since when does MAC not allow to move data to a hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sandeman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sandeman macrumors newbie

sorry to bother you , i got me a new MAC after 10 years of windows. now i'm
    in the ****** situation that i can not even move a simple jpeg from my MAC
    to a Harddrive. it says : `this item could not be moved because '' Motive '' cannot be modefied. In the old days this was an easy thing to do , move a jpeg from my PC to a connected Harddrive. now with that brandnew mac i can do nothin. does anyone else encounter such a thing and maybe solve it ??
    thank you its ... sandeman

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

read only permissions... surely you have heard of that in windoze...

99.8% of computer problems are User related.

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

Control + Click and select Get Info, or click once, then on the File menu, select Get Info. At the bottom are permissions settings, you may need to add write as well as read permissions.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i doubt that is the problem.

he is trying to copy to an external HD, most likely NTFS. he is stuck unless he reformats or repartitions

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

He may have some files on that drive he doesn't want to lose i.e. if he formats.

So now I'm wondering is the OP copying files under Windows to an external drive? :confused:

P.S. Sandeman, tried to send you a long winded set of suggestions via message but you aren't allowing PM's to be sent in your profile.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no, because it would work. drives come default as either FAT32, or NTFS. which windows can both read and write. i doubt the OP would have reformatted to HFS, because then it would work.

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

Gotcha. Then MacFuse, Windows in Fusion or reformat is his only option.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

MacFuse would be the easiest, or the similar NTFS-3g. nice suggestion

9. sandeman thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your responses, yes it is a NTFS Harddrive, the get info-thing ,
    i'm all through with that one , didnt bring me a yota. Regarding the PM allowance, i dont know what that is. i'm not that clever enough to figure that out. i would like to read what you recommended. my e-mail would be: rosh1958-net@yahoo.de
    just in case you could handle, to just send it there.
    the only thing i 've learnd is, that a new MAC is just a Crap-box , nothin can be done with it and sooner or later i will just wup it out of the window.
    thanks anyways for your time and advice.
    thank you, its ... sandeman

10. sandeman thread starter macrumors newbie

i have solved the issue _LOL. I'm sending the pics to my e-mail and than downloading them to my Harddrive. thats how far i have come with the MAC.
    i got this thing 10 days and i already hate it. thats a bad sign - i know.
    its ... sandeman

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well now i know why you have no idea how to use the computer. why did you buy the mac if you werent prepared to learn??

not boi'in it up, but wake up! macs are SO much more superior than your crappy windoze PC's.

p.s. give me your mac if you hate it so much.

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As has been suggested in several posts before just download two small free pieces of software and install and your Mac will read and write fine to your PC format NTFS drive.

MacFUSE- the filesystem
    NTFS-3G- the driver for NTFS

A heck of a lot simpler than emailing them to yourself! Just drag and drop them.

13. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    If you're going to do that, let people know so they can at least have a chance of catching it!

Your Mac won't take that much time to get used to, just don't get frustrated it and be willing to take the time to learn a new way of doing some things - it really is worth it!

14. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

The real question should be.

Why did I buy an external HD and format it to a windows propriety format that only windows can read, when i could have just left it as the FAT32 volume it came as in the box?

NTFS is not so good, yes it can store files larger than 4GB (FAT32s limit) but thats about the only advantage. the old wintel users excuse that you cant use it on modern large HDDs is total twaddle. That limit is imposed by windows XP or newer, not the file system. Case in point, I have a 1TB HDD formatted as FAT32. I did this because it contains all my video files and i ocasionally plug it into my X-Box 360, which although it is a microsoft machine, can not read NTFS volumes, but funny thing, it can read HFS+, FAT16 & FAT32.

as others have said, 2 pieces of FREE software fix a problem created by microsoft, just because they cany be bothered to adopt a descent file structure and made up their own.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Millar just so that you know. NTFS was much more than what you described. It completely changed the permission setting, allowing you to assign users to have access or control over certain parts of the hard drive. Its basically one of the backbone pieces to microsofts server operations.:)

good points otherwise

16. sandeman thread starter macrumors newbie

ok you win , im an idiot

so what does mac fuse do for me , or is it to complicated to explain
    that forget it , i still hate that mac no matter what i made a bad byu,
    well sheeet happens.

17. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Very simple actually- using MacFUSE along with NTFS-3g (links in my earlier post) allow Macs to write to drives formatted as NTFS. Without those two additions, your Mac can only read from NTFS drives.

Just think of MacFUSE/NTFS-3g as being a "translator" really- to let Mac OSX understand NTFS and interact with it fully. Just like having to use "MacDrive" on a PC to interact with Mac formatted disks.

18. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I smell a Douche! LOL

Seriously, Apple computers are not cheap.... I mean in general you end up paying 2x's as much than you would for your average run-of-the-mill machine that will run Windows...

So he bought a machine that he - A) Did no research on... B) Isn't willing to learn to use? The he want to blame the machine??

I'm a pretty new switcher... But i have no REAL issues with my iMac or OSX at all...

19. Smacky macrumors 6502

Not everyone is that computer literate
    Apple could just simply include ntfs write ability to make things simple

20. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

They probably will- when Microsoft agrees to add support in Windows for Mac formatted drives in exchange!;)

21. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Thanks, Its always nice to learn new stuff. I've never been anywhere near newer Windows servers (in a way I could tinker arround with) so I didn't know. my work still uses Win2K fir cryin out loud and Win2K servers (ALL workstations are FAT32 and so are the shared drives)

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahaha thats ok. wow your work is using pretty darn old software baha! FAT32 is probably the worst file system ever, i feel very sorry for you!

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just wondering if the OP is serious or just a troll?

24. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im not sure but it seems his keyboard isn't working for him either.

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Did you ever try to copy a file to an HFS+ formatted external drive using Windows? It won't work. Did you ever try to copy a file to an NTFS formatted external drive on a Macintosh? Well, looks like you just did. It won't work.

If you want to use an external drive with a Macintosh only, it is best to format it in HFS+ format. (The Disk Utility application lets you do this). If you want to use an external drive to share data between MacOS X and Windows, it is best to format it in FAT32 format. (The Disk Utility application lets you do this). If it is NTFS formatted, only Windows can read it until Microsoft allows others to use this functionality.