Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Hi,

Coming from Windows sometimes i hibernate the laptop but i have heard alot of people say with Mac's that they just put them to sleep. Firstly do you just do this for short periods as such as overnight?

Also can your carry them around whilst on sleep or should they be shut down.

Thank Youuu :D
iPhone 4 16gb :apple:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Sleep, only the RAM is powered during sleep, thus any movement, except hard falls, is acceptable and not harmful to the computer.

As this has been brought up one or two hundred times (more I guess), like many other topics, please refer to MRoogle for searching these forums first, to see if something similar, as in most cases, hasn't been brought up yet.

4561230714_d6e9a40397_o.jpg

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I just leave mine on sleep. OK, it uses a little more energy than hibernation but it's not wasting energy loading everything again upon activation. And if the battery dies, your MBP will just start up again as if it's been in hibernation with no lost of work :)

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Sorry about the post being recreated i should of searched so sorry to waste your time but thanks alot for all the replies its appreciated :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Sleep. I only shut it down when I take it places, which is rare.

If you have an Apple notebook, shutting down is not necessary when moving the notebook for longer distances, as no moving part is powered during sleep, thus no damage can be done by moving it around.

Sorry about the post being recreated i should of searched so sorry to waste your time but thanks alot for all the replies its appreciated :)

No problem and no waste (almost ;) - server space), not everyone knows about MRoogle or the Forum Search feature.
15evd6x.png

TRUCRACKER

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
VA
If you have an Apple notebook, shutting down is not necessary when moving the notebook for longer distances, as no moving part is powered during sleep, thus no damage can be done by moving it around.

So there's no point in ever shutting down?

sUGArDawg

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008

Uh, yeah, it's called "saving battery power"

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So there's no point in ever shutting down?

Not really, unless you want to leave the Mac unused for several days, than it is better to shut the Mac down with about 50% battery charge.

Otherwise, restarts are only required with some updates or software installations, but I never shut my Macs down unless I don't use them for a while (5+ days).

Uh, yeah, it's called "saving battery power"

If your Mac acts normally, only 1% battery charge are used for one hour of sleeping. Thus four days of sleep are in it at least.
You will consume more energy during startup processes than during nightly sleep sessions, if you power down your Mac every day.

But if you want to power down every day or for every bigger move, do it, it's your Mac, and many Mac users I know do just that. I enjoy the Sleep feature of Mac OS X and it is one of the reasons I use them.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK

No problem and no waste (almost ;) - server space), not everyone knows about MRoogle or the Forum Search feature.
15evd6x.png

sUGArDawg

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008

No no no...do not listen to this.

If you are taking your MBP from home, unplugging it from power, and taking it places, you are draining the battery if you have it in sleep.

Why in the world would you want to do this? Why unnecessarily drain the battery when power is at a premium (travel, airport, airplane, etc).

Stupid.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

If you are taking your MBP from home, unplugging it from power, and taking it places, you are draining the battery if you have it in sleep.

Why in the world would you want to do this? Why unnecessarily drain the battery when power is at a premium (travel, airport, airplane, etc).

Stupid.

I agree, why waste energy, if you can waste more. :rolleyes:

As I said before, only 1% of the battery charge is used during one hour of sleep, thus if you travel for 24 hours and the Mac is asleep for those 24 hours, you will still have 76% of battery capacity left, which can amount to 6 hours of battery time.

As Macs have the sleep feature built into its system, and the portables quite excel at it, why don't use it?

Btw, that analogy with energy everywhere is kind of redundant, as you would be able to charge the battery at those places too and replenish the "lost" battery charge in ten or twenty minutes after five hours of sleep.

My 17" MBP's battery takes up three hours to completely charge the battery (from less than 10% to 99%), thus every two minutes used on stationary power via the power adapter will bring you one hour of sleep battery charge.

Anyway, just remove the battery if you don't use it.

sUGArDawg

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Waste more energy? What are you talking about? Your laptop is running...on battery...and you're not using it. What is the purpose?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence

Stupid.

Ok, first, chill. No need to call anyone stupid. You barely drain any battery when you sleep (at least for most computers - mine drains more than I like, so I shut it down if I'm not going to use it for a while.) With a 10 hour battery, you lose like 10 minutes of use after 6 hours of sleep - basically negligible. You also don't have to wait for it to boot when you open it.

sUGArDawg

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
My point is pretty simple: you are using battery power when you aren't even using the computer. THAT is the stupid part. I never called any person stupid, so stop putting words in my mouth.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
For short distances I sleep; but otherwise for longer trips I always shutdown.

I also encrypt my disk, so what would be the point if I didn't turn it off when I wasn't using it…

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Waste more energy? What are you talking about? Your laptop is running...on battery...and you're not using it. What is the purpose?

To boot a computer, energy is used, even more than during some hours of sleep, as the booting process is a bit CPU intensive and the HDD is spinning a lot to load the OS into the RAM.

The purpose of Sleep is to not have to wait a minute for the machine to boot and open all the applications again.

I normally have 10 to 25 applications running at the same time, to close them all and then to reopen after the boot process has finished, takes more time and energy than some hours of sleep.

On Windows the sleep function was a bit different (in my Windows 2000/XP), and the actual going to sleep and the awakening took sometimes longer than shutting the PC off and starting it again.

Anyway, I use Mac OS X now and as I wrote before, the sleep function is one of the highlights, I even put my iBook to sleep and awoke it several times in succession and was in awe, but that was in 2004, when computers were still ... whatever they were, they were not for me. The iBook was my real first computer.

My point is pretty simple: you are using battery power when you aren't even using the computer. THAT is the stupid part. I never called any person stupid, so stop putting words in my mouth.

What is the point of shutting the computer down for half an hour while commuting? More energy is wasted during the shut down and start up processes than during the half hour commute.

It also depends on what kind of user one is, I like the immediate availability of all my documents when the Mac is just being awaken, others don't mind waiting.

I had several cases when I got a phone call and had to look something up on my computer while I was traveling. The Sleep feature allowed me to almost instantly find the requested information, if it was not available in my head, on my computer, thus saving time and money for the caller, even saving battery life on both phones, saving valuable network time and many other things. If I had to wait for the computer to start up and then open the document and the application it needs, it would take ten times as long. And then I had to shut the computer down again.

But if that feature is bothering you, please contact Apple and give the feedback via its Feedback page (http://www.apple.com/feedback), but it has worked for them in the last 10+ years with that feature.

I should power off now from this thread.

PS: I for instance, think it is stupid to power down the computer for short travels (less than a day or two), some friends of mine with Macs do that even for short commutes (30 minutes). I could never understand why, I even asked them and showed them the Sleep feature, but none ever could give me a normal answer. Saving energy was never in their minds either. They were just used to it due to Windows laptops not having such a nice sleep feature in past times.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Full shutdown every time. I've had too many instances where my previous mac laptops didn't stay asleep and basically cooked in the sleeve.

Cheers,

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I only bother shutting it down when I'm flying. Sleep pulls a little bit of power and I'd rather have the MBP on right away instead of waiting for boot.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Umm.... I like to see what would happen if you go through airport security with your MacBook/Laptop in sleep mode; normally for this, I shut mine down! :)

I went through airport security six times with my laptop just sleeping, nothing happened, as only the RAM is powered, the HDD is asleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.