Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the iPad become a Mac Replacement?

• Yes - the iPad should become a general Mac replacement

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Yes - the iPad should become a Mac laptop replacement

Votes: 53 17.5%
  • No - the iPad should stick to the original design intent

Votes: 171 56.6%
  • I don’t have a preference for what the iPad evolves into

Votes: 40 13.2%

• Total voters

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Very interesting @startergo . The screenshots are intriguing. The 2.6 App Store rating is not a good sign, but definitely looking forward to seeing your experience with Merge VM Pro for iPad.
To be fair one of those negative reviews was complaining about things the developer said were addressed (quick action items) and another was someone complaining that he could install and run Windows but Windows wasn't automatically activated with a license. lol

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Yeah, that's the thing. Hardware-wise, the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard feels like it should be a MacBook replacement. But the OS doesn't do that. To me, it feels like a very muddled product.

An iPad without the keyboard, acting purely as a tablet, has a very clear use case. But adding a keyboard to the mix has never worked for me. For shorter writing tasks, such as writing this forum post, the on screen keyboard is sufficient. Longer writing and coding is just more easily done on a desktop. Even notebook computers are a compromise compared to a desktop. But they have a place for people who need to take computers with them from place to place.

An iPad with keyboard that doesn't do everything a full MacBook can do -- what's the use case for this? Who buys that over a MacBook? I suspect many people buy the keyboard thinking they'll use it, but end up mostly using the iPad in tablet mode. Or they end up being frustrated with that setup and go to a MacBook. If I'm wrong and someone's having a great experience with the iPad + keyboard, I'd love to hear of their use case.
All of the iPads in my house have keyboard cases on them and the iPads are used in landscape mode with the keyboard 100% of the time in my case (wife sometimes swivels hers and uses the case as a stand).

Use case is every task that I can get away with - for anything involving a lot of moving of files I use my PC or Mac Mini, but I get 95%+ of things done via iPad Pro 12.9 M1 16GB/1TB.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Your perspective matches mine @Night Spring . I'm sure there folks for whom the iPad + Magic Keyboard is perfect for their use case; but I purchased the iPad Magic Keyboard to use with my iPad Pro because the design is fantastic. However, I found the combination to be too heavy and bulky -- so I reverted to just the iPad Pro and it is perfect for me.
I, too, tried the Magic Keyboard and found it too heavy and returned it.

This is the way:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
An iPad with keyboard that doesn't do everything a full MacBook can do -- what's the use case for this? Who buys that over a MacBook? I suspect many people buy the keyboard thinking they'll use it, but end up mostly using the iPad in tablet mode. Or they end up being frustrated with that setup and go to a MacBook. If I'm wrong and someone's having a great experience with the iPad + keyboard, I'd love to hear of their use case.
In my case, I've always opt to go the desktop and iPad combination route, which the iPad acts as laptop replacement... I forgo the Macbook because I would be pairing it with the same traditional operating system at my desk.

I like the idea of having something lightweight on the go, which has cellular capability... that way I'm connected anywhere without any concern for a hotspot. I pack it up anywhere I go and I can always reference something whenever the situation presents itself.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
iPad Pros with M2's inside. All the would need to do is add an Advanced Mode toggle (MacOS Mode) in the System Settings and if you are using a keyboard and mouse it will change into that. It has the hardware to do so...until it does that or they port over 90% of the features from MacOS, I could never personally replace Mac's with an iPad only workflow.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
All of the iPads in my house have keyboard cases on them and the iPads are used in landscape mode with the keyboard 100% of the time in my case (wife sometimes swivels hers and uses the case as a stand).

Use case is every task that I can get away with - for anything involving a lot of moving of files I use my PC or Mac Mini, but I get 95%+ of things done via iPad Pro 12.9 M1 16GB/1TB.
If the keyboard is attached 100% of the time, is there any particular reason it should be an iPad rather than a laptop?

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
If the keyboard is attached 100% of the time, is there any particular reason it should be an iPad rather than a laptop?
Not OP, but from my point of view: Preference for iPadOS over MacOS probably, and the Touchscreen functionality.

I generally prefer iPadOS, it’s a bit simpler, less distracting for me, and has more graphical and conceptual continuity with iOS. So ideal for my personal computing, and a treat compared to android an windows I use at work.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Bottom line: identify the tasks to be done and under which circumstances and choose the tools accordingly. SJ understood it with his famous car analogy regarding iPads vs Macs. The large majority of MR forums members and internet reviewers have still not understood the iPad because they apply the iPad in the wrong context.

The SJ quote was from a different time when different hardware constraints existed. Apple now sells the keyboard and trackpad accessory, there are pro apps for all of these things that you keep saying are "Mac" things - these things didn't exist back when SJ was talking about it. Who are you to say people using the iPad as intended are using it in the wrong context? Maybe you're the one who doesn't understand the iPad?

It's a line of thinking I see a fair bit on this site with some people, where anyone frustrated with the iPad is automatically "using it wrong".

As I said before, there is no ultra portable laptop from Apple at the moment. If you want an Apple laptop device under 2.7lbs, you're looking at an iPad. Unless Apple a) takes the necessary steps to make the iPad a full on Mac alternative, b) releases a 2lb-ish MacBook, or c) creates a new hybrid device, people are never going to stop trying to use the iPad in contexts you deem to be inappropriate. Apple needs to fill this segment of the market or the argument will never end.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Touchscreen.

Faster boot and app loading.

Simple app acquisition and management.

All apps are fullscreen.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Not OP, but from my point of view: Preference for iPadOS over MacOS probably, and the Touchscreen functionality.

I generally prefer iPadOS, it’s a bit simpler, less distracting for me, and has more graphical and conceptual continuity with iOS. So ideal for my personal computing, and a treat compared to android a windows I use at work.
Everybody else always lists iPad os as a negative and it’s one of THE reasons I have an iPad. I just prefer it to Mac OS. Everything is so much simpler and more focused

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Everybody else always lists iPad os as a negative and it’s one of THE reasons I have an iPad. I just prefer it to Mac OS. Everything is so much simpler and more focused
This is a concept that many techies can't seem to wrap their minds around. The large majority of people want their computers to be relatively simple. And before any tech-snobs dismiss these people as non-pros, they should remember that there are many types of pros: lawyers, doctors, real estate agents, bankers, etc. Most of these aren't interested in mastering the complexities of desktop OS's, but instead prefer an easy-to-use device that allows them to keep their cognitive power focused on the work of their chosen profession.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is a concept that many techies can't seem to wrap their minds around. The large majority of people want their computers to be relatively simple. And before any tech-snobs dismiss these people non-pros, they should remember that there are many types of pros: lawyers, doctors, real estate agents, bankers, etc. Most of these aren't interested in mastering the complexities of desktop OS's, but instead prefer an easy-to-use device that allows them to keep their cognitive power focused on the work of their chosen profession.

The majority of iPad owners I know are not even aware of something like Stage Manager and wouldn't use it if they did. As you say, they want/need a straightforward device. Dual boot? What is that? The forum dwellers here - me included - are a niche market. And I'm a retired h/w & s/w engineer and a lot of my friends are very, very tech savvy - they just aren't interested in extended iPad capabilities; those needs are answered by their laptops and desktops, which they are quite happy with.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The majority of iPad owners I know are not even aware of something like Stage Manager and wouldn't use it if they did. As you say, they want/need a straightforward device. Dual boot? What is that? The forum dwellers here - me included - are a niche market. And I'm a retired h/w & s/w engineer and a lot of my friends are very, very tech savvy - they just aren't interested in extended iPad capabilities; those needs are answered by their laptops and desktops, which they are quite happy with.
That’s why dual boot (or even just allowing a choice of single boot MacOS or iPadOS) would work. Want it simple? Keep it the way it is now. No one is talking about taking it away.

Want MacOS? Then install it. That means you have to be experienced enough to do it and to want it.

Works for me.

Reactions: Night Spring

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
That’s why dual boot (or even just allowing a choice of single boot MacOS or iPadOS) would work. Want it simple? Keep it the way it is now. No one is talking about taking it away.

Want MacOS? Then install it. That means you have to be experienced enough to do it and to want it.

Works for me.

I'm good with that as long it does not add cost or a significant hit to installed storage. I don't want MacOS so I don't want to pay additional for it.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC

Works for me.
It’s not as simple as you describe. Apple would have to invest considerable time, resources and money to create a touch version of macOS — one that includes larger targets for thick fingers as opposed to thin mouse pointers. Along with this, Apple would need to setup a support group for macOS Touch (in addition to the ones in place for macOS Desktop and iOS).

We have to think about this from a business perspective. Is it worth it for Apple to invest the design, engineering and staff to appease a tiny fraction of the iPad user base? (Especially when they already have a good selection of MacBooks to choose from?) It’s unlikely Apple would generate enough additional iPad sales to recover the cost of doing so. Plus, as MKBHD said: ”Apple is a company that makes laptops”, so can we really expect it to do anything to decrease MacBook sales?

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It’s not as simple as you describe. Apple would have to invest considerable time, resources and money to create a touch version of macOS — one that includes larger targets for thick fingers as opposed to thin mouse pointers. Along with this, Apple would need to setup a support group for macOS Touch (in addition to the ones in place for macOS Desktop and iOS).

We have to think about this from a business perspective. Is it worth it for Apple to invest the design, engineering and staff to appease a tiny fraction of the iPad user base? (Especially when they already have a good selection of MacBooks to choose from?) It’s unlikely Apple would generate enough additional iPad sales to recover the cost of doing so. Plus, as MKBHD said: ”Apple is a company that makes laptops”, so can we really expect it to do anything to decrease MacBook sales?
I, for one, don't want a touch enabled Mac OS. I'd be satisfied if a dual-booting iPad run regular Mac OS, with the touch screen disabled when in Mac mode. However, I do see how such a setup could be confusing and lead to much complaints from users.

As for Apple being a "company that makes laptops," Apple has discarded previously popular products before, notably the iPod. I think eventually, tablets and laptops will converge. The question is how and when, and also who. If Apple doesn't do it, some other company would do it eventually, and then Apple would be playing catch up.

Reactions: pdoherty

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it’s a good thing that Apple can’t possibly find the resources for such an endeavor.

It’s also important to realize that if they don’t, they will slowly lose iPad sales anyway to those of us that seek more.

Reactions: pdoherty

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah it’s a good thing that Apple can’t possibly find the resources for such an endeavor.

It’s also important to realize that if they don’t, they will slowly lose iPad sales anyway to those of us that seek more.

I'm sure they weigh the small number of potentially lost niche users vs implementation and maintenance costs. It's all about ROI - if Apple thought there was enough improvement in revenue & profits, you can bet they would do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.