Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
That's one reason to deactivate it. I assume there are beta units out there with the SpO2 sensor activated?
Regulatory restrictions are for public benefit - so customers can have faith that things perform as intended/claimed. This is especially important for anything that claims to be of medical benefit.

Internally though, they need to test it to make sure it works and prove to the FDA that the tech is legit - so yeh I’m sure they do.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have not seen many rumors regarding the new one.. is it worth it to wait it out?

At this time of the year, I recommend one option: WAIT!

For two good reasons: 1) the new model might be drastically better for the current price point

Or 2) you’d be able to get a series 2 for an amazing price.

I got my series 0 watch (brand new) for 1/2 off when Series 1/2 was released. I then waited until the series 3 was a few months old before getting one that was “slightly used” for over $200 off on eBay!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Regulatory restrictions are for public benefit - so customers can have faith that things perform as intended/claimed. This is especially important for anything that claims to be of medical benefit.

Internally though, they need to test it to make sure it works and prove to the FDA that the tech is legit - so yeh I’m sure they do.

Well existing pulse oximetry devices are not reliable from person to person and cannot be counted on, so whatever the standard is right now is a pretty low bar.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Well existing pulse oximetry devices are not reliable from person to person and cannot be counted on, so whatever the standard is right now is a pretty low bar.
When you are Apple, and every tech blog, news outlet and YouTuber is waiting for an opportunity to write some clickbait about you, then that’s not good enough.

Fair or not, Apple gets held to a higher standard for these things so they need to work to a much higher bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeagleo

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
When you are Apple, and every tech blog, news outlet and YouTube is waiting for an opportunity to write some click bait about you, then that’s not good enough. Fair or not, Apple gets held to a higher standard for these things so they need to work to a much higher bar.

Perhaps, but that's not regulation, that's bad press.

Reactions: cwanja

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
At this time of the year, I recommend one option: WAIT!

For two good reasons: 1) the new model might be drastically better for the current price point

Or 2) you’d be able to get a series 2 for an amazing price.

I got my series 0 watch (brand new) for 1/2 off when Series 1/2 was released. I then waited until the series 3 was a few months old before getting one that was “slightly used” for over $200 off on eBay!
Yeah this is what I’m going to do.

If the new model does not have a bigger screen I’ll just find a deal on a series 3.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
The next series will have even more health features that they've been readying! Who doesn't need more health features!!! Wait for the next round and if you don't need the extra features, buy the previous Apple Watch!

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
Just wait another weeks. An Apple watch is not as essential as a smartphone...

I think we'll get:

15% increase in display size
20% more battery life
Water resistance up to 100m with no-click crown
New and improved health sensors
Slightly different housing colors and of course, new watch bands
Ability to charge your watch via iPhone (just like AirPods are rumored to have that feature)

Release will follow alongside the new iPhones in mid september (12/9)

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas

I think we'll get:

20% more battery life
Ability to charge your watch via iPhone (just like AirPods are rumored to have that feature)

I think you have everything at least, but the bolded part. Not sure that will come. Do not think Apple has matured their Qi manufacturing yet to send and receive in the iPhone. Just a bump in the maximum charging power would be nice. But maybe, would be a nifty add.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
20% more battery life
That would be enough to make me wait.
That would be cool kind of like how I charge my Apple Pencil on my iPad Pro 9.7.
I think you have everything at least, but the bolded part. Not sure that will come. Do not think Apple has matured their Qi manufacturing yet to send and receive in the iPhone. Just a bump in the maximum charging power would be nice. But maybe, would be a nifty add.
I agree but it would be cool nonetheless.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I think we'll get:

20% more battery life

I would actually welcome Haptic button in favor of eliminating the push buttons. It creates a stronger water resistance and its less Hardware externally for something to go wrong with the Digital Crown or power button.

Reactions: borntrouble

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
I would actually welcome Haptic button in favor of eliminating the push buttons. It creates a stronger water resistance and its less Hardware externally for something to go wrong with the Digital Crown or power button.
Rumor has it that is coming, just like it came to the iPhone. I think it has been mentioned in more than one thread I know we both have replied in. Would be a welcome addition.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
A slight twist on some other's comments:

1. Wait if you want the latest and greatest features. The new features may or may be worth it. No one knows. It's also possible this could just be an announcement in September with delivery later. That may impact your decision if you have something specific you're wanting to do with it in the short term.

2. If you want it now and price is important, check out the refurb store on the Apple website. Good deals to be had if you like what they have in inventory.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
2. If you want it now and price is important, check out the refurb store on the Apple website. Good deals to be had if you like what they have in inventory.
My plan was to buy a refurbished Series 3 but the one I want is constantly sold out. That's why I am waiting to see what the Series 4 has.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Easy answer. Wait. It's coming soon, you don't need one tomorrow (trust me you don't), and the way Apple Watches hold value, if you don't like, want, or need the new features, you will be able to get an S3 used for pretty cheap.

vintagekeys

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Hong Kong
Easy answer. Wait. It's coming soon, you don't need one tomorrow (trust me you don't), and the way Apple Watches hold value, if you don't like, want, or need the new features, you will be able to get an S3 used for pretty cheap.

Thats a good one btw, i feel this apple product does not retain its value very good. I would just wait till the new one comes around, even if you dont want the new one you can get the gen 3 brand new for 100 USD less or more, and the refurbs will be even cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.