Should we ban Facebook?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mncmoore, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

I think we should ban Facebook until we get a Facebook app for iPad. What do you guys think?

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Ban them from what?

3. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

They really wont care.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're welcome to do what you want, but I have no problem with the website combined with Friendly.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ban them from what? Do you mean boycott instead? FB isn't going to care one lick if iPad users don't use FB in protest of not having a native app.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

They have 800,000,000 users at last count. Good luck with your ban.

Since the upgrade announcement though and a move to completely FUBAR the site and all it's security protocals, i'm off of it completely and moved all my stuff to Google+.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

All this time I thought I was just avoiding the d**n thing. Now I find out I was boycotting it. :D

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Ban/boycott the website you can use just fine in the mean time?

Cool plan!

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Why not learn, work with others, to design a FaceBook app for iPad, and approach FaceBook themselves ... have them consider it - but do NOT let them see the code; but release it first ... they most likely will just purchase your business. ;)

10. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

lol

I was just about to say: Yeah! Let's use Google + instead...
    But then again... "There's not an app for that :apple:"

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Facebook should be banned from the Internet and Zukerberg should be sent to Guantanamo ;)

12. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I'm cool with that. I dont use FB anyway. lol

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So the idea is that if a product/service is not available on the iPad, we shouldn't use the product/service at all?

Thanks, but no thanks.

14. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

No offense but that is a preposterous idea.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Ban and Boycott mean different things. The OP' thread/premiss is incorrect. To ban means to cut off/deny access. It is impossible to ban Facebook from all iPad's since it freely available over the Internet. Boycott is to persuade a large enough percentage of users to voluntarily not use.

16. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I have a full Facebook app on my iPad just go into file and change a setting from 1 to 2. The app works great no bugs so far google for a full guide.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'n not in favor of banning anything.

That's like the bashing one gets here on the forum if they don't suck up to the Apple only people. I happen to like to hear various opinions and the variety it brings to the table. That is what a discussion is about.

18. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Facebook will release an iPad app eventually, as evidenced by the code in the current Facebook app that is iPad centric (if you're jailbroken you can even tweak it to work on your iPad). I think Facebook is waiting though for Project Spartan to be completed, rendering the entire site in html5 and then pushing out an iPad app that uses all the new protocols along with the Timeline update (https://www.facebook.com/about/timeline). No point in releasing an app now when the site will have such a big revamp soon.

19. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Meanwhile in China FB is ban. Just move there and u won't have any issue!

20. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

At least it's perfectly usable in the web browser, unlike Google+.

21. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Yep I agree. A service that we can sign up to for free, costs nothing to use and that we are not compelled to participate in doesn't quite work as we want, so the obvious course of action is to propose a completely disproportionate response.
    As far as I can see, most FB users are late teen girls who only post things like 'luv ya hun' to each other, and chavs who post pictures of themselves with backward facing baseball caps and their first and fourth digits extended for no good reason.

So if you do decide to instigate a personal one-man 'ban' of FB then you probably won't actually miss too much. You could probably use the time gained to read a book, ride a bike somewhere nice, or chop some logs for your Gran.:)

22. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yeh have fun with doing that while you are at it, why not ban all social media apps... be a rebel :p

23. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Thanks, states-the-obvious Man!

...except that it's not. try uploading a pic to Facebook via the web browser.

24. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Actually I will ban the FB app once it comes out ... No way I would install that one; I use only a browser for FB ... I'm even paranoid enough to think about putting it it's own sandbox on my iMac (ok, I will down-vote myself for that one)

25. Bob Maxey macrumors member

We have a FB app. I use "MyPad." Beautiful HD iPad Facebook application that rules. Fast, lovely to look at, it works.

No need to blame Facebook. Blame Apple because they absolutely control your device and the apps that are made available. Not saying Apple would not allow a FB application, but if they do not like it for any reason, it will never exist.

Unless you JB.

----------

Or forget the web and use "MyPad." Effortless uploading of images and when you click the little camera icon, you can UL images on your device. You can also control overall color if you want to enhance the color.

Easy as pie.