Sick of ATT picture messaging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigMac36, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMac36 macrumors newbie

I am sick of ATT picture messaging. I have had my iphone for about a 1 and half and I am tired of never being able to see picture messages sent from friends on other carriers. I go to the website enter there ridiculous code and password and then.............. NOTHING!!!! I have been able to view 1 out of 20 pic messages I have recieved. I am new to ATT and I was wondering is this how pic messaging is for all of there phones? For me the iphone is strictly for entertainment, I have a blackberry for work and I love the entertainment aspects of iphone. However, the simple phone features like pic mess/sms-txts are really lacking... Just my two cents....

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Lack of MMS is not an AT&T thing, it is simply a feature that Apple does not include with the iPhone. (FYI, this has been discussed to death here. If you want more info, just look around and you will find hundreds, if not thousands of threads on this subject)

If it bothers you enough, then I would suggest using your BlackBerry full-time or getting another phone.

3. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

you can send an mms to an email address simply by inserting your email into the recepient phone number area in an mms message.

btw. mms isnt entertaining to me at all.
    an emailed photo offers so much more story and information.
    and the aspect of a full sized photo helps out alot too.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So, in other words, just shut up and become complacent. ;)

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Get with the program OP, this guy doesn't like MMS, so you shouldn't either. :p

6. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

any reason why your friends can't just send the pic message to you via email from their phone? i created a yahoo push mail account specifically for this and it does the same damn thing as MMS :rolleyes: i have yet to miss a single picture from anybody.

7. iblastoff macrumors 6502

obviously because more ppl probably have mms capabilities than an expensive data plan to utilize email with?

8. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Except for the ones not sent to you because they didn't remember to send to your email address instead of your phone number like 99% of the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm also tired of the solution to just use the phone number and carrier name with your email instead. Why can't people (and Apple) understand I can't force OTHER people to NOT send me MMS! If you have, say, roughly 25 people you stay in contact with via text messaging, is it reasonable to have to explain to EACH person why they need to send you email rather than text? Even though they may not understand why EVERYONE else they text doesn't need to make this request?

10. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Why hasn't a third party developer created a solution to this? Apple's excruciatingly slow response to user complaints is getting ridiculous and tiring.

11. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

i agree
    none of my friends have e-mail capabilities on their phones, so this means zero pics for me. Apple just implement a quick easy to use MMS app, and you won't hear from us anymore.:(

12. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

No..

Just don't start the 1,456,544,456,432th thread on this tired and worn out subject.

You know the phone doesn't do MMS BEFORE you buy it.

So why be so mad about it after you buy it?

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Don't view thread then. Stay complacent.

It's called firmware and every other Apple product has it. Apple usually doesn't sell products that are not continuously updated/improved - the best example being OS X.

And hearing: "you know it didn't have MMS, so why'd you buy it?" is becoming a bit tiring too. Guess what, I didn't buy an MMS phone, but an iPhone. There are many other cool iPhone features that I love. Not buying a phone just because it doesn't have MMS is sorta like throwing the baby out with the bath water. So, why the heck shouldn't we want MMS?

14. Jeremy W macrumors regular

It's not possible. Apple has to do it.

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

No one is saying you can't want it.

But why litter the front page with umpteenth thread on a tired subject?

Apple KNOWS you want it six ways from Sunday.

Of course, I am a forum admin on another forum, so my opinions may differ on this to the harsher side anyway. Repeat threads gets old quick.

Guess that is why the created the merge feature.

16. just o macrumors newbie

+1

I want an iphone but the lack of mms is keeping me sticking with my HTC. I did post the other day on a way around the lack there of but it seems like a bit of an inconvenience.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I totally see your point. But, like you said yourself, it's likely from being an admin. I just find it frustrating that Apple is withholding a feature that is highly popular. If they revealed their reasons, I think people would shut up about it. It's the silence on the subject that is killing me. If they came out and told us; "hey, we're trying to implement it, but it's making the OS too unstable," then I think people would pipe down a bit and be patient.

It's just that people are becoming a little distrusting of Apple lately. We read about App rejections and Apple saying stuff like "this app you submitted duplicates functionality" and we scratch our heads. How can an app be rejected for duplicating functionality when they allow like 10 weather apps? And what about all the clock apps? The native OS already has a clock and a weather app. And there are other examples.

I just don't know what to believe with Apple anymore. I understand Apple is a corporation and they are in the business to make large profits, but it seems like ALL decisions are purely based on maximizing the bottom line instead of consumer desires.

I don't even think Microsoft is this bad. Suppose Microsoft and Apple were switched. Do your think that Apple would have made their version of MS Office to be compatible with Windows? Not in a million years. I believe Microsoft lost a lot of customers due to this. People say; "I can use MS Office on a Mac? OK, I'll just get a Mac then." So, due to this, people buy Macs instead. The way Apple is run, they would have never ported their software for Windows. As for iTunes running on Windows? Again, purely for Apple's financial gain.

18. ~Phi macrumors regular

I'm pissed because they seem to have removed the text notification to visit viewmymessage.com when I upgraded from original to 3g. Not even being notified when someone sends me an MMS is extremely annoying.

19. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

When I purchased the iphone I knew it wouldn't send MMS. I guess others aren't as informed.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You guess wrong. I think you are misunderstanding people. Who here said "When I bought my iPhone I found out it didn't have MMS. WTF!" The fact is, people want a feature added onto their iPhone. As people have pointed out, Apple, who has the ability/authority to implement this feature, is likely well aware of this. A lot of people even find this a bigger problem than cut and paste. Yet, Apple remains silent.

What I find most ironic, is your post is coming from someone who has jailbroken their phone - thus adding features Apple never promised you....;)

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True. There have been hundreds of posts on various iPhone forums where new owners were surprised by the absence of several common features, from voice dialing to MMS to video to you-name-it.

Not everyone has time to read through zillions of posts, or scan websites for each detail.

And it's not like Apple advertises on their pages what's missing. Especially they don't give an example of the ridiculous method of retrieving MMS messages that they came up with.

People see visual voice mail, and figure MMS retrieval would be at least as easy.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think that would be fantastic if Apple came up with this cute/hip commercial, with cool music in background, of somebody getting a text with a link to a picture on it.... Apple, now with iNetPic.

23. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I did as well. But most people that dont read forums etc would not expect any smart phone not to have it. its pretty standard. I expect all hdtv's to have at least one hdmi plug, or a pc to have a dvd writer, etc

24. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Viewmymessage isn't that hard people, you just copy and past the id/password into...oh, wait...

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You cant get picture messages with the iPhone? I havent had mine long and havent had anybody send me a picture yet so i dont know. Havent sent one out yet either.
    Ill look around and get more info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.