Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
To whom it matters, I do believe I’m done. After my most recent time out, I just don’t think it’s worth my angst to be a member of this community any longer. I won’t go into the details of the moderation, so don’t ask. This has been a great place to get help & advice and return the favor for others for me for close to 10 years and 10,000 posts now.

However, it’s just not worth enduring the mods’ inconsistency any longer. While I do appreciate the hard work of most of the MRF staff and volunteers, the implementation and interpretation of forum rules is simply too maddeningly arbitrary as of late.

To witness (outside of PRSI) what baiting, trolling, name-calling, flaming, and off-topic comments are acceptable while others much more benign and vague are deemed timeout worthy is at best cringe and at worst agenda-driven and targeted censorship.

Your house, your rules though. I may lurk, and I may not, but I wish you all the best.

Adieu, y’all.

Last edited:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
While I do understand that any forum will always have some members who complain about moderation, it does seem like these complaints have increased recently. And, at least to me, there is much more weight to complaints from members with as long a standing as @willmtaylor. Though I haven't experienced the wrath of the mods myself, I have been completely baffled numerous times as to how something is or is not against the rules. Perhaps the powers that be will take the criticism to heart and find ways to improve.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I’ve had some posts deleted for no obvious reason lately. Stinks to have members leave over silly over-active mods.

I guess some people will feel like they are wasting their time constructing posts only to have them removed for what they regard as no good reason.

It's certainly no easy task moderating a site the size of MacRumors with so much user activity. I find it impossible keeping up with just the specific subforums that interest me the most due to the sheer volume of posts. I have no idea how the moderators manage to do what they do. I don't envy them.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
If I had a nickel for every time I've had a post deleted, been banned or reprimanded on here I'd be able to treat everyone who has posted in this thread so far to a cup of coffee (maybe a tall at Startbucks with no frills, no grandes!). They run a tight ship here, mixing it up with other members or possibly even mildly offending them in some way almost always ends up with a penalty. MR just isn't the forum for that type of discussion.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If I had a nickel for every time I've had a post deleted, been banned or reprimanded on here I'd be able to treat everyone who has posted in this thread so far to a cup of coffee (maybe a tall at Startbucks with no frills, no grandes!). They run a tight ship here, mixing it up with other members or possibly even mildly offending them in some way almost always ends up with a penalty. MR just isn't the forum for that type of discussion.

There’s running a tight ship, then there’s just sinking the ship. I am also a member of more than a decade, who visited this site for hours a day, every day. Now, I might stop by once or twice a week. The value and entertainment is gone, with selective heavy moderation taking its place.

The_Joker13

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2016
Florida
No offense, but what exactly is the point of making a “farewell” post? If you’re done with this forum, just leave and be done with it. Seems to me you’re just seeking attention by declaring you’re done with MR. JMO.

Reactions: chabig

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No offense, but what exactly is the point of making a “farewell” post? If you’re done with this forum, just leave and be done with it. Seems to me you’re just seeking attention by declaring you’re done with MR. JMO.

Well, people might like to say a proper farewell, and explain why they no longer intend to be around or present in the forums, rather than just simply disappearing, which can come about due to either suspension, (or 'gone fishing' as the euphemism might say), or other life circumstances.

And that is their choice, especially as, if a member of long standing departs abruptly, others may wonder why this occurred.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Saying goodbye, perhaps they're intention is provide feedback (this is the site and forum feedback forum after all) on his dissatisfaction on how the site is run

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

For people who have been around for ten years or more, and have had lengthy discussions with many people, it’s a way of saying goodbye to those people instead of just vanishing with no explanation. I’ve seen some people vanish, and others actually get worried that something may have happened.

And also, in the case of this post, it’s a long time member expressing his dissatisfaction with the way the site is currently moderated, and the way that has changed the site (and not for he better), a sentiment I wholeheartedly understand.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
To whom it matters, I do believe I’m done. After my most recent time out, I just don’t think it’s worth my angst to be a member of this community any longer. I won’t go into the details of the moderation, so don’t ask. This has been a great place to get help & advice and return the favor for others for me for close to 10 years and 10,000 posts now.

However, it’s just not worth enduring the mods’ inconsistency any longer. While I do appreciate the hard work of most of the MRF staff and volunteers, the implementation and interpretation of forum rules is simply too maddeningly arbitrary as of late.

To witness (outside of PRSI) what baiting, trolling, name-calling, flaming, and off-topic comments are acceptable while others much more benign and vague are deemed timeout worthy is at best cringe and at worst agenda-driven and targeted censorship.

Your house, your rules though. I may creep, and I may not, but I wish you all the best.

Adieu, y’all.
Couldn't have said it better myself. When the trolls are running off well-respected community members like you, you would think the mods or admins would do something about it. Trolls run these forums now, and it's a depressing turn from the helpful atmosphere this place use to have.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Guys, what is the process for getting one's account deleted ?

Can I do it myself (ideal) ? Or do I need to write to a moderator ?

Reactions: George Dawes

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I have been warned, suspended, and had posts deleted or altered numerous times. Most often it occurs when I delve into the world of PRSI. Whether fair or not, I choose to go there and let it get the best of me every time. Not everyone is reasonable, rational, or even likable, but since forums are made up of many types of people from all over the world, you have to take the good with the bad. I haven't put my foot down and said enough is enough, but I do take breaks from the nonsense. Hope you can find a happy medium. Hope to hear from you again.

In the meantime, get outdoors, enjoy some sunshine, spend time with the family or friends, and then when you are ready, sit down and have a look. I find it not the forums that change, it's my attitude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.