Should we expect for the iPP2 announcement in October?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drewjonn, Sep 17, 2016.

?

Should we expect Apple to announce the refresh for 12.9" next month?

1. They're gonna announce it this October and release it soon

24 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. Maybe not this year

86 vote(s)
    78.2%
  1. drewjonn macrumors regular

iPad's release pattern still confuses me as it's not released every Fall like the iPhones, I've put my eyes on the 12.9" since around March and I decided to wait and hope that they might release the updated version of 12.9" this year.

Do you think that this October would be it? Thoughts?

2. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

3. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

If we see any iPad, it will probably be a mini.

4. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

No, they announced new pricing and storage options at the same time as the iPhone event - that was your update!

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

We'll know soon enough if the 12.9 gets refreshed.

But I think v2 will update the display to TT and not much else hardware-wise. Will likely still have same RAM.

So if v2 is announced and if sales appear for v1 that are sizable (over $200), getting the original might be very worth it.

I can wait either way.

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Always keep something for more "story". The Macs are coming in Oct, no need for new IPPs too.

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Really? How did I miss that. I watched the whole event live and didn't notice anything about iPad price and storage changes.

8. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

9. mmartinezs macrumors regular

Apple pencil 2? Apple pencil series 2?

10. bensisko macrumors 65816

Not even the addition of the M1 chip (which would have been an instant buy for me).

11. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Just because Apple lowered the price of the iPads doesn't mean they are done with them this year. They've lowered prices of stuff before announcing new stuff. Personally I am doubting they WILL show anything new (which sucks) but I'm just saying it's still possible.

Kallum.

12. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Highly doubt the ipp will be updated this year .. most likely early next year

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

There has to be, we've yet to see a new Apple AX chip that is not introduced at most a month after its A counterpart.

Expect the A10X to score 4,000 and 6,800 in GeekBench.

14. Loge, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

There can be a first time. iPad updates are getting less frequent.

15. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Not sure the sound of an iPhone's chip now being more powerful than a Pro level iPad's is will be good for iPP sales. Perhaps, like the iPP 1, a new iPP with a more powerful sounding 'X' designation after the chip is needed, i.e., A10X.

16. rhyzome, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

rhyzome macrumors regular

The rumor mill isn't making much noise about iPad Pros, but I really hope there is an update.

In addition to the chips and RAM, the iPhone can even match the iPad Pro's storage capacity (256GB). More space is always desirable.

I would really appreciate a waterproof (or resistant) iPad Pro. Now that the phones have it, and considering the ASK is waterproof, it just seems the logical next step to me. Using the iPad Pro as a reader, for me there are so many situations in which I'm touching it with wet hands (condensation from iced drinks, a walk in the rain, having just washed hands, etc.)...the peace of mind would really be nice.

And systemwide handwriting recognition as a form of input using the Pencil would be nice, since Apple clearly has the technological capacity to do this as demonstrated on the Apple Watch (which is a less powerful device)...

New home button and haptic feedback to match the phones is also missing...

Apple Pencil 2.0 could charge wirelessly in a dock of some kind and be water resistant as well.

There's a lot that can be done for these devices...they're far from perfect or in a state in which no improvements are imaginable. The question is when, and I hope soon!

17. bufffilm, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Adding water-resistance to the Pro...when there are a lot more shortcomings and asks for the line, would be the height of hilarity.

You yourself list a few things (in your post) which would be vastly more useful.

18. JustMichal macrumors member

JustMichal

Well at least we still can buy product that works with headphones.

19. bensisko macrumors 65816

Besides the Apple Watch, is there one that doesn't?

20. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    P3 Cinema Display, True Tone, haptic home button, A10X Fusion, 4K camera, increased speaker output, Pencil 2.0, new more AR coating, 6GB RAM, Always On Siri, Black/Jet Black/Rose Gold colors.
    That would be the ultimate iPad...

But I'll settle for just the basic updates: A10x Fusion, P3-Cinema display, haptic home button, better camera, and more color options. :)

Kallum.

21. HarryWild, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Yes! I am for a new Mini with new color gamut display, SoC10X, 4GB LPDDR4, Taptic button, 256GB storage option, 1080p, matte black color, dual speakers, dual Len camera, upgrade FaceTime /selfie front camera, new rear quad flash, and pen optional!

22. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Tone down your expectations there. The mini will, quite likely, never get an X chip.

23. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

So you want the display resolution to get worse?

24. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

???

25. Math889 macrumors 65816

Ipad Mini is over!! FORGET IT!. Ipad Mini is Always on generation behind over the 9.7 Ipad. Ipad Mini 4 is the last Ipad Mini. Seriously, why Ipad Mini?? 9.7 Ipad is SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!