'Sid Meier's Civilization VI' Now Available on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It was likely announced in the press release from Feral.

2. daveak macrumors 6502

You can do this, but requires some editing of one of the files. I tried turning on various other render options in one of the other config files, but then couldn't start a game.

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Oh heck, why didn’t I see this before I went on holidays without a computer :D

Has anyone else run into a graphics freeze mid game? I’m around turn 93, and can only do a turn at the time before the graphics freeze. The game still runs, as FX still play when pressing UI elements, but the screen itself isn’t updated.

iPad Pro 10.5

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

It does support it.

5. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

If it's soft looking on the regular iPad how bad does it look on the 12.9?

6. LCPepper macrumors 6502

LCPepper

7. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Or Apple could just add trial functionality to the App Store.

8. Comed1an macrumors newbie

Comed1an

Few hundred turns played and can’t put my iPad down. :D

9. bob24 macrumors 6502

Of course that’d be better. But the absence of this functionality is no excuse for not providing family sharing, as there is a an alternative way to do it.

10. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

What’s the problem with family sharing exactly? Does it not cover IAPs?

11. bob24, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

bob24 macrumors 6502

Yes the IAP will only work on the account from which the purchase was made, whereas a regular purchase would let any account which is part of the family use the app with full functionality.

I am willing to support premium games at premium prices on iOS, but probably not if the publisher is being stingy and not letting me use that $60 game on all family devices.

It is not a new issue and most smaller app publishers who use IAP as a trial mechanism have acknowledged it for a long time and offer a separate complete download which works with family sharing. Many will even go as far as offering a free download code for the full purchase if you can prove you have made the IAP (Infuse and Scanbot have done it for me).

Civilization is not the only game with that issue alright, but others don’t charge nearly as much and at that price point it becomes pretty hard for me to forgive.

12. Systra72 macrumors newbie

Really good port of the game. I am pleasantly surprised that it runs so well on 1:st gen iPad Pro 12.9. Prefer to play the game on the iPad than on MBP (a 15' from 2014), because of the fans and fast battery drain.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

14. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Ah, didn’t know that. Thanks for the info.

15. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Sensational game on the iPad. Could never get into it on the desktop, but it’s perfect for couch play and touch controls. Also if you have an iPad pro, make sure you edit the game options to enable retina and then use the console to enable “ui scale 2”. Also added a whole bunch of mods.

No phone view app needed for any of this by the way. It’s all available in the File Sharing tab in iTunes.

16. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

LOL yeah I bit the bullet and bought it at half off. Not disappointed. Best iPad game, hands down. Now if they could just speed up those marathon games on huge maps, I'll be set! Still it is a very complete game and I hope other companies take notice.

17. bigmanofds macrumors newbie

bigmanofds

I’ve only played one complete game on my iPad Air 2 (chieftain, Earth map, quick moves). The first 100 moves were fine, played like its desktop or console counterpart. However, after a 100-150 moves it gets kind of buggy. At move 250 or so it may take about 2 to 3 minutes per move. But it’s still a good playable game considering it’s an iOS game.

18. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know!

19. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

The thing is, I play it on both Air2 and second gen 12.9. It is slower on Air2, but totally playable. I just play smaller maps, which means fewer AI players, and that makes up for it.

20. BigSky20 macrumors regular

If they put it back at $30 or even $40, I would buy it (sorry I missed the into price)! Although it has watered down graphics (at least on my 12.9), the portability and touchscreen play-ability would be worth it.

21. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

You can change the graphics to render at retina.

22. BigSky20 macrumors regular

Can you only change it on a Mac or can you change it on the iPad as well (not using a Mac)?

23. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

You need a computer and iTunes.