Single-Lens Google Pixel 2 Camera Takes Top Spot From iPhone 8 Plus in DxO Labs Tests

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2017.

1. 0lf, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

0lf macrumors regular

0lf

This explain your statement : you don't think enough.
    Sure, if your hypothesis is based on smartphone photography usage, with a very large proportion of devices which have no good quality zoom available, you will have a hard time extrapolate...

PS : since you allow yourself to be condescending, I feel free to be condescending too.

2. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

sidewinder3000

Simply not true.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    You do realize that a feature like that could dramatically increase image quality/clarity, especially in low light or zoom situations, as much as two stops?

3. symphara macrumors 6502a

But that's only for the narrow-angle lens, right? How many times do you use that one? It's one feature I just don't need on my phone.

4. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

You’ll use image stabilization in every photo you take. It’s not something you turn on or off. It’s part of the mechanics. And having it on both modules is awesome.

5. symphara macrumors 6502a

I don't mean OIS, I mean the narrow-angle lens. I don't really care about that.

6. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Hahaha yeah it’s me who doesn’t ‘think enough’. Enjoy your awesome zoom and all the awesome pictures you take with it. Everyone else will go on using it virtually never.

7. symphara macrumors 6502a

It just has two angles, the normal and the narrow(er) one, which isn't narrow enough to qualify as "telephoto", as many incorrectly label it. And it doesn't qualify as "zoom" either, you'd need to be able to continually adjust the focal distance of the lens, and it can't do that.

To be honest I don't know why Apple added such a feature. Seems so particular in use as to be nearly useless. Was anyone in need of it? It's funny that Samsung went ahead to copy it immediately.

At least the wide angle lens put in by LG has some justification.

8. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

sidewinder3000

Sorry, but I agree with the original poster as well. Your casual sense of righteousness is in stark contrast with the lack of validity in your conclusion. And your “RAW analogy” is wayyyy off. It’s not about finding some purist format like RAW that is only used by photo hobbyists who love coloring all their images in post. It’s about comparing apples to apples, so to speak. Just as you wouldn’t compare one camera’s photos taken in JPEG with another camera’s taken in RAW (even if those were the defaults for the respective cameras) they shouldn’t compare JPEG images in one camera with HEIF images in another. They should compare like with like, JPEG with JPEG.

My guess is that HEIF images may get better over time, as the formate evolves, but in the meantime, I absolutely would have preferred they test the iPhone by taking images in both JPEG and HEIF, so we could ALL see the difference and decide for ourselves. The whole point of ****ing camera tests is to gather real world evidence so we don’t have to speculate.
    Are you saying your phone doesn’t have two lenses? How could you know you’d never use it until you had it around and tried it in your daily workflow?

Every Portrait mode photo uses the more telephoto “2x” lens. I use the 2x lens all the time. One of my favorite uses is with the Pano mode. It removes a lot of distortion and crops out a lot of sky and ground. Overall, I probably use the 2x lens and/or Portrait mode in half of my shots. It’s an absolutely fantastic benefit of having dual lenses and it would be a bummer to live without it now that I’ve experienced it.

9. hifimacianer macrumors member

What?
    The bokeh of the Pixel looks fake and has artifacts. The AI seems to think that there is a face in the trees in Background, because they are partially in Focus.
    But Google obviously did a poor job to implement these features only with AI.
    The bokeh effekt looks terrible on the Pixel. It Looks fake, and it has artifacts/failures, where areas in the backgound are in focus.
    For me the iPhone tones look more real, because it seems that the warm ambient light is considered here.
    On the Image taken with the Pixel she looks like a Zombie.
    It's getting even more obvious on the Image with the chain of lights in the background.

10. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

Ah. Well I know it’s subjective but I use the zoom lens tons.

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Isn't the iPhone X's camera exactly the same as the iPhone 8 Plus?

12. thebeans macrumors 6502

That could be. I wish things like this had the photos without revealing which phone took them. Let readers pick which ones they think are best. Then you could click a link or something that would reveal which phones took which photos. That way readers could see which one they REALLY think is best and not be swayed by the personal biases that we all have.
    Yep that particular example is quite hideous. I would guess it may get better over time with software updates. Not sure it can ever be as accurate or produce results as good as a dual camera setup

13. imacalot macrumors newbie

imacalot

Both iPhone and Pixel cameras look great. It's crazy how not many noticed the bokeh effect not working properly in one of the pixel portrait shots. To me that's a -2 points right there.

It's amazing what google is doing though. Google is gaining a lot of momentum. I don't see Apple leading the industry anymore. Get ready for the shift. I'm getting me a Pixel 2 XL

14. rpramanik macrumors regular

Love the discussion. I for one, use and like optical zoom. So happy with that on my 7 + and look forward to that.

15. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Nope. You compare things that ARE USED, not things that are NOT USED. There is virtually NO purpose in THAT data. It tells a customer what?? What does it tell a customer? It tells them that their phone will shoot better images compared to Y phone IF they switch to JPEG which 99% of people will not do. In other words, that data is useless data to them. And not only useless, but actually, potentially deceitful due to the fact that most people wouldn’t even know that there was the distinction that it is only if they specifically go into settings and set their device to the non-default, higher storage-taking format, which the vast majority of people have no idea what a format is even in the most basic sense of the term.

I’m sorry people don’t understand this. As I said though, a comparison JPEG to JPEG would be cool for entertainment purposes.

16. alex cochez macrumors newbie

17. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

totally. like how iphones are on top 10. fully agreed with you.

18. ke-iron macrumors 65816

The iPhone takes a better picture in the carousel scene, but the google pixel takes a better picture in the other scene with items on the desk. However by better I mean it looks better to me, also we do not know what the exact scene looked like because we were not there. We don't know which camera is closer to reproducing what the scene looked like at that moment. I'm going to lean towards the iPhone simply because Apple has always leaned on the side of truer look than artificial or vibrant look, though in some scenes an increased vibrant colors does look better, even though the original scene may not have looked like that.

19. symphara macrumors 6502a

My phone has two lenses, same angle, one color and the other monochrome. That's how it does what you call "portrait mode", on my phone is actually a much more flexible "wide aperture" mode which lets you adjust the aperture (thus the amount of bokeh) and the focus point, even after you take the shot.

It never occurred to me that I'd need a narrow angle lens. If it was a real zoom - definitely, an actual telephoto, maybe. But just a narrower angle? I don't think I need that.

On occasion I would have liked a wide angle lens like the LGs do, but that's about it.

What's interesting to me is that the newer Huaweis (Mate 9 and the P10s) use a 20Mpx monochrome sensor and a 12Mpx color sensor. If you shoot in 12Mpx color shots, it lets you actually zoom without artefacts up to 20Mpx. This is nice for framing. I'm sure the Mate 10 will offer something like this.

20. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

21. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

What do you mean narrow angle?
    The second lens in the iphone + is real tele lens.

22. 0lf, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

0lf macrumors regular

0lf

20 to 12MP is 1.3x zoom. Much less than the 2x telephoto module on the iPhone. And color definition is still 6MP green, 3MP blue and red, so in practice you have less color information than a 20MP color filtered sensor, and so less than 1.3x headroom. So I am more intersted in the Apple implementation.
    And for now I will continue to call it telephoto for commodity reason, even if it is closer to a narrow standard fov

23. symphara macrumors 6502a

I think zoom, even in small amounts, is much more useful (for framing) than a fixed lens that's not optically very good nor very bright. It's not even stabilized as far as I know (only the X?). I also think that wide-angle is much better. The V30 did that one right, if it had anything but a sub-mediocre front camera, it would have tempted me.

I understand you like this iPhone/Note 8 implementation, but I'm sorry, I don't find it that useful. With my DSLR I use this kind of lens (50mm) rarely, when I want to shoot portraits, but my prime is a 2.4 and has beautiful resolution, so it actually has some advantages which you don't have on the iPhone.

56mm full frame equivalent, as far as I know. It's just a fixed lens with a narrow angle. Calling it "telephoto" is seriously stretching the term. Sorry, not buying into Apple's marketing bs.

24. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

well, real optical zoom is simply unavailable in phone atm until some digital lens technologies will somehow solve not getting the phone thicker.

and about the narrow lens, if it's a fixed 2X tele than the other wide angle lens,
    it provides the option to get a quality image if you wanna get closer.
    it's very usable, and it;s more than just being narrower.
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0yJu8EH6GKLuqc