I will get it then. Besides, it's not like my 6s Plus is going to magically stop working when the 7 comes out.
[doublepost=1472803718][/doublepost]
Here is a thought. Since it is widely rumoured that the 2016 iphone has 32 GB as base storage as opposed to the 16 GB, will this be sufficient for storage and music considering many people will be limited not listening audio because they either don't find the quality of the BT headphones adequate or have their own selection of 3.5 mm jack headphones. The next jump is to 128 GB from 32. Of course, the other question is how many people these days listen to music on their iphone any more?

I like to listen to relaxation music at night having my playlist on my phone makes this easier as the phone is much smaller than my iPad. Start the playlist, darken the screen & off to sleep I go

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I like to listen to relaxation music at night having my playlist on my phone makes this easier as the phone is much smaller than my iPad. Start the playlist, darken the screen & off to sleep I go
I do the same. Just on Spotify.

Reactions: Geekbabe

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

The thing I am a little concerned about with the 2017 iPhone is whether there are going to be significant flaws/bugs/whatever in what's rumored to be a very significant redesign. Apple often takes a year or so to really get a new design free of glitches.

Reactions: burgman

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
200 dollars off for the 6S, may not be worth it, especially if they include the A10. It's not usual to bump the performance in the CPU in non S models. Waiting is better. If you have a treasured wired headset, I wouldn't wait...

I own high end headsets, still I hate cables. Dilemma?

Hmmm. You might have missed the past 6 iPhones which all got performance boosts.

Here are only the non S models:

iPhone 3GS-->iPhone 4 = 200 MHz clock boost, not sure about GPU
iPhone 4s--->iPhone 5 = 2x CPU and GPU, and 2x RAM (the biggest performance leap in iPhone history and it came on a "non S" model)
iPhone 5s-->iPhone 6 = 25% faster CPU, 50% faster GPU

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The thing I am a little concerned about with the 2017 iPhone is whether there are going to be significant flaws/bugs/whatever in what's rumored to be a very significant redesign. Apple often takes a year or so to really get a new design free of glitches.
Any new design tend to have hardware issues. Every scenario from the real world is impossible to test in a test lab situation.

Although there's a huge difference between "bugs" and hardware issues. Bugs can often be fixed with software updates but hardware issues are more permanent in nature.

My personal suggestion is to wait a few weeks before getting any redesigned device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.