'Sid Meier's Civilization VI' Now Available on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Wonder if they’ll port the expansion as well.

XCOM 2 next then please :)

2. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

Love the Civ games.

It’s amazing. I remember barely being able to run the old Civ games on decent computers. Now we can play the latest one on an iPad.

Mind. Blown.

3. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Why not? It’s not their fault Apple doesn’t include trial functionality in the App Store - this seems like a decent way to introduce their own trial system.

4. brentonbrenton macrumors member

Where is the desktop version for $18? I might pick that up instead over this iPad version.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

What a MAD surprise this was! 16 months to port a FULL (yes, full) Civ game to iPad is nothing short of astonishing. It runs better than on a laptop. DLC is supported (there’s a few minor ones already installed - so porting shouldn’t be too hard). I hope Rise and Fall will be out before next xmas, but for now my mind is blown by the first fully featured desktop class game since XCOM:EW.

I hope everyone throw all their money at this so future full game ports is seen as a viable market and the precedent set by casual gamers whining about spending any money on iOS games (even in this thread!) gets eroded. I really really want XCOM 2 WOTC next.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    It’s 50% off at steam right now, but that’s still $35.

6. dazed macrumors 6502a

Think I may pick this up for 30$. So much better to pay upfront rather than through stupid IAPs.

We need to support companies like this.

7. bob24 macrumors 6502

Yes. Espevially since some of the text is a bit small (at leat on a 9.7 device).
    The could have a second version of the app in the store which charges you the full cost as a regular purchase. Many developers do that.

Yes it would be better if Apple had trial support, but the second app would just take them a few hours to setup and make everyone happy.

8. DiegoEGonzalez macrumors newbie

DiegoEGonzalez

OMG, I really wanted to buy a switch but there’s so many games for the Ipad, that I may not even bother.
    For a full game. Civ 6 is easily worth 60 dollars.

9. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I have both. They're so different in gaming selection! Get a Switch if you have the money to do it.

10. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

is it the full game or a watered down version of it?
    Its a bit unbelievable to have CIV 6 on iPad since a full computer might have issues runningi t

11. AndyV macrumors newbie

I’ve played a bit on my iPad mini 4. Also purchased the full version for 30€. Interesting fact: On iPad mini 4 at least I am restricted to map size tiny (or whatever it’s called again). It’s the only map size.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I would love to know this too! I don't want another CivRev, I want a Civilization game!

Several people already said the assets were of lower resolution, and there may be less effects, which could account for the iPads ability to run it. And AI turns may take longer to process. :)

13. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Dude, it's an iPad. Obviously it lags behind the latest titles, but it's great to start seeing full and comprehensive ports of 16-month old titles than 10-year old+ titles or crappy promoware like Super Mario Run or Pokemon Go.

I've probably spent literal days playing Civ Rev on my iPad. The game just eats time, and it's great. It's loads of fun. Personally, I'm happy paying $60 or $30 to try this out. I love Civ, I think the concept works great on a tablet, and now we have the full game with all its intricate mechanics instead of a mobile version (CivRev).

I didn't like CivRev2 because it added too many animations which take time between turns. I don't like to disable them all, but CR2 just had some excessively long animations. Looking forward to trying this out once my iPad recharges!

Big thanks to everyone who had a hand in this. I'm hoping we see more developers bring their latest titles to iOS.

14. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Hope I can find the 30 purchase price.​
    Not going as much as 60

What’s 30 dollars in uk pounds

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

People should really consider how much play time they get out of it, and pay for that, instead of acting as if their are paying for the age of the original release date.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---
    10 billion in post Brexit £.

16. riverer macrumors newbie

This is fantastic, I never bought Civ6 on PC so I'll jump on this.

$30 for a game of this depth/complexity on an ipad is a steal, I already played it a bit to test it and had to drag myself away.

If they could enable a way to carry on save games from ipad-PC and back I'll happily buy it again on steam!

17. Alcibar macrumors newbie

I have played every version of Civ since the original. Only at turn 20 but seems to be a 100% faithful port minus the dlc. So far I am amazed and very happy with my 30$ purchase. Most of the critics seem to not be real fans of the game. Regarding the price, I feel like I am a patron of the arts and am happy to pay for such an amazing port. I paid the 30$ up front and never tried the free version. This seems to run as fast on my first gen IPad Pro as it does on my gaming PC. Resolution is not an issue for me as I started out playing at shockingly low resolution. As a veteran of 480x640 I find the resolution nerds amazing. It’s the game ply that’s important. I still occasionally play old games on dos box.

18. neuropsychguy macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

Sorry, it looks like that particular promo expired yesterday (for reference it was posted here: https://slickdeals.net/f/11032955-sid-meier-s-civilization-vi-pc-digital-download-18).

You can still purchase it for $27 (after 10% email/spam signup promo): https://stacksocial.com/sales/sid-meier-s-civilization-vi
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---
    It's the full game. I decided to purchase the game and am now in the later game on a normal size world. It's not noticeably slower than on a desktop computer. I've noticed some lag from time to time but nothing annoying.

19. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Then you’d have a second 3GB download.

20. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Your Brexit quote made me laugh at work earlier today.
    Since checked cost from civ 6 via iPad Pro -£28.99 u.k. whilst we are enjoying being part of Europe -no further political comment from myself -was gutted at the leave vote for lots of reasons.

Anyway that’s less than 30 uk pounds for civ 6 maybe I’ll purchase .

21. bob24 macrumors 6502

Yes but that’s fine you can delete the other one. And if you know you want to buy it in the first place and don’t care for the trial you can just go for the full download directly.

No one would complain about that minor annoyance if it enables family sharing, and it doesn’t take anything any from anyone as they can leave the IAP in the free download if someone prefers that.

Many apps I use are doing that already.

22. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Am I blind, or does the App Store listing make no mention of the $30 being limited time? Where did the $60 price suggestion come from?

23. The Kirken macrumors newbie

The Kirken

Yeah, it's an iPad mini 2, and at some point after the app had launched but before a game actually began, it briefly told me that it wasn't supported. Still seemed to play OK, in the early turns, at least.

24. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Oh boy! How much time I wasted on Civ II...

25. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Thanks for the info. I have a mini 2 so I'll pass on it.

On Steam, Civ 6 is on sale for $30.00 ($40.00 including the DLC) which seems like a much better deal.