SIM card was stolen :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnlandino, Oct 7, 2011.

1. johnlandino, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

johnlandino macrumors member

just ordered my 4s. but the thing is, my micro-sim as well as my last iphone 4 was stolen some time ago. it has since been found but has been stuck in an evidence room for the last 5 months and waiting for the pending prosecution of the bastard that stole it.
    now, im confused as to what i should do. do i contact the court and ask for my sim back? will att give me a replacement one for free? do i need to buy a new one?

also, i had to use my moms upgrade when ordering my iphone 4s, so im worried that the sim that comes with the phone will be un-usable on my line.

can anyone help?

2. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

dude, sim cards are free. how were you using a phone now if the sim is stuck in evidence?

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

AT&T actually offers completely free SIM replacements. T-Mobile on the other hand charges $20 for something that can be bought on eBay for $4. As long as you're an authorized user on the account and have an ID you can walk into any AT&T store and ask for a micro-SIM, provided you tell them why you need it. The micro-SIM included in the iPhone shouldn't be activated upon arrival though; though I do doubt the activation agent will be able to activate it under a different number as that might mess up the upgrade process? Either way you'll be able to use her iPhone without any problems.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

None of this matters. Your new phone will come with a SIM in it. All you need to do is activate and the old Sim goes dead.

5. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Can you get a sim tray as well for free?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

your iPhone 4S will come with a new SIM card. you dont need the old one

No, since that is technically part of the phone and only comes with the phone

7. johnlandino thread starter macrumors member

ive been without a phone since may 17th. longest 5 months of my life lol!
    that same week i also accidentally put my ipod through the washing machine.
    yea...my life sucks. :(

8. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

well when you get the phone im sure it will come with one and easily activated to your regular number.

you could have easily gotten a sim card for free.

and NO tmobile doesnt charge unless the people are DICKS. few months ago i needed a new card and just asked the girl she said sure and activated it for me less than a minute.

9. johnlandino thread starter macrumors member

i forget, but will i need to activate through itunes right on the device? or will i need to call at&t and have them do it over the phone?

10. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

Do they have your phone ir just the sim card impounded?

11. johnlandino thread starter macrumors member

the have both. my sim card is inside my iphone.

12. p1ally macrumors regular

p1ally

13. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I'll bet it does.

14. kromix macrumors member

STRANGEST. THREAD. EVER.

5 months without phone, you didn't even think of going to AT&T and figuring out how to get your phone back you pay monthly for?

15. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Well, I don't think AT&T would be able to help OP recover his phone from evidence.

The real question is why didn't he just beg/borrow/steal any old GSM phone and go into any retail store to get a new sim activated.

I'm thinking the OP is either a dependent, or has a landline and doesn't actually NEED a mobile phone.

16. johnlandino, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

johnlandino thread starter macrumors member

ive been having a real problem with the local police/court system about whats going on with my phone. they tell me conflicting stories like "you phone is in an evidence storage room at the court house" or "the police are holding it". and yet the court still says they need to hold the actual phone, while the police say i can sign a form and have it released to me but theyre waiting on the proper forms to be sent over. its all BS and theres nothing i can do about cuz theyre the POLICE. they are the ones who have stolen my phone from me, not the coke head who took it from the locker room at the gym. it furiates me.

but that aside, i have chosen not to have a phone untill i could get another iphone 4. its kind of nice to not have people texting me for BS reasons. if people really wanna contact me, the could call my LAN line. but im ready to have a phone again lol

http://www.ctpostchronicle.com/articles/2011/08/12/news/doc4e4528ea13bdb975514235.txt
    *for those who said i made this story up in a previous post*

17. salacious macrumors 6502a

um you can easily get your phone back, threaten the police with legal action for holding your property, or your just lying about this whole thing....

18. LagFighter macrumors regular

19. Deako macrumors 6502

Surely either of the following 3 applies:

• Liar
    • Attention seeker
    • Socially inept

Why on earth wouldnt you just contact your network provider for another sim?

5.......YES.........5 months??

20. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Get a new SIM, call AT&T and transfer your account to the new SIM... You are actually paying for service while you don't even have the phone to use it with?

21. johnlandino thread starter macrumors member

i have, but im a broke 20 year old. i cant afford a lawyer. it seems that everything i say or ask them they make up some justifiable way to respond and i cant tell if its BS or if theyre telling the truth. every time a call its a new excuse. they just couldnt give a damn. im clearly not a priority.

----------

because i didnt have a phone to put it in you retard. and i didnt want another phone unless it was an iphone 4. you should read the previous posts before you make yourself sound stupid.

22. androiphone macrumors 65816

when you phone/sim is stolen you call the network asap and get them to block that sim, and they send you a new sim (with your old number and account) for free which you put in any other phone (like a £10 nokia) and carry on using your mins/texts that you are paying for.

OP if you have been paying for your contract for the past 5 months without requesting a new sim and cancelling the old sim then - wow, you really must have money to burn,
    what would have happened if the person who stole it made thousands of pounds/dollars of international calls? you are liable up until you tell the network to cancel the stolen sim.

----------

well that just sums it up, don't be so pompous your paying for a service you refuse to use cause you don't want to use anything other than an iPhone???
    well sorry your royal highness, would you like the iphone gold plated and diamond encrusted, delivered by a thousand white doves.....

23. johnlandino thread starter macrumors member

hahahaha your so stupid. obviously i had that sim shut off so he couldnt use my phone. i never got a new one sent to me tho. im on a family plan so i had the account holder take care of that. and i prob dont make more than 10 actual phone calls a month on it anyways. i used it mostly for texting and surfing the web. when i get my phone back ill be compinsated from the days i missed from work cuz of this situation and the amount that ive been paying paying att for a phone that i dont have.
    and i wouldnt mind a gold iphone btw that would be pretty sweet!

24. dave006 macrumors 68020

OK, you will be doing and Upgrade Swap with your mom's line. Do you plan to go to the AT&T Corporate Retail store to complete the swap or do you want to try to do it by calling AT&T. Since you don't have a current SIM, I would suggest you go to the AT&T store with your mother and her phone and they can complete the Upgrade Swap and also provide any required SIMs.

The basic Upgrade Swap steps are just like last year and are covered in the iPhone Upgrade Guide: http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide under Upgrade Swap.

In your case depending on the skill of the Customer Care rep on the phone, you might need two SIMs. Does your mom have an iPhone 4 today? If not then she will not be able to reuse the new Micro-SIM that is shipped with the new iPhone 4S.

Did you pre-order from Apple.com or AT&T? The activation steps will be slightly different.

Dave

25. Deako macrumors 6502

Im sorry, but you appear like the stupid one. And i didnt say you were either of the 3 options, i merely hinted that one could have been possible. But you directly insulted me with "retard".

Still, cool story bro.