Shouldn't there have been SOMETHING announced by now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mouse., Sep 20, 2011.

1. mouse. macrumors newbie

If we're still expecting a release around Oct 14th, shouldn't something have been said by now? Even an announcement of an announcement? Last month everyone was saying there'd be a mid-September announcement for an early October launch. Well, the mid-sept thing didn't happen, so is the mid-oct launch still on the table?

I am new to this whole following rumors and speculating thing, so maybe I am just being antsy and I need more patience, but I am just afraid I'm not going to see something until November or next year or something awful like that ;)
    In which case, I'll go get a 4 today... (literally)

I don't want to be that person that waited for 2 months, gave up and bought a 4, a week before a 5 announcement, however, I am also not willing to wait 2 more months and if it isn't on it's way by Oct 15, I would be happy to buy a 4 right now.

So, do we really think this thing is still coming in the first half of October?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple will release the next iPhone along side iOS 5, iCloud and iTunes Match this fall (sept 23rd-dec 21st), just like they are advertising on http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No. We think...

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm speculating that the sun will supernova tomorrow, but no one is talking about it!!!! Shouldn't people be a little concerned?

5. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Patience is a virtue.

Good things come to those that wait.

6. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

It's true.

It seems like everyone is looking at tomorrow or Friday. If they wanted one week between invites, event, preorder and release by Oct 14 then this is the week. You can bet the phone will be out before the shopping season begins so don't get too freaked out. You can pretty much rule out the time frame of black friday through Christmas. Apple would never do that to their investors.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Not seeing any "next iPhone" mention in any advertisement...

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

No.

It is about time for invites to go out though. Apple does not want to release any info before they have to, it will hurt current phone sales. A release in the first half of October would mean an event most likely next week.

9. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I truly expect it to happen tomorrow if it's happening ever. (this fall)

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My phrasing was not the best, but what I meant was that iOS 5, iCloud and iTunes Match are being advertised as a Fall release, so I'm assuming that the next iPhone would be released along side those releases.

11. Saberon, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

Saberon macrumors 6502a

If there is no invite tomorrow, there's going to be screaming, followed by pathetic crying for hours on end.

2007 was Wednesday
    2008 was Tuesday
    2009 was Wednesday
    2010 was Wednesday
    2011 is...never coming it feels like.

Edit: Come to think of it, what a weird year for Apple in general.

A) CEO Resigns
    B) First ever non-June iPhone launch.
    C)Lots of iOS 5 beta's compared to past 2 years. Next iOS usually hits in June, it's near October and no GM yet.
    D)No September (at least Early September) event
    E)Rumours of 2 iPhone's being released.

Come to think of it, the event will probably have 1 day notice and be held on Sunday :D.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It just feels longer because they usually come out in August.

This year it's coming later.

oh. wait..

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'm still betting that we hear something this week, at the very latest next. And I am still holding onto tomorrow as the day we actually hear something.

But I will say one thing...This mystery and secrecy that I usually love about Apple and new products is starting to wear very thin on me. I'm actually starting to resent Apple for no good reason. After all, Apple has said nothing..So technically I shouldn't really expect anything. But I do expect something and Apple isn't giving it to me. So therefore I am pissed at Apple. When you get used to a regular release cycle it's fun to speculate and read rumors because you kinda know when it's going to be announced. That's when I love the way Apple does things. BUT when that normal release cycle is broken (ie iPhone 5) and 3 more months go by without even so much as a peep from Apple, it starts to get VERY annoying. At least for me it does.

I am going to give it until next Wed. If I don't hear something by then, I will still hold onto my iP4 and wait, but I will be done with the rumors and speculation that I currently waste time researching and reading about every single day. And when the day finally comes, it comes. This ****** is just rediculous. Enough already!

14. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Yeah I feel the same way, I love the excitement of a new iOS/iPhone/Event but I feel like my 'hype' is running really dry and I'm just waiting for the damn thing to be revealed. The excitement is almost gone and I'm feeling quite impatient.

I check my RSS feeds every 30 min and I feel like I'm going to go nuts. I see a new one for Macrumors and get all excited...and it's just some stupid store opening =(. I made a vow yesterday to check my RSS feeds before supper once..and that's it.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

2011 is the year Apple mindf*cks everyone. We don't even know what to expect anymore. They could start making toasters for all we know.

I feel you. All the speculation is fun when you know when you'll be finding out for sure. But when there is no end in sight, then the speculation starts to get boring.

16. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I don't really understand Apple's tactic of not even giving us ANYTHING to chew on. They have to know that at least the super geeky part of this community is anxious, tired of waiting, and constantly checking to see if SOMETHING has happened. It doesn't really seem like them to delay something for so long and not announce it anywhere.

17. rebolledo macrumors newbie

There are actually quite a lot of cases. I don't think manufacturers would bother to make them without being quite sure about its design. My bet is that it won't be long till we see a redesigned iPhone 5, but still Apple did a great job hiding it.

18. wovel macrumors 68000

SO like .2% of their customer base is anxiously waiting? But still waiting...The other 99.8% are still buying phones. Once they announce something and it makes the nightly news, all those sales stop. Why would they want to stop selling phones for a month or two?

19. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Both of you need to read the post by wovel.

Apple doesn't need to say anything. 99.8% of the customer base has no idea about release cycles and buy the current model and are happy with it. They have no idea that by the standard release schedule that this model is overdue. This is all part of the reason that Apple has the best selling handsets, they aren't hyping up their EnvyFascinateStormRidiculousnameCharge model two months before it is released.

For the .2 percent of us who are anxiously awaiting a new phone.... that is why there are sites like these. A smart person can piece together all the rumors that are floating around and have a fairly accurate idea of what is going on. Also if you think that Apple doesn't leak tiny bits of info you are very wrong. Before WWDC this year they most certainly leaked that there was not going to be any hardware there. If they hadn't people would have gone in with that expectation and there would have been a lot of very upset people. So with that being said... why do you feel Apple needs to say anything.

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

21. aluren macrumors 65816

Not if that "thing" is a 4S...

22. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Nope, it's Printers. Did you miss the announcement?

http://tinyurl.com/3pmksbm

23. MustangJoe macrumors member

I have a feeling something will happen this week because if you remember Apple said during it's third quarter earning call that there will be a "future product transition" happening sometime before the end of quarter, which ends on September 24th I believe. Also Apple will be launching five new stores this week.

24. CHRONiC YOUTH macrumors member

Probably towards the end if oct seems like they are a tad behind

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace