Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6s or wait for 7

• 6s

Votes: 126 29.4%

Votes: 302 70.6%

• Total voters

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
I have an iPhone 6 at the moment and its coming up to 2 years old. Was going to get the iPhone 7 but the more i read things on here the more i think I'm better off waiting for the 2017 iPhone.

Might try out an iPhone 6S Plus if the 7 doesn't sell me.

Reactions: Anand953 and Dino F

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have an iPhone 6 at the moment and its coming up to 2 years old. Was going to get the iPhone 7 but the more i read things on here the more i think I'm better off waiting for the 2017 iPhone.

Might try out an iPhone 6S Plus if the 7 doesn't sell me.
I'm on 6 and it's still running like a champ.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I think I'm gonna skip this version and try the One Plus 3 instead. Lets see if the other side made any improvements over the years.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
Well today I went and purchased the 128BG 6s for $185 at my carrier. The S series phones are good enough for me and I know I can't afford the 7. My carrier had all smartphones 50% off. I'm happy with my choice...the color of the phone is new to me--rose gold. It kind of pretty.

Reactions: blaine07

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
I'm hoping the leaked AT&T stocking day for Sept. 23 is fake or irrelevant to the iPhone 7 launch. Getting it a week later would be somewhat unfortunate.

Anand953

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
2 options available to any buyer basis the following criteria -

1) Hard core iPhone users - If you own an iPhone which is iPhone 6 or before and budget is not a concern for you, go for the iPhone 7 without any second thoughts
2) New to iPhones / budget conscious - Get the iPhone 6s post launch of new iPhone (price will fall). Also iPhone 6s is still a great phone.

The next big upgrade will only happen in the year 2017. So ideally people should chuck this year. Even Apple knows this fact and thus they aren't betting a lot in terms of sales this year. They will be concentrating more on new macbook pro and other products to achieve their budgeted sales figures.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Look at how long Apple is taking to update nearly ALL of their products. Lots of rumors about how great the 2017 iPhone will be and this would be consistent across their other products. They've switched strategy and it does make a lot of sense revenue wise even though enthusiasts will suffer a bit waiting longer for updated tech.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
With the iPhone7 a month away, but at the same time, it is a small incremental update, maybe you will want to wait before its release, then get the iPhone6s which will become cheaper yet. You will pay a premium for a phone with a non-mechanical home button and hardly noticeable better camera. The iPhone7s is only a year away, one could wait for that too.
Another option is to buy the CAT S60 cellphone, it has a greater cool factor ;-)

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I am still very happy with my iPhone 6. The newest iPhone release will have to have a lot of new features for me to bite. Maybe if they offered a size between the 6 and 6 plus (fat chance), I would be more inclined to buy the iPhone 7.

Otherwise, since my iPhone 6 continues to work flawlessly, I think I will just wait at least one more year.

Joe C.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Apple will take that into consideration and eliminate the 16GB model for the U.S. product list offering. Apple could just replace the 16 with a 32GB, the difference is only around $1 for Apple per unit since they buy in quantities of 300 million units each time they place an order for flash!

Source?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
So my contract expires this month in January and was eyeing the galaxy s6 and iPhone 6s. BUT, I was wondering if I should wait for the iPhone 7 because I'm really not feeling the 6s because it's literally the same as the iPhone 6 (besides a few new features which I really don't care about). The only thing that's pulling me away from the new galaxy phone is it's abysmal battery life. So, should I wait another ~8-9 months for the iPhone 7? I have an android right now and am willing to switch over.

At this point, wait for the 7. Even if you don't want the iPhone 7, the iPhone 6S will be slightly cheaper once the new phone is announced.
[doublepost=1471598163][/doublepost]
This endless waiting loop is ridiculous. If you need new phone go and buy one that fit your needs and move on.

All the correct models will be useful for many years...

True, but as we're 4 weeks away from the iPhone 6S getting a price reduction, they might as well wait. If we were giving them the advice to wait in June, your argument would make more sense.

KiteboardFever

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
Greenport
It is really hard to wait for the new one when my phone is slowly trying to kill itself. What will the deal be with the new charging port?

Will i be able to charge with a two way usbc straight from my macbook 12" charging port?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It is really hard to wait for the new one when my phone is slowly trying to kill itself. What will the deal be with the new charging port?

Will i be able to charge with a two way usbc straight from my macbook 12" charging port?

You can get the 6s or 6s Plus for now and still get the iPhone 7 in a month. I will not go any further on how to do that.

Reactions: KiteboardFever

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
This is a really good thread for the 7 tbh.

Usually it's a no brainer to get the newest iPhone..but the 7 will be very different from regular users. I'm one of those people that HATE the headphone jack removal and it seems that the 7 will not have any groundbreaking feature that will make me forgive them for it. The 2017 iPhone, however, seems like it will pack a hell of a lot more for the headphone jack to not be as huge of an issue.

I would stick with your 6 until the 2017 iPhone.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I just hope the iPhone 7 cell phone reception is as good as the 6 and the 6s even with the less amount of antenna bands. :) I'm going to stay positive.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
What should I do?

1. Keep my iPhone 6 and wait for the iPhone 7s/8?

2. Upgrade to the iPhone 7? Honestly if there are no improvements to the screen then I really don't see the point.

3. Upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7? This is what I'm most tempted to do but then I wouldn't be able to use my Apple Watch. I could sell my Watch I guess but idk.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
What should I do?
3. Upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7? This is what I'm most tempted to do but then I wouldn't be able to use my Apple Watch. I could sell my Watch I guess but idk.
Moving from one platform to another is a big deal if you use your phone for anything other than basic functionality. Also it ties in with the community you're in, if you have more iOS people around you then you'll miss iMessage for sure.

Think about all the pros and cons and read up a lot. Make a conscious decision rather than an impulsive one.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Moving from one platform to another is a big deal if you use your phone for anything other than basic functionality. Also it ties in with the community you're in, if you have more iOS people around you then you'll miss iMessage for sure.

Think about all the pros and cons and read up a lot. Make a conscious decision rather than an impulsive one.

iMessage is being replaced by Messenger, Snapchat, Whatsapp ++, because they are cross platform. I like iMessage personally, but it's hard to convince my friends and family to buy a 800 dollar phone so we can use iMessage together :)

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
iMessage is being replaced by Messenger, Snapchat, Whatsapp ++, because they are cross platform. I like iMessage personally, but it's hard to convince my friends and family to buy a 800 dollar phone so we can use iMessage together :)
3rd party apps can never be as seamlessly integrated. Most of Apple users actually buy into the ecosystem rather than just a device. Unless you're part of the ecosystem you won't know what you're missing. Same goes for your friends and family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.